Joshua Tree [2007 Remastered]
Dec 4, 2007 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
Didn't see any mention of this... just got my hands on the Deluxe Box with DVD, Outtakes and some other stuff I probably did not need, but I grew up on U2 and still love them. This is def. a classic and it sounds pretty good remastered. The differences are subtle, and stand out more on the acoustic based stuff, like "Running to Stand Still."

Anyone else pick it up? Thoughts..? I saw that some of their other remastered stuff was not too well liked around here.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 24
I was planning on picking it up when the word was that a hi-rez SACD version was going to be released. Since the SACD never materialized, now I am not so sure. As a casual fan, I am very interested to hear what the masses of hardcore U2 fans think of the remaster before I pull the trigger.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 24
A fine remaster. Significantly less muddled than the previous CD. Fairly dynamic. The consensus (if there can be such a thing among audio enthusiasts) is that this highly-produced record will never sound stellar. This release is surpristingly good, I think. I have not heard the second disk of extra material.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 24
Very pricey..........especially the deluxe version with DVD you have.

I will wait and get 2CD version later used, perhaps yourmusic.com CD club will offer it or maybe even I get it as Christmas gift.
The bonus CD seems to have some decent material worth having.

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 24
I bought the single-CD version for the SQ only. I'm w/Stephen_Ri, the differences are subtle, but they are there. I've always felt U2 did an absolutely crappy job w/the SQ of their CD's and it's something that's always made me mad. This remaster makes up for some of that. I mean, you won't really even hear a difference on "Streets" when the album begins, but don't feel cheated, because after it gets going the differences become obvious. It is a much more spatial listen. Plus, the bass goes very DEEP, especially on "Exit" & "Mothers" at the tail end of the CD.

Plus, it's arguably one of the best albums ever recorded, material-wise.

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is credited with the mastering?

Ya know- that is a good question. I am not sure. I always felt U2s albums were recorded well- I generally like most of the stuff Eno and Lanois put out either as producers or artists. I am surprised most do not agree.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 24
Cool! I wasn't even aware that there was going to be a remaster of this classic album. I'm gonna pick up a copy tonight. I'm glad I didn't splurge on the uber expensive OOP MFSL Gold version.

I actually think that the original release has pretty good sound quality. The recording level is relatively low, however. Bullet the Blue Sky is one of my reference tracks. I listen to the kick drum at the beginning to test for bass tightness and impact. My MS-Pros excel here.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 24
Sweet!

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 24
I was curious about it, only because it's not often mentioned that a U2 remaster has better sound quality than the original release.
tongue.gif

There's a thread on Home Theater Forum about it, and here's an excerpt:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Hoover
"This remaster is definitely fuller-sounding (read bassier) than the original release, and is almost on par with the MFSL disc. The bass on the MoFi version is just a tad tighter, though, than the remaster. Both are definitely an upgrade over the regular CD release, which sounds rather veiled and thin by comparison. The remaster seems to lose a bit of midrange presence compared to both the original and MFSL releases. It's very subtle, but it's definitely different. One very nice thing about the remaster is that it's not bumped way up in loudness. Arnie Acosta, the mastering engineer, seemed very conscious about dynamics and avoided a lot of the brickwalling he's done in the past (including the absolutely atrocious Atomic Bomb album). Overall, it's a nice upgrade over the existing CD release and if not for the slightly blooming bass, would be comparable to the MoFi version."

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for the quote! I have the MFSL disc and since it seems to hold up if not surpass it, I'll just go for the remastered album on vinyl since
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 24
Just came back from Best Buy........the 2CD version is in my Xmas gift bag, looks very cool and high quality from outside packaging. Can't comment on sound yet for obvious reasons

That deluxe version with DVD is in large box back with box sets section, does that come with huge oversize booklet?

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just came back from Best Buy........the 2CD version is in my Xmas gift bag, looks very cool and high quality from outside packaging. Can't comment on sound yet for obvious reasons

Xmas bump

Tonight I will unwrap 2CD Joshua Tree and also new 2CD Joy Division "unknown pleasures"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back