Judas Priest
May 13, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 55
If you want to hear some Priest in its full dynamic glory you have to hear it on vinyl. Most people would be astonished. It's quit eye (ear) opening.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 55
I just love Priest's production from the 70s. Sad Wings of Destiny is my favourite. Rocka Rolla comes cool second there. Painkiller is nice and trashy too.

May 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 55
I'm a Rock Band junkie and got an introduction to JP (after ignoring them for years) when Screaming for Vengeance was released as a full album for the game. Totally cheesed out metal music but perfect for rocking out to on fake instruments. I guess I need to find some vinyl...

May 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 55
My discs arrived in the post today, and I've just stumbled over "Take On The World", which I recognise as a song that I adored as a teenager and had forgotten ever existed. I'm looking forward to listening through this stuff: already I'm pleasantly surprised.

May 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 55
the only reason I still own the remasters is because of the bonus songs. the originals sound much better to these ears.
Heres what I own so far

Judas PriestRocka Rolla
Judas PriestSad Wings of Destiny
Judas PriestSin After Sin
Judas PriestStained ClassOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestKilling Machine
Judas PriestUnleashed in the EastOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestBritish Steel
Judas PriestScreaming for VengeanceOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestDefenders of the FaithOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestTurboOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestPriest...Live!Original and Remaster
Judas PriestRam It Down
Judas PriestPainkillerOriginal and Remaster
Judas PriestLive Meltdown
Judas PriestPriest Live & Rare
Judas PriestLive In London
Judas PriestMetalogy
Judas PriestAngel Of Retribution
Judas PriestRising in the East

you need to get rocka rolla - defenders and painkiller.
everything else isn't mandatory

the nostradamus clips I've heard were very good. I think that could be a mandatory album as well. I'm going to order the deluxe version as soon as I have the cash.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 55
Anybody got Nostradamus yet?

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 55
Whoa, thread resurrection.
Ja. It's not bad. A bit of a different style, but overall quite enjoyable, I thought.

They just toured here about 2 weeks ago... for a bunch of old guys, they sure put on a hell of a show!
biggrin.gif
. Halford can't quite hit the very highest notes anymore, but he's still got a hell of a range. And Scott Travis is still an absolute machine.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 55
Nostradamus sucks ass. The rest of Priest's catalog is patchy, but their best is among the best in all of metal. While I love them to death, as the years have gone by I find myself continually more attracted to their contemporaries more; Motorhead and Iron Maiden. Compared to those bands, Priest don't have the speed and aggression of Motorhead, nor the technical abilities of Maiden; they're kinda in the middle. What they did/do have is a sense of crafting memorable songs, but even that's been in decline as the years have gone on. And they've produced some truly horrid albums that reach abysmal depths that Maiden and Motorhead have never approached.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 55
Priest don't sit in the same category as Maiden and/or Motorhead. To compare them and say Priest suck because they're not as aggressive is puerile.
Not every album has to be Painkiller to be good.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Priest don't sit in the same category as Maiden and/or Motorhead. To compare them and say Priest suck because they're not as aggressive is puerile.
Not every album has to be Painkiller to be good.

Painkiller bites hard (fag rock at it's finest).

My opinion, mind you.

Then again ... I graduated 1986.

My favs?

Sad Wings of Destiny
Stained Class
Screaming for Vengeance

(before rob actually knew/realized he was gay)

LMAO!

In that order.

Eat me.

wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #27 of 55
My reaction to Nostradamus wasn't terribly excited. Some of the songs manage to be entertaining enough, but aren't memorable. Some of the others are just dull. The album too often just plods along without doing anything exciting. And the mixing is a bit off, with a flat sound that only further dulls the experience of the album. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, and if it is on, I'll listen, and enjoy at least a few parts. But it's hardly a noteworthy addition to the catalog of a band of such stature.

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Priest don't sit in the same category as Maiden and/or Motorhead.

I beg to differ - they're all New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Yeah, they have distinct sounds, but to say they're all so unique they deserve their own genre is ridonkulous.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #29 of 55
Priest *absolutely* are in the same category and class as Maiden. I love them both, but I am a Priest guy first.

I saw Priest live in the 80's - an amazing, seminal experience.

My favorite albums are Screaming for Vengeance, Stained Class, British Steel, and Sad Wings of Destiny. But I like ALL the pre-"Turbo" Priest records. Unleashed in the East is also great for a live metal album.

I'm sorry but anyone who says "Painkiller" is Priests best album can't have heard the earlier stuff. "Painkiller" is dreck. Priest had lost its way by that time.

If you want to hear GREAT Priest sound quality, get the new vinyl re-issue of British Steel. Side one of that record is incredible. "Rapid Fire" > "Metal Gods" - this is just awesome stuff.

PRIEST!!!!!!!

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #30 of 55
I know a lot of hardcore Priest fans that consider Painkiller their best. I don't necessarily agree, but I also find it really hard to compare Painkiller with their 70s and 80s material which is quite different. Painkiller pulled off the unique trick of sounding extremely modern from a band that was a classic and had had such an established and influential sound. Neither Maiden or Motorhead ever managed to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back