Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
Jul 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody else like this album? I came across his music by chance thanks to a friend, and today I finally got the album in the mail (surviving on a MP3 copy was killing me).

Listening to it in Apple Lossless and through my SR225 right now. Good stuff!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else like this album? I came across his music by chance thanks to a friend, and today I finally got the album in the mail (surviving on a MP3 copy was killing me).

Listening to it in Apple Lossless and through my SR225 right now. Good stuff!
biggrin.gif

Yea, good record. Josh is a big talent. The last one was very good too, though sound is pretty dirty. Not sure why he went for that. Animal Years was recorded by Brian Deck, and though it's mastered too loud, still sounds OK. If you don't know some of the bands that Deck has worked with, pick up the Ugly Casanova Sharpen Your Teeth for a nice overview. Ties together Modest Mouse and Califone and Holopaw, and also brings Black Heart Procession in the mix. Nice recording, good music. And Califone's Roomsound is great too. Fruitbats had a really good one produced by Deck as well.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
The animal years is a great album, I love "thin blue flame" as it builds and builds, Wolves is also great.

The historical conquests is a good album as well, but is a rockier sound and as Davey says is a dirtier sound than he usually goes for.

I still love the album "Hello Starling" though. It was the album that got me into Josh, actually it was when I went to a Ben & Jason gig and he was the support act.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, great album. I picked it up after seeing him as part of Aimee Mann's Christmas show a few years back. He sounds great live, btw.

Apparently I liked it so much that somehow I ended up with two copies *shrug*
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back