Jolida FX10 mods
Feb 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rellik

100+ Head-Fier
Here are mods done to a Jolida FX10. Forgot to take pics of the Power board but it has upgraded JJ caps and IXYS and Cree hexfred diodes for the B+ and microcontroller power. Baked some pennies and taped them to some wire. The pennies went on top of the B+ caps and the other end of the wire taped to the chassis ground.

The main board was upgraded with new bias caps (nichicon kz and solen mkp), wirewound resistors (mills) for the feedback path, new coupling caps (solen mkp), new caps for the volume knob motor (rel-cap film and foil and vishay-roderstein mkp), and a new cap for the microcontroller (ROHM film and foil bled with 4 series vishay-dale metal film).

The B+ clamp capacitors and bleeder resistors did not fit in the chassis and are mounted externally (solen mkp and kiwame carbon film and MIAL film and foil).

EDIT: sounds really good except for the constant sound of a garage opening. Or a dryer. I think there might be too many parts now...which ones are the question

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 11
Here is a photo of the setup:

The 5 disk is currently loaded up with "Tangerine Dream" cd's. Stratosphere, Force Majeure, Phaedra, Tyranny Of Beauty, and Oasis.

The headphone is a broken grado to keep the aux input from floating.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Yeah, the leads for the shunt caps do have their wires going through the grating underneath the chassis. Probably would be logically better to route them at the edge of the chassis bottom plate.

Heres a new photo, those things on top of the speakers are 50uf aluminum? VSF duelunds. They eventually will be part of a hifiman hm-801 jacket pack.

Medical tape for soft insulation.

The AKAI tuner RCA cables are Accuphase commemorative automobile 2008. Tuning AM stations does significantly change the sound while the disk/dac source input is selected.

Edit: For better or worse, the speaker woofers have changed color from steel grey to almost pure white. Don't really know why. I believe it has formed a "carbonate" on the surface. The color does change back after leaving it off. Also regardless of the perspective, the left side of the cabinet is not warped as shown in the photo. I need to eventually get a copy of "Tangerine Dream" - Rubycon not to be confused with the capacitor manufacturer.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Here is the latest photo running Boris- Akuma No Uta through hifiman-hm801 coax out. This album is not easy to playback and the setup seems to be trying. The input tubes do not seem to be bulging as in the photo. Visually they do have some additional curvature on the inside edge, who knows.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 11

Back to Tangerine Dream. Added a few geodes with promising results. Wow does it sound good, like really good. The long burn out was well worth it for ease of listenability in quieter sounds. The initial sound truely was something else in the high frequencies...but with a quite annoying "low end?"... The so called "middle phase" of the burn out can make things alittle muddy. It must be quite strong...kinda like a hefty dose of roy rogers...Also I kinda do like the sound better when the drivers gain back some color...I believe they are saturating.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Recent system additions. Hifiman EF-5 with HE-300 headphones. S-Video television set designed to pick up far away security cameras. Played a DVD called "Fulltime Killers" and it has quite good display when compared to a Sony Trinitron. In fact I prefer it. Maybe some mods will bring some vacuous blacks.

The Duelunds have been removed with nice results. They have been placed on top of a pair of Madrigal cd players hopefully to get the worm drive and laser servo to sync.

I was doing some reading and discovered that this 5 disk pioneer cd transport has a flourescent tube backlight very much like the Korg tube amp on a chip.

May 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 11
For future reference, this:
IMG_20170511_0046000.jpg
connects to this:
IMG_20170511_0046494.jpg

Its "They Live" prophacies should be thrushly ignored and replaced with the final credits of "Mallrats"

May 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Added a Duelund 0.56uF Copper VSF to the HifiMan EF5. The benefit is amazing bass dexterity. The midrange, upper midrange is alittle stuffy as in it hits fast and hard but seems to dissapear into the bass. The highs are now non existant but come in and leave like a freight train. The lower midrange detail on xylophones is amazing, the reverberations go on and onn maybe alittle too accentuated but whatever its something different. Guitar is also so detailed, its verry enjoyable. Im sure Black Sabbath would really sound amazing, Im listening to silent hill sounds box disks.

The Hundingdon wirewounds on the Jolida global feedback gain are really noticable now. So transparent, possibly the best mod imo.

I imagine it will settle in and the system will operate at a better level once the cap has burnt some charge and dried up. The copper is already significantly lighter color than when it arrived today. The difference is night and day now, much more relaxing system. Not to mention that I paid less than 90 dollars for it. A steal of an overstock deal.

I attribute it to the cap filtering the buzzsaw(loaded) and high pitched whine(unloaded) of integrated reguator circuits in the house and DAC (+DAC single chip zipper noise locking to those notes) and the oscillation of opamps esp those frequency hopping ones from the global feedback. Once burned in and properly filtered they can sound fantastic yielding a increase in capacitor energy output and breaking oxidization without having to include it on the track.

IMG_20170530_1457358.jpg
IMG_20170530_1457523.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back