Just Audio AHA-120 Appreciation Thread
May 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #46 of 110
Quote:
Ahh - so happy to hear that 
normal_smile%20.gif

I agree!!! I am happy to hear more and more people find the joy of this amplifier! I brought my AHA-120 to a meet some weeks ago and there was NO OTHER portable amp that could compete with it. Together with my Heir TZAR 350 it sounds so good. It is my very best setup I have at the moment that it beats my Concerto + T5p in some aspects. Even though the new Heir Rendition1 portable amp sounded very DRY and had such a punchy sound with my TZAR 350 the AHA-120 extended the soundstage of the TZAR 350 by a wide margin and still added the weight and punch to the very analytical TZAR's. 

Now I am thinking if the Just Audio 
µDAC-2496 portable DAC is this good? Can it maybe compete with the ODAC? I would love to give the Just Audio DAC a review.

Now we need somebody to do comparative evaluation of the heavyweights, AHA-120  -  the Continental  -  Lisa  L3  -  SR-71A

May 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #50 of 110
Quote:
Yes, I'm so happy with it that I'll be purchasing the uHA for a bit more portability as soon as I can!

I had the uHA on a loan for a few days. I have to admit that it did not impress me nearly as much as the AHA-120 did. The AHA-120 blew me away from first listen and still does but the uHA could not compete with my Quickstep or iQube. That is probably because of synergy with the headphones I use - more so than it being a bad amplifier. 

May 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #51 of 110
I had the uHA on a loan for a few days. I have to admit that it did not impress me nearly as much as the AHA-120 did. The AHA-120 blew me away from first listen and still does but the uHA could not compete with my Quickstep or iQube. That is probably because of synergy with the headphones I use - more so than it being a bad amplifier. 

Yeah, I've heard the aha 120 is much better than the uha. I'm more curious about the uha 120 D with the in built dac.

May 13, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #53 of 110
Dryvadeum

No hiss that I notice. All sounds very clean and precise. Way above what I have heard from my Graham Slee Voyager or Little Dot

I'm curious about the C3 and how it would go double amped. I currently have an ipod 5.5g video and have heard the C3 is better quality.

May 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #54 of 110
Hi All
Looking at the google images of the AHA I notice that there is a picture of two AHA's side by side with both volume knobs at 12.00 and a headphone lead split into two by the looks of things with one jack plug in each amp.
I deduce by this that each amp powers a left/right channel in the headphones?
If this is the case, is this none so each amp has less demand/load or is there more to this that I'm not yet with my limited knowledge understanding?
I'm curious to know the improvement for this and also the application for it?
Would this mean that the pair of Amps could drive harder to drive headphones. Maybe LCD2's etc?
I just wonder that if I'm thinking about ordering a uHA In future, maybe I should save up a tad longer and get another AHA instead so I can do this?
Oh yes one more question, how would you use the input? Would you also need a split cable from eg in my case a 30 pin apple LOD to two jack plugs?
Many thanks
Richard

May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #56 of 110

Hi All
Looking at the google images of the AHA I notice that there is a picture of two AHA's side by side with both volume knobs at 12.00 and a headphone lead split into two by the looks of things with one jack plug in each amp.
I deduce by this that each amp powers a left/right channel in the headphones?
If this is the case, is this none so each amp has less demand/load or is there more to this that I'm not yet with my limited knowledge understanding?
I'm curious to know the improvement for this and also the application for it?
Would this mean that the pair of Amps could drive harder to drive headphones. Maybe LCD2's etc?
I just wonder that if I'm thinking about ordering a uHA In future, maybe I should save up a tad longer and get another AHA instead so I can do this?
Oh yes one more question, how would you use the input? Would you also need a split cable from eg in my case a 30 pin apple LOD to two jack plugs?
Many thanks
Richard

Using two amps is for a balanced audio signal feed to a balanced wired headphones. There is a single and there is a balanced way to send an audio signal from an amplifier to a headphones. There are advantages and also disadvantages to have a headphones recabled into a balanced mode, it depends on the type of  headphones. There are amplifiers, including portable ones, that can drive headphones in both single and balanced mode, that means they have a single line out and a balanced line out. For example in portable ones - Emmeline SR-71B [a good balanced line out but the quality of the single line out is inferior to the single line out of its sister amplifier SR-71A ] and Rx Mk3-B. AHA-120 has only a single mode line out and so in order to drive a balanced cabled headphones two amplifiers are needed, one for each channel. As for the audio signal being fed into a balanced amplifier, this signal can be a 'single' signal going into a single line in of an amplifier and the amplifier of this kind will turn this signal into a split two balanced ones or the incoming signal is already in the balanced mode and is fed in into  balanced line in/line ins. These balanced line ins can be either two RCA separate ones one for each channel or can be in the form of 3 or 5 pin XLR balanced line ins. The balanced line out from an amplifier is usually in the form of either 3 pin or 5 pin XLR out.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/576339/balanced-vs-single-ended-poll
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620876/my-theory-on-balanced-vs-single-ended-for-high-low-impedance-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/248699/struggling-with-questions-about-balanced-vs-single-ended-audio
http://www.head-fi.org/t/225018/differences-for-cans-balanced-vs-single-ended
A caveat -  "...[a balanced amplifier] does suffer from the same shortcomings compared to the best of single ended portable amps. It doesn’t quite have the composure of high quality single ended amps, the mid range, the soundstage depth, image, and coherence,..." - http://www.headfonia.com/the-power-pack-alo-rx-mk3-b/

May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #57 of 110
Quote:
I'm curious about the C3 and how it would go double amped. I currently have an ipod 5.5g video and have heard the C3 is better quality.

The C3 is much better quality, at least in terms of music. The interface is poor in comparison and you will not enjoy finding the music so much but once you hit the play button you will be blown away. It depends on what music you listen to but anything with simple voice and guitar or voice and piano and you will be amazed. Even 80s synth music benefits.

May 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #58 of 110
The C3 is much better quality, at least in terms of music. The interface is poor in comparison and you will not enjoy finding the music so much but once you hit the play button you will be blown away. It depends on what music you listen to but anything with simple voice and guitar or voice and piano and you will be amazed. Even 80s synth music benefits.

I've heard the C3 is a little bass light though, is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back