Just About To Pull The Trigger... Completing The Rig
Jul 21, 2007 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy everyone,

Ok, first, I know that this post may seem a little off topic for the headphone forum in general, but it is the only forum I think appropriate for such a general question.

Thanks to the great forum that Head-Fi is, I think I have finally come to realize the direction I want to take in "finishing" my headphone rig. My first purchase was the Sennheiser 595s. Since I love them, I've decided to build my setup around them.

Currently, this is my setup:
[FLAC and high bit-rate MP3s] > [Sound Blaster Audigy 4] > [Sennheiser HD-595]
After doing a lot of reading on DACs, cables, and amps I think I am about to go a little off the deep end and purchase the following:

[FLAC / MP3s] > [ESI Juli@ Sound Card] > [Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCAs] > [Little Dot MkIII] > [Sennheiser HD-595]

In total I am looking at spending around $420 for all of this stuff, something I think could be considered a "complete," albeit inexpensive setup.

Before I pull the trigger, what do you guys think? Is there a better, full (DAC, cables, amp) setup that I could get for the cash?

Thanks much,

Mr_Zero

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Bump. Hoping for a little input.

Thanks much,

Mr_Zero

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 11
i don't know much about sound cards, but BJC are generally well thought of and the new little dot has received favorable impressions so far. i have an LD2++ and think it is a very good amp, so if the MKIII sounds as good as that (or better), you will be very happy with it. as for headphones, i actually would prefer an HD580 over the 595, but that's just me.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd reach for one of Fitz's AKG's in the the FS forum before either of the Senn's, but that's personal preference. My tastes aside, you seem to have a good grasp on what you want out of a headphone, and you look to be building a pretty nice budget rig.

Good luck.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks guys. I'm actually going to go with the E-MU 0404 USB from Guitar Center. The rebate deal is pretty nice.

I'm also thinking about going with a Darkvoice 336i instead of the Little Dot MkIII... tough call.

I'm pretty sure, whichever direction I go in, I will end up with a pretty bad ass rig.

Thanks much,

Mr_Zero

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 11
I was about to barge in suggesting a Darkvoice of a Little Dot...I do not want to be too aggressive, I have not heard a Little Dot, but I have spoken to few people who used them that apparently found that Little Dot congests when music gets complex...and from personal experience I know that Darkvoices do not, they have excellent headroom.

Just my 2c. E-mu 0404 should serve you well.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, it was a tough call but I went with the 0404 based on some reviews that I read comparing it to the Juli@

Also, I like the fact that it is external. This is helpful because it escapes any possible noise coming from the computer, plus I could easily move it to another computer (laptop) if I need to.

I'm not too worried about using adapters. I actually contacted Blue Jeans Cable to see if they'll make me a 1/4" TS to RCA cable to skip the adapter altogether.

Push come to shove, if I think USB is holding me back (I don't think USB is too noisy), I can always get a soundcard with optical / coax output and feed it to my 0404 that way.

So far, after just setting it up, I am extremely happy with the 0404. I can only imagine what it will be like after the addition of a tube amp with some nice cables.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 11
I use a monster cable for quarter inch to dual RCA, serves just fine >.<

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Where can I find those Monster Cables? With a quick glance at their site I wasn't able to find them. I would think that their prices would be prison love (like the kind you get when you drop the soap) compared to Blue Jeans Cable / Signal Cable.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 11
I use a 1/8" to dual RCA made by blue jeans cables (I had to email them to ask them to make it, cause it's not on their site, but it was quite easy to do), and I am quite happy with it. In hindsight, I would have gone for two 1/4" to single RCA cables from blue jeans, but I bought the cable before the DAC, and just used what I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back