Just a question....
Jan 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

atty101

100+ Head-Fier
I am the proud owner of EarSonic SM3 v1's, and my good lord are they lovely. My question is, can they be even lovelier?? I'm talking amps people! My source is an iPhone 4S. I guess I just wanna know if you fine folks believe the SM3's would benefit from a good amp. I've got my eye on the TTVJ Slim at the moment but I'm open to all suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I am the proud owner of EarSonic SM3 v1's, and my good lord are they lovely. My question is, can they be even lovelier?? I'm talking amps people! My source is an iPhone 4S. I guess I just wanna know if you fine folks believe the SM3's would benefit from a good amp. I've got my eye on the TTVJ Slim at the moment but I'm open to all suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Price range? Use as portable, desktop or both? What genre's you listen to? Tendancy towards neutrality or bass? How often are you going to use it?

Soe initial suggestions without any basis or range:
FiiO E11 $65
FiiO E10 $80
FiiO E17 $150

Nuforce Icon HD $350

pico slim portable -$400

iBasso D-Zero $109
iBasso T5 $200
iBasso DB2 $300
iBasso PB2$300

Electric avenus PA2V2-$65

Cmoy by JDLAbs $60

However, seeing as what i can tell. all u have is the 4S and that is it. So i would like to narrow the list and see if the E17 might fit you. If you have a high price range then we can get other help but im going to guess you just have an average 120 Euro range. The E17 not only amps but is also a DAC. this isn't rare but at this price range with the features the E17 has becoome very popular on head-fi. it is a great reviewed all in one device that improves audio while u are out with ur 4S and when u are home. you can plug into ur computer and enjoy even better audio from the Wolfson WM8740 found inside :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry about my vague question. I'm limited to $400 and I have no problem buying used. I love how my SM3's sound raw but I'd like to get the most out of them. I've read several different opinions. Some say the iPhone is a terrible source. Some say anything with a headphone jack can adequately drive the SM3's. I'm looking to just improve upon these already great monitors. Wider soundstage, better separation, maybe clean up the highs a little. 

So what do you guys think:

Amp or no amp for the SM3's??

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Sorry about my vague question. I'm limited to $400 and I have no problem buying used. I love how my SM3's sound raw but I'd like to get the most out of them. I've read several different opinions. Some say the iPhone is a terrible source. Some say anything with a headphone jack can adequately drive the SM3's. I'm looking to just improve upon these already great monitors. Wider soundstage, better separation, maybe clean up the highs a little. 

So what do you guys think:

Amp or no amp for the SM3's??

amp. my rule of thumb is anything audiophile over $80 or even below will improve with an amp. Anything $150 and over MSRB wise will be great with one. Anything $250MSRB and over needs one, be it easy to drive or not.

I can't help you too much since u are in the $400 range. :/ But the ones i have listed are extremely popular. take a look

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks so much for your help. I don't particularly want to spend $400 but I do want to get the most out of my SM3's

I tend to agree with your reasoning. If you're gonna spend a good chunk of money on IEMs you'll want to use a quality source. But I've read it more than a few times: SM3's do not respond well to amplification, nor do they need it....

I was hoping this thread would give a little more perspective. Any advice will be appreciated.

And thanks again bowei006!

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help. I don't particularly want to spend $400 but I do want to get the most out of my SM3's

I tend to agree with your reasoning. If you're gonna spend a good chunk of money on IEMs you'll want to use a quality source. But I've read it more than a few times: SM3's do not respond well to amplification, nor do they need it....

I was hoping this thread would give a little more perspective. Any advice will be appreciated.

And thanks again bowei006!

To test it out, i would say bring ur set to a guitar center and test it out? if you don't  have one....well.. since the e17 is $150 it is not only in ur range, but below. and i think ur in the Continental US. Amazon is good and u can return.

ur welcome. 
beyersmile.png

"WElcome to head-fi! Sorry about your wallet"

hope u like our little home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back