Juggling 8 pairs of headphones. Need help choosing!
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

keyweez360

Head-Fier
Been window shopping for a while now, and I've come to semi-settle on going with one of the following 8 pairs of headphones. I've included their approximate price range I've found for reference/value.

Denon DN-HP700($99)
Shure SRH 840($153)
Audio Technica ATH-M50($158)
V-Moda Crossfade M-80($179)
Sennheiser HD25-1 II($188-$199)
Ultrasone HFI-780($199-$249)
Shure SRH 940($249)
Denon AH-D2000 ($249)

I realize that's a somewhat broad range in terms of pricing, but I've seen the cheaper pairs here held in high regard with some folks, so I guess it comes down to value or performance per dollar; I don't immediately expect the later headphones on my list to be the best (price = quality assumption) though it may be the case regardless. I hear a lot about the M50s, but in turn see people going back and forth as to whether they're worth the hype/price.

Genres: Electronic/house/trance/hip-hop/movie scores; Daft Punk is my favorite.
Usage: Mostly plugged into my PC (no dedicated sound card), Vita, CD player, or iPod (if I ever get one!)

I love powerful sounding music, but I am by no means a basshead. I find the Dr. Dre Beats headphones to sound awful, so I'd like to find something cleaner I guess? I currently own the Sennheiser PX100 headphones and love them but want something better. What is the next best step (for my budget) after the headphones I have now? I should note that I'm relatively inexperienced with audiophile headphone endeavors, and as such I'm still learning the lingo and technicalities. So smaller steps if you guys don't mind!

Also, would I benefit from an amp (FiiO E5/E6)? Recommend burn-in?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 46
Denon AH D2000 would suit your needs reeeeal well. They are great cans, and amazing for the price they are currently selling for.

You can find them for around $200 right now (check out the "Deals Thread" for prices and locations to buy discounted).

Being new to headphones and such, these will work fine unamped out of your computer/cd player/ipod, as they are easy to drive. Look into a small amp/DAC combo for a future purchase. Don't worry about burn in, just enjoy the music.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 46
have u considered Ultrasone PRO 550? I am  using them for listening to loads of trance. Quite good! This might sound stupid, but I love Sennheiser HD 212 Pro's as well. They have massive bass!

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 46
Denon AH D2000 would suit your needs reeeeal well. They are great cans, and amazing for the price they are currently selling for.

You can find them for around $200 right now (check out the "Deals Thread" for prices and locations to buy discounted).

Being new to headphones and such, these will work fine unamped out of your computer/cd player/ipod, as they are easy to drive. Look into a small amp/DAC combo for a future purchase. Don't worry about burn in, just enjoy the music.

Was there a particular thread I'm looking for? I'd love to get those for around $200. I don't really know my way around these boards. I'm seeing a deals thread but not sure where to go from there. Lend me a hand?

Thanks again

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 46
I have the HD25-1's very very nice bass and really good headphones for house. The Denon's are probably the best for your value though but if you want compact to bring around, the HD25's are really good. Don't let the simple design fool you, they're great headphones.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 46

Quote:
Was there a particular thread I'm looking for? I'd love to get those for around $200. I don't really know my way around these boards. I'm seeing a deals thread but not sure where to go from there. Lend me a hand?
Thanks again

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/2970 (read page 199)

they might be out of stock - you could check daily until they are back in, or call and speak to a representative to get a good deal.
i bought mine from J&R who price matched (call them as well).
there are other companies who sell them too; just make sure you find an authorized dealer (for warranty purposes) which can be found on the Denon site.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 46
Ok so just a couple concerns regarding the D2000s. These are coming from having spent the better part of my day focusing on their research.

- Seen a lot of people mentioning the pivot-screws and how they seem to loosen, or even fall out. Any input on this?
- Overall durability: Are these at great risk if I (carefully) put them in my backpack for a road trip? Would I need to invest in a case?
- Huge/thick cord, not portable: any tips for dealing with the cord at say a computer desk (don't want to roll over it) or on the go?
- Not entirely clear on the amp situation. Some say no, while a lot say yes for these headphones. Will I really be bottlenecking my audio experience without an amp? As mentioned, I hear good things about the Fiio E5/6 and their good portability, which seems like an all-around solution. How do these compare to eachother? Other amp recommendations?
- If I had to make compromise for something perhaps a little more portable or easier to work with, or if I have to cut the budget back at all, are any of the headphones I mentioned (open to suggestions too) as capable?

The screw issue is my main concern, so much so that it's discouraging me from purchasing the headphones. I don't want to be modding my headphones or having to superglue them in the future... Otherwise it's natural cold feet associated with spending a lot of money. Trying to be sure of this.

Thanks for the help.

[EDIT] That screw issue is really putting me off. Reading through Amazon reviews and the issue has been apparent since the headphones came out, to this day. Might have to reconsider...

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
have u considered Ultrasone PRO 550? I am  using them for listening to loads of trance. Quite good! This might sound stupid, but I love Sennheiser HD 212 Pro's as well. They have massive bass!

Another vote for Ultrasone.  I own and love both the PRO-550 and the HFI-580, both are 50mm driver models.  Listen to some electronica, and they're great.  You mentioned the HFI-780.  From what I've gathered from lurking on here before, they offer more detail, but have a less "fun" sound, less bass, etc.  I haven't heard them myself, but for me listening to mostly Rock/Electronica, I find the other Ultrasones to be very good.

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 46
Considering your preferred style of music I'd recommend the HD-25, followed by the M-80.
Both are really rugged (the M-80 comes with a case but can take a beating on its own) and the sound is geared towards electronic music. I prefer the more forward sound signature of the HD-25 (a longstanding choice of house/electronic DJs).
Comfortwise I like the HD-25 more, the M-80 makes my ears ache after some time (its not excessive pressure, I think its due to the static position of the earcups.
Both are easily driven, sound isolation is better with the HD-25.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 46

Quote:
Ok so just a couple concerns regarding the D2000s. These are coming from having spent the better part of my day focusing on their research.

- Seen a lot of people mentioning the pivot-screws and how they seem to loosen, or even fall out. Any input on this?
- Overall durability: Are these at great risk if I (carefully) put them in my backpack for a road trip? Would I need to invest in a case?
- Huge/thick cord, not portable: any tips for dealing with the cord at say a computer desk (don't want to roll over it) or on the go?
- Not entirely clear on the amp situation. Some say no, while a lot say yes for these headphones. Will I really be bottlenecking my audio experience without an amp? As mentioned, I hear good things about the Fiio E5/6 and their good portability, which seems like an all-around solution. How do these compare to eachother? Other amp recommendations?
- If I had to make compromise for something perhaps a little more portable or easier to work with, or if I have to cut the budget back at all, are any of the headphones I mentioned (open to suggestions too) as capable?

The screw issue is my main concern, so much so that it's discouraging me from purchasing the headphones. I don't want to be modding my headphones or having to superglue them in the future... Otherwise it's natural cold feet associated with spending a lot of money. Trying to be sure of this.

Thanks for the help.

[EDIT] That screw issue is really putting me off. Reading through Amazon reviews and the issue has been apparent since the headphones came out, to this day. Might have to reconsider...

i have the d2000 which was an upgrade from my px100s so i know where u are coming from.  first i would like to say that the px100s are my favorite headphones by far! nothing i have tried so far matches the comfort level of these headphones for hours and hours of listening.. also they sound amazing for such a little headphone.  if u are expecting big changes in sound quality upgrading from the px100s you might be a little disappointed.  going from my px100s to a full size can i noticed more bass impact but not necessarily deeper bass, a wider soundstage and thats about all really..worth the step down in comfort??  i am still deciding

anyway on to the d2000s
pivot screws- i havent ran across the problem yet.  i can say this headphones extremely well built and screams of quality... the fit and finish reminds me of a luxury car from Lexus or something like that..im sure you can find problems with most style headphones if you look hard enough!

durability-same as above..very high quality item..that being said i dont know how rugged they are and since they are a higher end item(atleast to me) i wouldnt really be putting them in a backpack or just throwing them around..i dunno i dont think they were designed for travel or on the go use, and i am surprised that they are so recommended here for that use.  i was somewhat disappointed when i got my pair b/c i wanted something for on the go and to me they dont fit that bill at all. 

huge cord-yep!!! huge, long, and very high quality!  once again not for on the go use!  but great for at home listening...  long cord for snaking behind the tv/stereo or computer that u are listening to.  cord is WAY too long for easy traveling..

amp- i will say so if u want ear damaging levels of sound (hey who doesn't!)..  output is quiet on my droid razr phone, and on my computer i can turn the sound all the way up w/o ear damaging levels of sound.. so if u want REALLY loud sound levels, to push these phones to the max i would say yes an amp is preferable..(i dont own a dedicated amp yet but will be my next purchase)

in all,dont buy the denons if you are looking for portability..for at home use they are some of the best bang for the buck phones u could buy!

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 46
No issues with the screws for me. I owned two pair. Build quality is very good and the sound is very good across the spectrum. Not a portable can though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back