Just Audio AHA-120 Appreciation Thread
Jun 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #63 of 110
After having enjoyed the AHA-120 for a long time I am getting curious about the Just Audio 
µDAC-2496. 

Has anyone tried this DAC? Or any comparisons to for instance the ODAC?

I can not find any reviews here on head-fi on the Just Audio 
µDAC-2496. Maybe the few comments drowns in Nuforce 
µDAC search results? So I hope someone here can help with a few impressions...

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #64 of 110
After having enjoyed the AHA-120 for a long time I am getting curious about the Just Audio µDAC-2496. 

Has anyone tried this DAC? Or any comparisons to for instance the ODAC?

I can not find any reviews here on head-fi on the Just Audio µDAC-2496. Maybe the few comments drowns in Nuforce µDAC search results? So I hope someone here can help with a few impressions...

You might have to take a leap of faith and buy it. Then be the first to share your impressions.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #65 of 110
The iBasso DB2 could also be an option. Same DAC'chips and balanced option. The iBasso has optical which would be perfect for my Mac laptop. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #68 of 110
Took delivery of my AHA yesterday so very early days.
So far though I am very pleased using both my Sennheiser HD800 and my Grado PS1000 with the Astell Kern AK120 as source.
I bought one of the original UHA so I was a fan already, not sure why I took so long to upgrade.

It is BIG though.

Would be interested to know what gain settings others are using, mine is currently on 12x and am wondering if 6x would be preferable.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #69 of 110
Quote:
Took delivery of my AHA yesterday so very early days.
So far though I am very pleased using both my Sennheiser HD800 and my Grado PS1000 with the Astell Kern AK120 as source.
I bought one of the original UHA so I was a fan already, not sure why I took so long to upgrade.

It is BIG though.

Would be interested to know what gain settings others are using, mine is currently on 12x and am wondering if 6x would be preferable.

Using my 350 Ohm TZAR350 IEMs I have to go down to 6x gain. IT suits it better and I can turn the volume up to 10-11. Before I had to be very close to 8-9 causing channel imbalance. It still sounds just as powerful and delightful to my ears. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #70 of 110
I've been absent from this thread for no good reason.

I've owned an AHA-120 and uDAC 2496 for about 4 months now.

The uDac has put the Duet to shame.

The aha 120 has taken the crown from the Lisa III and even the Pico Slim.
The Pico Slim was great for IEM with silent background, but couldn't power high impedance units.
Likewise, the Lisa III could drive all the full sized phones but had hiss with many iem's (particularly the JH13s).

The greatest portable trick up the aha 120's sleeve is that when using an iMod, it does NOT require a PV CAP as it has isolating capacitors on the input already.  This means that it's size is less of an issue as it cuts out a large 'box' of capacitors.

I'm happy to demo the kit at the London show on Saturday.

Did I mention that I use it as my home amp too?  It sounds more musical than the SPL Phonitor to me.

Regards

Sceptre

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #71 of 110
I would love to compare it directly to the LISA III. I had the LISA III some years ago and it was very enjoyable. I do enjoy the AHA-120 just as much though. It drives everything with power and authority. My T5p shines with this amplifier. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #73 of 110
How would these compare to ALO's Continental V3, in terms of power output and sound quality? From what I've read, they're somehow simlar in sound signatude and price.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #74 of 110
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #75 of 110
Looking forward to try the uDac at the London meet.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back