Just a simple survey!!!which headphone is the greatest ever
Dec 25, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 34
I am the greatest headphone ever. oh the sweet little magic things I'll whisper in your ears.

biggrin.gif
and thus concludes my daily dose of crazy

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Rose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a survey to investigate the "taste" of fellow head-fiers, so don't take it too serious arguing this and that
i would like to know which headphone do u think is the best(sound quality, appearence etc.), u do not necessarily own it and it can be out of production

cheers=)
Merry Christmas
L3000.gif
3000smile.gif

HE90/Qualia 10

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose Triports, maybe Apple iBuds.

haha damn...Raez beat me to the sarcastic comment...and it was gonna be my first post on head-fi...oh well.

...sony mdr-v150s are a serious contender for best ever though....

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 34
best ones i've ever heard are my HD 595s, but i haven't actually given anything nicer a shot. maybe the HD 650s are the next step up for me.

either way my denon d2000s are on their way, so hopefully those will give the senns a run for their money.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
mine

I think a more accurate description for most of head-fi would be "the phones that will be mine in a few months."

Also, merry christmas central standard time!

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 34
Those plastic Kosses hanging from a hook at Walmart, priced at $4 to fool everybody. They're so clear you can hear the universe scratch itself, and the bass extension is amazing, especially if you live near the train tracks.

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 34
There has been a commonly agreed upon list of contenders for a long time, and a few new additions recently. Most people who have experience with all of them will acknowledge that they're all great, but it depends on the entire rig, not just the headphone, to bring out the best sound, and then it's a personal taste thing. For example, I've heard the O2s MKI or II sound blech from some rigs, yet I think they're one of the best headphones available out of mine. I've had the R10s for a few years, and love them as much or more than any headphone I've heard, but realizing that I was never going to build the ultimate rig around them, I chose to sell them them.

Not listing the excellent sources for the time being, imo, these are the best headphones in these rigs:

'Stats:

Sennheiser HE-90 (Headamp Aristeaus or SinglePower ES1 as amp)
Stax Omega (I've only heard with the ES1) - stunning
Stax O2 MK1 (Headamp BHSE)

Second tier 'stats (imo):

Sennheiser HE-60 (I've only heard with an ES2)
Stax O2 MK2 (BHSE) - in production, but I prefer MK1 due to better balance, imo
Stax 404LE (BHSE) -- new model. I prefer the O2, but these are wonderful

SinglePower is now out of business, and Stax amps don't cut it. Headamp BH and KGSS and Woo GES amps are second-tier choice amps for Stax, if a BHSE isn't an option. I haven't yet heard any 'stats with the Woo WES, RSA A10.

Dynamic:

Sony R10 (SinglePower SDS SE, SinglePower SDS XLR, RSA B52) - My favorite dynamic headphones ever. For amps currently available, they sound really good from a Blue Circle.
Sony 010 (love out of my seriously tweaked SinglePower Extreme Platinum) - these are the only dynamic headphones I currently really want, but they're difficult to fit to hear right. If anyone has an excellent condition small size they're willing to part with, pm me.
Grado HP1 and HP2 (Frank Cooter's home brew GM70 amp or Luxman P1)
AKG K1000 (Foo-me's Zanden amp, or SP Extreme Platinum or Eddie Current Zana Deux as preamp to FirstWatt F1)

Second tier dymanics (again, imo only):

Grado PS1 (really amp dependent, love out of Eddie Current HD2)
AudioTechnica L3000 - not my fav, but should be worthy of listing. Perhaps I've not yet heard them in the best rigs
Sennheiser HD800 - best rigs still being learned. I've enjoyed them best so far with Luxman P1, and Woo 22. This is all single-ended. I quite liked them at CanJam when balanced out of HeadRoom's rigs, but had never heard them before, so don't have any real reference points for comparison.
AudioTechnica AD2000 - really rig dependent and very revealing of source. They entered best of the best only when I heard them Ironbut's Reel-to-Reel with master tapes source and a Eddie Current Zana Duex, but shows what they're capable of doing.
Sony CD3000--if you're not sensitive to treble, these are amazing (loved outta a couple Woo amps and my SP)

There are quite a few excellent dynamic amps available that I've never heard or haven't heard with these or other headphones, so my list is based only on my experience and preferences. Plus, these headphones all reveal source changes, and when you're not familiar with either source or amp (listening at a meet or to a friend's rig), it's difficult to place emphasis on any one component and break down the qualities.

IEMS:

JH13s-- these changed everything for me as far as what a portable can sound like. Absolutely amazing. Can they compete with the best of the best full-size rigs? No, but we're talking $8,000-$30,000 plus rigs. Can they wipe the floor with most mid-priced rigs? Yes. I consider them the absolute best-bang-for-the-buck audio purchase available outside of the Koss portapros and KSC-75s. Looks like some people have had problems with fit, so need a good audiologist and some luck as far as that goes. Once the fit's right, they're amazing, even without an amp. Portability is a huge plus.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 34
Lists are just lists and very subjective IMO, and will always be open to disagreement.

boomana, you include the AD2000 on your 2nd tier list, therefore in your opinion the AD2000> Edition 7, 8 and 9 and RS1, GS1000, MS Pro and Sony SA5000, top end Denons, several vintage ATH woodies - Not sure everyone would agree with you on that one.

I know you mention "when you heard them on Ironbut's Reel-to-Reel with master tapes source and an Eddie Current Zana Duex," but one would have to conclude that some of the others mentioned above might give the AD2000 a run for their money on such an equivalent dream rig. That is without even mentioning the CD3000 in comparison with said mentioned other headphones not on your list.

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lists are just lists and very subjective IMO, and will always be open to disagreement.

boomana, you include the AD2000 on your 2nd tier list, therefore in your opinion the AD2000> Edition 7, 8 and 9 and RS1, GS1000, MS Pro and Sony SA5000, top end Denons, several vintage ATH woodies - Not sure everyone would agree with you on that one.

I know you mention "when you heard them on Ironbut's Reel-to-Reel with master tapes source and an Eddie Current Zana Duex," but one would have to conclude that some of the others mentioned above might give the AD2000 a run for their money on such an equivalent dream rig. That is without even mentioning the CD3000 in comparison with said mentioned other headphones not on your list.

Funny post, considering that your first point was that lists are just lists, subjective in nature, and always open to disagreement.

So why then disagree? What I loved about Vicki's post is that, here she is, on Christmas Day, spending her time composing a thoughtful and complete response, based on her experiences, just to help direct new members in the early phases of their journey. She could have easily passed this thread over or have said, "Bleh! Not another 'what's the best pair of headphones ever' thread... use the search feature..." (or whatever your favorite non-response type of response would be).

Seems to me that her AD2000 recommendation was 1) based on personal experience, and 2) appropriately qualified in terms of describing the unusually good source it was coupled with when she had this revelation.

I've always loved the AD2000's on my two main dynamic amps (the Angstrom Research two box -- a very special one-off amp, and the Singlepower SDS-XLR, an equally special limited production amp) and have commented many times that IMO they're the best headphones I've ever heard in the $500-ish price range. To me, they do pretty much everything right, with nothing over or under emphasized, and keep my toes tapping at all times. Sure, there is a midrange coloration, but it's a coloration I happen to quite like (much in the same way as I like the R10's colored mids).

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HE90/Qualia 10

Which meet did you hear those at?

OP: My favorite headphones I've heard are the Omega, Omega2, and R10. There are many great headphones though.

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny post, considering that your first point was that lists are just lists, subjective in nature, and always open to disagreement.

So why then disagree? What I loved about Vicki's post is that, here she is, on Christmas Day, spending her time composing a thoughtful and complete response, based on her experiences, just to help direct new members in the early phases of their journey. She could have easily passed this thread over or have said, "Bleh! Not another 'what's the best pair of headphones ever' thread... use the search feature..." (or whatever your favorite non-response type of response would be).

What? All I have said is that lists of "best" are subjective and open to disagreement, and then give examples of what others might consider "better" than examples on boomanas list. It is called discussion and designed to let the OP know that one person's list (no matter how well informed they are) is still an opinion, my post was not an attack or even a criticism of boomana's post. I think your response is the funny post. Perhaps an unnecessary over reaction?

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilt Chamberlain or maybe the '72 Dolphins.

Are you kidding me? Wilt "The Stilt" > *

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilt Chamberlain or maybe the '72 Dolphins.

He floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee, the world's greatest was Muhammad Ali.

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which meet did you hear those at?

OP: My favorite headphones I've heard are the Omega, Omega2, and R10. There are many great headphones though.

Haven't.. Just my opinion from what the census is regarding the HE90, at least for stats.. & from a personal Standpoint the Q10 has everything I desire in a headphone, & does it better then any dynamic can.. Speed. Clarity. Detail. I'd give up all my headphones plus pony up some cash.. & this for a headphone I never heard before.. Call me crazy, but you only live once..
wink_face.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There has been a commonly agreed upon list of contenders for a long time, and a few new additions recently. Most people who have experience with all of them will acknowledge that they're all great, but it depends on the entire rig, not just the headphone, to bring out the best sound, and then it's a personal taste thing. For example, I've heard the O2s MKI or II sound blech from some rigs, yet I think they're one of the best headphones available out of mine. I've had the R10s for a few years, and love them as much or more than any headphone I've heard, but realizing that I was never going to build the ultimate rig around them, I chose to sell them them.

Not listing the excellent sources for the time being, imo, these are the best headphones in these rigs:

'Stats:

Sennheiser HE-90 (Headamp Aristeaus or SinglePower ES1 as amp)
Stax Omega (I've only heard with the ES1) - stunning
Stax O2 MK1 (Headamp BHSE)

Second tier 'stats (imo):

Sennheiser HE-60 (I've only heard with an ES2)
Stax O2 MK2 (BHSE) - in production, but I prefer MK1 due to better balance, imo
Stax 404LE (BHSE) -- new model. I prefer the O2, but these are wonderful

SinglePower is now out of business, and Stax amps don't cut it. Headamp BH and KGSS and Woo GES amps are second-tier choice amps for Stax, if a BHSE isn't an option. I haven't yet heard any 'stats with the Woo WES, RSA A10.

Dynamic:

Sony R10 (SinglePower SDS SE, SinglePower SDS XLR, RSA B52) - My favorite dynamic headphones ever. For amps currently available, they sound really good from a Blue Circle.
Sony 010 (love out of my seriously tweaked SinglePower Extreme Platinum) - these are the only dynamic headphones I currently really want, but they're difficult to fit to hear right. If anyone has an excellent condition small size they're willing to part with, pm me.
Grado HP1 and HP2 (Frank Cooter's home brew GM70 amp or Luxman P1)
AKG K1000 (Foo-me's Zanden amp, or SP Extreme Platinum or Eddie Current Zana Deux as preamp to FirstWatt F1)

Second tier dymanics (again, imo only):

Grado PS1 (really amp dependent, love out of Eddie Current HD2)
AudioTechnica L3000 - not my fav, but should be worthy of listing. Perhaps I've not yet heard them in the best rigs
Sennheiser HD800 - best rigs still being learned. I've enjoyed them best so far with Luxman P1, and Woo 22. This is all single-ended. I quite liked them at CanJam when balanced out of HeadRoom's rigs, but had never heard them before, so don't have any real reference points for comparison.
AudioTechnica AD2000 - really rig dependent and very revealing of source. They entered best of the best only when I heard them Ironbut's Reel-to-Reel with master tapes source and a Eddie Current Zana Duex, but shows what they're capable of doing.
Sony CD3000--if you're not sensitive to treble, these are amazing (loved outta a couple Woo amps and my SP)

There are quite a few excellent dynamic amps available that I've never heard or haven't heard with these or other headphones, so my list is based only on my experience and preferences. Plus, these headphones all reveal source changes, and when you're not familiar with either source or amp (listening at a meet or to a friend's rig), it's difficult to place emphasis on any one component and break down the qualities.

IEMS:

JH13s-- these changed everything for me as far as what a portable can sound like. Absolutely amazing. Can they compete with the best of the best full-size rigs? No, but we're talking $8,000-$30,000 plus rigs. Can they wipe the floor with most mid-priced rigs? Yes. I consider them the absolute best-bang-for-the-buck audio purchase available outside of the Koss portapros and KSC-75s. Looks like some people have had problems with fit, so need a good audiologist and some luck as far as that goes. Once the fit's right, they're amazing, even without an amp. Portability is a huge plus.

YES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back