Just a thought
Apr 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

pmartel

100+ Head-Fier
How many of you head-fi'ers are serious audiophiles??

I find that with my knowledge of audio and had various vacuum tube and solid state gear, I'm now translating that into DAP-fi.

I'm obsessive about getting to that level where I'm close to what I'm achieving

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 20
Well count me in as an obsessive hifi nut. I think some of us are on here since we have so little time these days to enjoy our dream home systems and have to listen at work/travelling.

Hal55

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 20
I've done a TON of reading and researching on a lot of different types of equipment and I guess I can say I'm relatively caught up in the portable scene. However I only know a small bit about full sized cans
tongue.gif

I wouldn't say that I'm a true audiophile "yet" as I haven't trained myself in discerning minute details or fully educating myself on how every piece of audio equipment works, but I'm getting there.

It's amazing how much one can learn over such a short period of time if you like to do it. If only I loved the work I do in school as much as I love reading what's on these forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hal55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well count me in as an obsessive hifi nut. I think some of us are on here since we have so little time these days to enjoy our dream home systems and have to listen at work/travelling.

Hal55

You couldn't have said it better.

So RARELY, do I get a chance to sit down and really enjoy my vintage Marantz 2230 receiver and Energy 22 speakers.

I have a pair of Athena S3 speakers sitting in my closet I'm thinking on firing up again.

When I was younger, I had various vacuum tube amps and speaker combo's to die for.

Now with my work commute and bus trips to the U.S, I'm taking my knowledge of high end audio and putting it to portable use

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMG teh Jambands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am definitely not a serious audiophile. Nonetheless, I enjoy reading these forums for the wealth of knowledge available here, and to make googly eyes at equipment I can't afford.

+1

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 20
I would say I'm a Hi Fi geek turned audio/video geek.
Like many here, headphones came as an alternative because of open planned house and kids. I still use speakers and other stuff for AV but music listening is mainly done through headphones these days.
I must say it is a very enjoyable way to listen to music.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say I'm a Hi Fi geek turned audio/video geek.
Like many here, headphones came as an alternative because of open planned house and kids. I still use speakers and other stuff for AV but music listening is mainly done through headphones these days.
I must say it is a very enjoyable way to listen to music.

My current living accomodations being in a batchelor condo really don't dictate setting my equipment up a proper listening environment, but I still have my gear and WON'T get rid of it and make the most of the acoustic environment.

I the mean time I now consider myself a 'portafile'. I DO believe that the RIGHT DAP combo can give the same satisfaction.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmartel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current living accomodations being in a batchelor condo really don't dictate setting my equipment up a proper listening environment, but I still have my gear and WON'T get rid of it and make the most of the acoustic environment.

So it gets better when you get married? =0

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 20
I have to admit I started off a few years ago more enamored with the technology & gadgets than anything else. I've slowly grown (& continue to grow) into the understanding that equipment is merely a means to an end. Within a budget (& other constraints), I strive for the "best" sound (to my ears) that I can achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back