Juno - not overrated?
Jan 23, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 43
kudos to juno for garnering some oscar nominations - best original screenplay, best picture, and best actress...that's probably way more than this small flick ever imagined.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kudos to juno for garnering some oscar nominations - best original screenplay, best picture, and best actress...that's probably way more than this small flick ever imagined.

Don't forget that it's grossed over $87M so far. I'm pretty doubtful they were expecting anywhere near that with the original Limited release being seven theatres...

Also, I find it hilarious that The Moldy Peaches were on The View yesterday.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I find it hilarious that The Moldy Peaches were on The View yesterday.

That's exponentially more disappointing than Chan Marshal pimping her voice out for a De Beers commercial.

Luckily, I don't regard musicians as "heroes", so my consternation ends way before actual disappointment, somewhere right around What?

Still, I think I'll spin some old Peaches today.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 43
I saw the trailer when I saw the Darjeeling Limited, then a friend mentioned it was coming out in a couple of weeks some time in December, I said, "Ellen Page...I must see this!" So, I went into NYC when it came out and saw it.

I loved it. One of my favorite all-time movies. And I had read nothing about it, or heard anything about it.

The same thing happened with Amélie. It randomly came on TV (I was flipping), seemed interesting, so I watched it and loved it. I had never heard of it before.

I'm such an indie buff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #20 of 43
Saw it twice, liked it a little less the second time around, but it's still a cute date movie I didn't mind paying for two times.

THUNDERCATS ARE GO!!

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #21 of 43
It's a good film, very clever at parts, but I fail to see how it has generated so much hype.

I wouldn't call it overrated by any means, because it was entertaining, but it's definitely not worthy of an Oscar.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a good film, very clever at parts, but I fail to see how it has generated so much hype.

I wouldn't call it overrated by any means, because it was entertaining, but it's definitely not worthy of an Oscar.

I agree 100%

Nice film but by no means amazing.

Films like that must at least make you cry once or feel some sort of emotion, but Juno only had some humor and nothing more.

See My Sassy girl- 100 times better in every way than Juno.

Also the acoustic soundtrack was probably my favorite part of the movie.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #24 of 43
My Sassy Girl was one darn good film I must admit. This one girl who I showed it to in college couldn't stop crying and she it was the best movie she'd ever seen.

I dunno, there's nothing about Juno that's all that extraordinary except for maybe Ellen Page, but it just struck a resonance with me. I haven't smiled as much watching a movie since... sassy girl probably.

Btw, if you like Ellen Page watch Hard Candy. She's unbelievable.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #26 of 43
just saw "juno" over the weekend. it was solid. i would recommend it. i agree though that it is not an oscar caliber movie - not like "there be blood." that was like ... wow! (even with it's weird ending).

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think they'll be many people disagreeing that the movie was basically gilmore girls with someone pregnant
smily_headphones1.gif

how about "knocked up" but with a younger couple.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, if you like Ellen Page watch Hard Candy. She's unbelievable.

Ditto to that. Amazing independent movie with star acting from Ellen.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #30 of 43
i liked it a lot. the best thing about it is how they treat the issues more seriously than other similar high school/pregnancy movies that have come out recently. they do this while also transitioning to comedy pretty well. it's "indie", but not too indie, and that's good. i was really scared the movie would just get weird and that Juno would hook up with the woman's husband...but it goes in very pleasing directions instead. the dialogue is all well done, with perhaps the movie's biggest flaw being that it feels like a movie sometimes, because of the relentlessly witty dialogue that i felt was out of character for someone her age, and maybe a few other things. overall though, very endearing film...a lot of really emotional moments that didn't feel cliche to me.

8/10 in my estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back