Joining the Grado Family
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

philip1

Head-Fier
I just purchased a set of SR80s from another member here. I am looking forward to hearing these in comparison to my QP 240s. I will wager they will be better. I hope they are comfortable super aural because I'm used to circum aural phones.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 36
Hope you enjoy the Grado sound
biggrin.gif
I'm currently enjoying the HF2s and as my first pair of Grados I now know why many people like Grados.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by philip1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased a set of SR80s from another member here. I am looking forward to hearing these in comparison to my QP 240s. I will wager they will be better. I hope they are comfortable super aural because I'm used to circum aural phones.

If they press too hard on your ears just bend the headband outward until there's JUST enough tension to keep them from falling off. Once you've done that their light weight will make them pretty comfortable despite the pad material not being the softest. And (assuming they're equipped with bowls) make sure you wear them low and forward, because if the screen over the driver is sitting on your outer ear rather than the pad, you will get shrill highs and a collapsed soundstage.

P.S. I was going to ditch my SR80s after getting Beyer DT990s (which I do like a lot), but the Grado sound seems to be addictive- I found that whenever I dug them out of the closet I couldn't stop listening to them. So I've put them back into rotation with the Beyers. If you turn out to be one of those people who really like the in-your-face Grado presence- and I certainly do, when I'm in the right mood, even on large-scale symphonic classical music- you may find them addictive too! There's nothing else quite like them.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 36
Ditto! You've made a good choice phillip1! Next step: SR-225i or SR-325is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 36
My HF-2s are my first foray into Grado. AMAZING cans. Enjoy your Grados!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 36
Wow. That's a pretty decent start to your experience with Grado. I can't wait to hear my pair of HF-2's once they arrive in snowy Edmonton.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 36
Haha, just got my SR325i today and I am enjoying my music more than ever before. I've tried the K702s and HD 650 and by far the SR325i's are my favorite of all of them. I can't stop smiling with them on. =D Now I am thinking of upgrading to the RS2/RS1 (after just one day!) When will it end?!?!

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will it end?!?!

*Umm... How do I break this lightly?* [size=large]Never![/size]
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 36
I spend most of my days listening to my etymotic hf5 since I'm out and about so often. Then I come home to my MS-1 (it's all one can really find in Sydney, as far as I could look), then I find relief, like I didn't eat all day or something.

Even if I have to ship it from elsewhere, I think I'm going to get a Grado Grado some time.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 36
I hope to be able to audition the RS1 when I arrive in Singapore in December, but I'm not too fussed if my ears dont need to go beyond the 325is - for me, I think I settled on a good balance between sonic joy and bank balance distress. The only downer with the Grado community here is endless pad wars, but once you get past that I find them to be a pretty cool bunch of sycophants.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(in-joke : apologies to those left scratching their heads)

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, just got my SR325i today and I am enjoying my music more than ever before. I've tried the K702s and HD 650 and by far the SR325i's are my favorite of all of them. I can't stop smiling with them on. =D Now I am thinking of upgrading to the RS2/RS1 (after just one day!) When will it end?!?!

New toy joy aside, are you able to objectively compare the SQ on the 325is to the Shures ? The SE530 is within $2 of the price of the 325is in my neck of the woods, but the Grados are the only cans that I've been willing to outlay this much money on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back