Just arrived, GS1000 (w/ updated Raptor)
Nov 15, 2006 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
Just got some GS1000s, here is a pic of them (got my friend at work to listen to them)...
IMG_0031_2.jpg

Anyways, I got my Raptor back last week w/upgrades and the new PS. It did raise the performance of the Raptor. With my HF1s I was using before the GS1000s, I thought it was a fun sound, but the top end was a little thin and a bit "dirty" sounding, overall it was just a bit fuzzy. With the PS and updates, it has changed to being more focused, dynamic, and way cleaner sounding while still giving me a good amount of fullness. It opened up the top end the most I would say, where it use to sound a bit more brittle before.
It gave the HF1s an almost electrostatic quality to the refinement in sound. I was impressed with the HF1s, and what they could acheive.

Well the GS1000s came yesterday. I have to say that it to me has a novelty sound so far. It is far more relaxed than Grados I have used before, but is also tammer in dynamics and does not have the upfront sound (compared to the HF1s). Sure it has more soundstage and good amount of bass (though this can be a positioning thing as well), but if I was going for this kind of sound I would rather listen to my O2 w/KGSS system.
The sound you get is also dependent on the positioning on the head and how far the drivers are from your head (in typical Grado fashion). Still have to play around with this but don't know if I can live with something that is so easily variable because of how much room there is to move around with the big pads.

Well this is early on so far, so I will probably have more later on.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 9
VERY nice wood grain on your GS, did you burn those suckers in any or just monitor them right of the box?

I had the RS raptor and used it with my BD GS..and thought the sound was very good, focused, and tighter bass than with most tube amps..looking forward to hearing more impressions later..

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
VERY nice wood grain on your GS, did you burn those suckers in any or just monitor them right of the box?

They have had a few hundred hours on them supposedly. But just in case, I am putting them through a break-in cycle to see if anything changes.

Later on I am hoping to get together with other head-fiers to go through some other amps as well.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Ok, you put the Grados on a really cute girl and we're supposed to look at the Grados?
icon10.gif

Lol, hey Audiofiler already noticed the wood grain on them.
tongue.gif

I can't help what you pay attention to...
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Ok, you put the Grados on a really cute girl and we're supposed to look at the Grados?
icon10.gif

I got wood looking at that picture. The girl is cute too
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 9
If you want a more in your face presentation, stick with the RS series. The GSs are technically better, but give you a more open sound while maintaining the Grado speed.

Either way, I gave them at least a month before I really "got" the sound - now my RS-1s can't hang with them.

You need a good system with them also because these things are more transparent.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Seems like most Grados these days are a bit darker in color than they were a year or two ago. That's just the stock of wood they've got at the moment. My RS1, like my GS1000 was, is much darker than my first RS1.

I like the darker colored Grados. The grain is more apparent and usually more "holographic."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back