Judging recording quality - What would you give these discs out of 10?
Aug 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
So after getting the T1s the varying recording quality of my discs has become increasingly apparent. Its good to know how my own standards stack up with everyone else. Here are some discs I listen to on a regular basis - what would you give their recording quality out of 10?

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party 7/10
In Ghost Colors - Cut Copy 7.5/10
Down the Way - Angus and Julia Stone 6.5/10
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chilli Peppers 5.5/10
Lungs - Florence and the Machine 7.5/10
Lightbulb Sun - Porcupine Tree 8/10
Grace - Jeff Buckley 9.5/10
Is This It - The Strokes 7/10
Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys 7/10
We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse 7/10
Awake - Dream Theater 9.5/10
Absolution - Muse 6/10
Damnation - Opeth
Damien Rice - O 9/10
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place - Explosions In The Sky 6/10
The Suburbs - Arcade Fire  4/10
Inception - Hans Zimmer 9.5/10
Tron - Daft Punk 7.5/10
Life For Rent - Dido 5/10

Any input would be helpful!

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Interesting site...according to them pretty much all my collection is mediocre to poor.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 8
change the sort sequence by clicking on DR album and take a look where Metallic's Death Death Magnetic ranks. Also look at Diana Krall, not your taste in music, but see how all of her recordings are very good. Verve, her label, does a nice job.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
take a look here http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?sort=artist&order=asc&page=27   at Dream Theaters Awake. Although it's one of their best it's still poor.

There is a lot more to recording quality than just dynamic range. "Rodrigo y Gabriela" and "Embryonic" both have 5 DR on average, but the former is going to sound a lot better (though still distorted).

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how you interpret the data on that site. What do the 3 numbers mean?

"DR" is "dynamic range". It's the average difference between the quietest and loudest sound in a song. "Album" is the average over the whole album, "Track min" and max are the lowest and highest DR on any of the tracks.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Life for Rent: pretty standard pop mastering, rather average, why such a low mark, to me it's a 6
Inception: pretty good for some tracks, less for others where it's a bit messy 7.5
Grace: I like it a lot, but it's no near perfection to me, maybe 8 or 9?

I mostly agree with the others or simply haven't listened to them.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
There is a lot more to recording quality than just dynamic range. "Rodrigo y Gabriela" and "Embryonic" both have 5 DR on average, but the former is going to sound a lot better (though still distorted).

I doubt it. If there's no dynamic range to a recording how can you hear anything distinct, a voice, an instrument...etc.,  everything is just a big blur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back