Just Amazing
Jun 20, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #62 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdog46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If what I said is over your head-let me dumb it dumb it down so you'll have a chance of understanding what I was saying. This was my main point There is no perfect sound reproduction system. That's a really a hard concept to get your hands around.
.... cut off the rest...

no idea what he is trying to say here, forum troll, go away

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #63 of 87
573353758_da948f70e9.jpg

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #64 of 87
Enoyin, your translation is top notch, as well as the method you used.
I LOLed a lot. Really appreciated.

However, I am still not sure if I correctly understood what he was trying to say. It is like the Mopheous explaining the matrix and how it works... with half russian and half japaness with the help of google translator. Sounded like he found out that we are in the matrix called audiophile world, the DAC only can be viewed as combination of 0 and 1. So there's no point which is which since all we're seeing is controlled by the artificial reality which is far from the science or religion?

What... I don't know what I am saying now. But one thing amazing is ... the fact that this thread is still up and running.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #69 of 87
This is the first thread I´ve read on head-fi and it contains so much knowledge and enlightenment. This is what I would recomend all my friends new to hi-fi it really covers it all.

Thank you!

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #70 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxmiliam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first thread I´ve read on head-fi and it contains so much knowledge and enlightenment. This is what I would recomend all my friends new to hi-fi it really covers it all.

Thank you!

[size=x-large]AMAZING[/size]!
cool.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #71 of 87
To the OP,

The Chaintech sound card can put out a bit perfect signal to an External DAC. It's 25 bucks.

But just because it is bit perfect, doesn't mean it's the equal of, say, a SlimDevices Transporter. Being bit perfect is only part of the equation. It might seem funny that anything outside of a 0 and 1 signal is going to affect sound, but it does. Stuff like jitter is affected by components that are improved in a beefier source than that soundcard.

However, compare a Chaintech to a comparably priced non-bit perfect Sound Blaster card, and you'll see that it's better to be bit perfect than not.

--

Part two is that you wondered why we're spending all this cash on equipment that is so much crazier, pricier, and technologically advanced over the equipment used to actually record the original performance.

The answer to that is easy. Steve Hoffman had a lecture at the National Meet this year, and played many classic recordings that were really bare bones going from a mic to mixing board to master tape. I mean, really BASIC. But years and years later, so much junk has happened to that recording between that performance and my ears, that I'm not really getting the true sense of that performance - unless I take measures to cut through the crap of decades to get to it. Such as getting a guy like Hoffman to search in a freezer for the original master tapes. and being a wizard at remastering it. and ripping a sweet copy on vinyl (or in this case, redbook). And hearing it on Todd the Vinyl Junkie's sweet rig. In the sweet spot of the room. And AH wow that's as close as I'm going to get to being in the engineer's chair back in the early 60's grooving to Ray Charles!

But what I have to work with is going home, buying some Hoffman vinyl, popping into the Tower of Power, and listening with my cans. None of the stuff at my house is identical to the original playback gear, but it's the closest approximation that makes me happy in my budget.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #72 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of the stuff at my house is identical to the original playback gear, but it's the closest approximation that makes me happy in my budget.

And oh what a budget!
blink.gif
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #73 of 87
This is an amazing thread
biggrin.gif
as it kept me entertained for about on hour as i tried to understand him. I don't shot the guy down for trying to make the post but he should not at the very least insulted every one who tried to tell him that we simply don't understand his first post
eek.gif
. At least now through extensive translation we understand and I completely agree. Making good audio can only go so far in science before you must put a touch of art to make it sound truly amazing.

And as a side note i think some fellow head-fi member (i'm not mentioning any names) should exercise better behavior in threads. Come on guys/gals lets play nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #74 of 87
After spending an inordinate amount of time looking, and soul searching for a proper way of ...

Hell, All I have to say is that I like Tomato soup..

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #75 of 87
Mazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back