Just Audio AHA-120 Appreciation Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #31 of 110
Yes it has the same amount of resolution. But the sound is warmer and softer and more impactful in the bass. They are both technically equal but different philosophies. Maybe you can say that they are a picture of German vs. British sound preferences?

It sounds good. Is it more of an analog sound?

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 110
Apr 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 110
Double post.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #35 of 110
On the AHA-120 there is a setting for adjusting the current so that it fits the impedance of the headphone. I am not sure if the highest current setting - which is for the 32ohm impedance gives more current than the Quichstep. You can see then numbers in the specs on the two websites I think.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #36 of 110
On the AHA-120 there is a setting for adjusting the current so that it fits the impedance of the headphone. I am not sure if the highest current setting - which is for the 32ohm impedance gives more current than the Quichstep. You can see then numbers in the specs on the two websites I think.

In your experience though, which one drives your headphones with more authority?

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #37 of 110
At the moment the AHA-120 gets more listening time than the Quickstep. It just sounds a little bit more full and there is enough power to drive the headphones I have. But the T5p is easy to drive so that might not put them to a real test anyway. I am not sure if any of them will get the very best out of LCD-2. I think I would prefer the Quickstep with a 15V PSU for the best result. But this is only guessing from my side. I think you should try to ask someone who owns the LCD-2. They are not my cup of tea...

May 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #38 of 110
Quote:
At the moment the AHA-120 gets more listening time than the Quickstep. It just sounds a little bit more full and there is enough power to drive the headphones I have. But the T5p is easy to drive so that might not put them to a real test anyway. I am not sure if any of them will get the very best out of LCD-2. I think I would prefer the Quickstep with a 15V PSU for the best result. But this is only guessing from my side. I think you should try to ask someone who owns the LCD-2. They are not my cup of tea...

Now you've had it for a while how does it compare to the Quickstep? Are the dynamics and detail plus instrument seperation as good?

May 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #39 of 110
Quote:
Now you've had it for a while how does it compare to the Quickstep? Are the dynamics and detail plus instrument seperation as good?

I really can't decide which I like best 
confused.gif
 I like both very much since they do everything very well. The AHA-120 is a little bit more soft sounding with T5p but the Quickstep has a little bit more revealing sound. Both amps are very dynamic and separation is very good on both amps. I really can't say that one of them is much better than the other. The sound from the AHA-120 is also a bit darker. It does not go deeper but I think there is more emphasis on the low midrange which gives it a great and smooth sound. The Quickstep feels like it has better resolution - but it really has not - it is just that it sounds more analytical and a bit more edgy and I like that. I am going to keep both of them that's for sure. But I could easily live happily with either of them as my only portable amplifier - but it would probably be the Quickstep because it is smaller and easier to carry in the bag whereever I go 
normal_smile .gif

One good thing about the Quickstep is that it uses 9V battery which you can buy everywhere. That means that when I am traveling I do not need to bring a charger since 9V batteries can be bought everywhere. On the other hand the AHA-120 charges via USB form my laptop - so it is not a problem with battery. When fully charged the AHA-120 lasts longer than a new 9V battery for the Quickstep. I havn't measured exactly yet how long any of them last. 

May 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #40 of 110
I can now join in the fun too :)
Just received my AHA-120 today.
OMG! I've just gone from the iPhone 5 through a Fiio E9 into my Beyerdynamic DT1350's to the AHA-120 and a iModded Ipod 5gren and Qables Silvercab LOD
I'm just amazed by it!
WOW!
Ta
Richard

May 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 110
I have been enjoying my AHA-120 for about a month now and it "just" (sorry - pun intended) keeps getting better. Everything seems so much clearer and cleaner. It works best with my Colorfly C3 but the Cowons benefit too.

I can rediscover so much music now!

May 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #42 of 110
I have been enjoying my AHA-120 for about a month now and it "just" (sorry - pun intended) keeps getting better. Everything seems so much clearer and cleaner. It works best with my Colorfly C3 but the Cowons benefit too.

I can rediscover so much music now!

How would you describe its sound signature? Do you get hiss double amping on your C3?

May 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #43 of 110
I just got my AHA 120 and all I can say is WOW. This things sounds awesome - it's so resolving and layered yet not harsh at all. So smooth and musical. I'm so glad I took the plunge on this.

I'm surprised this thing has caused more of a stir around Head-Fi considering how damn good it sounds...

May 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #44 of 110
Quote:
I just got my AHA 120 and all I can say is WOW. This things sounds awesome - it's so resolving and layered yet not harsh at all. So smooth and musical. I'm so glad I took the plunge on this.

I'm surprised this thing has caused more of a stir around Head-Fi considering how damn good it sounds...

Ahh - so happy to hear that 
normal_smile .gif

I agree!!! I am happy to hear more and more people find the joy of this amplifier! I brought my AHA-120 to a meet some weeks ago and there was NO OTHER portable amp that could compete with it. Together with my Heir TZAR 350 it sounds so good. It is my very best setup I have at the moment that it beats my Concerto + T5p in some aspects. Even though the new Heir Rendition1 portable amp sounded very DRY and had such a punchy sound with my TZAR 350 the AHA-120 extended the soundstage of the TZAR 350 by a wide margin and still added the weight and punch to the very analytical TZAR's. 

Now I am thinking if the Just Audio 
µDAC-2496 portable DAC is this good? Can it maybe compete with the ODAC? I would love to give the Just Audio DAC a review.

May 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #45 of 110
Ahh - so happy to hear that 
normal_smile%20.gif

I agree!!! I am happy to hear more and more people find the joy of this amplifier! I brought my AHA-120 to a meet some weeks ago and there was NO OTHER portable amp that could compete with it. Together with my Heir TZAR 350 it sounds so good. It is my very best setup I have at the moment that it beats my Concerto + T5p in some aspects. Even though the new Heir Rendition1 portable amp sounded very DRY and had such a punchy sound with my TZAR 350 the AHA-120 extended the soundstage of the TZAR 350 by a wide margin and still added the weight and punch to the very analytical TZAR's. 

Now I am thinking if the Just Audio µDAC-2496 portable DAC is this good? Can it maybe compete with the ODAC? I would love to give the Just Audio DAC a review.

Yeah the AHA 120 is so good that I'm very curious about the uha 120D. I also wonder if it's compatible with android phones. It's a shame Justin isn't present on this forum to inform us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back