Joss Stone. Anyone hear of her?
Apr 30, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 31
Picked this up at BB on Tuesday, when I purchased the latest Diana Krall CD. BB has them both for 9.99 each, so based on this thread I picked up Joss' CD too. I am so glad I did! Well worth the sawbuck, and much more.

If I had to compare, I'd say she blows NJ out of the water.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 31
Glad you liked Joss. Let's hope now that she isn't pushed toward some other style that doesn't suit her.

How do you like the new Diana Krall, speaking of different styles? I haven't heard it, but the packaging and presentation of Diana is a lot different from the past few albums.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
If I had to compare, I'd say she blows NJ out of the water.

NOW NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LET'S NOT GET CRAZY!
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 31
You can't really compare NJ or Diana Krall with Joss Stone. Each of them has a style that's just too different from the others. (I personally prefer NJ
wink.gif
)

In my opinion, Joss Stone has an amazing voice for a 16y old (have we heard that before?) but she still doesn't "sound like Aretha Franklin" as some magazines stated.
Nevertheless, you can't deny the fact that she can sing and even Lenny Kravitz offered to produce something with her.

One thing that bugs me about her album is the accompaniment, no horns and rather lifeless. It might be simplistic but some of the songs just don't have the groove they could have.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 31
Another 'I'm not another Norah, honestly' is Rachael Yamagata, album out next month. Sultry voice, sort of exotic looks. Look out for it if you're a fan of this type of music.

May 3, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 31
There is an article about her in the April (i Think) English magazine MOJO. It has an interesting article on Norah Jones as well. As a bonus you get a CD for free.

May 3, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

It sounds to me like they've over-amplifier her voice

Hmmm...

She does sound like she is pretty much in my lap, but I've only listened to this with my Grado's, so I figured it was them *shrug* (I happen to like the simpleness of the production quality, though).

Btw, Circuit-City has this on sale for $7.99 - a steal, and if you don't like it, you can give it away.

May 5, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 31
I love the album.. very simple production, but this just allows her voice to SHINE overtop of it. And nevermind all the 'for a 16 year old' crap, she's simply got an excellent voice, period. I won't go comparing her to the wonders of old, since everyone (myself included) carry an obvious bias towards them over anything new, but she's got easily one of the best voices I've heard recently, particularly suited to the (for the most part) old standards she covered. Personal favorite track is 'Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin' On Me?)' if anyone's lookin for a download to try it out.

May 6, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #27 of 31
While the sheer complex sound of Diana Krall and her accompanyment in "Girl in the other room" is hard to put down, I am enjoying Joss Stone. Simple yes, nice singing no doubt. But a "stayer" in my now playing list... I'll tell you in a month.

Another artist that I prefer over Joss Stone is Julia Fordham in her album Concrete Love. Some similarities with a more mature voice and more complex presentation.

Funny, Norah got me into female vocals but now, she is near the end of my now playing pile. Maybe I just played her too much!

But Natalie Cole... now that is one lady I just cannot play too much of...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 7, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 31
I've got the joss stone CD. While the girl has a voice and while the songs are good, there's a pile of female vocalists that better her vocally and song wise.
Just ask, and I shall tell. Don't ask, then don't discover.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 31
Ok, then I ask....

btw I personally find the music/songs together with the sound a winning combination.
In other words:
- A nice song that sounds so so is a no go for me.
- A original sound with bad music (for my taste, that is) the same.
- A good song with sounds/musicianship to match, that's a winner. That are the CD's that keep comming up to the top o/t pile (and stay there).

Please enlighten me with some more great cd's, I'm always looking.
tongue.gif

Veto

May 8, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #30 of 31
Ok, since you asked, I shall tell. These are just a few that spring to mind, all of which are superior to joss stone, ( no insult meant to joss stone, I think even she'd agree).

Rachelle Ferelle - Individuality
Jill Scott - Who's jill scott and 'experience live'
Alison Crockett - On becoming a woman
Jennifer Perryman
Delilah Harris -Bigheaded girl
Ledisi - Soulsinger
N'Dambi - Tunin up and cosignin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back