Joined the Grado family via the SR60i's...have a few questions
Mar 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

creaturefeature

New Head-Fier
Hi all...new member here, although been lurking for some time.  I stumbled upon the Grado line by happenstance when searching for a replacement for my Koss PortaPros, which while pretty great for $30, ended up having issues with the jack.  I've seen repaired them with a new jack, but the whole experience taught me that I should invest in a decent pair of cans, rather than keep spending time/money on cheap ones.  I found the Grados and the reviews were so astounding I had no choice but to make the jump.  I was also really stoked that they were manufactured in the US, to boot.

Well, they arrived today and I gave them a few test runs.  The "lack" of bass (or should I say, the more correct amounts) is a bit hard to get used to after using the PortaPros for a while.  I also must have an exceptionally tiny head, because they feel like the cans sit just a bit lower than I'd prefer, but they are also the largest pads I've ever put on my head, too!  And the sound doesn't seem to suffer.  So my first question is, is it normal for these to sit a little lower?  The PortaPros were so tight, its hard to tell.

I've also been reading about the mods and while none of them feel like something I want to jump into yet, the quarter mod on the pads seems easy, approachable, and worth it, I think.    I'd love to kick the bass up just a bit.  I've heard this also bumps the mids/highs a lot, but I don't mind since I can take it (or adjust through the EQ).  Before I cut my pads up, can you guys tell me what I can expect?  Is it worth it?

And lastly, what kind of break in time should I give these cans before really coming to a conclusion?  I'm quite familiar with break in times with subs and speakers back when I did car audio, so I'm wondering from personal experience what you guys feel is a decent amount of hours to pump into these cans before they really open up.

Thanks in advance all!  Super excited to have joined the Grado family and begin to truly hear my music collection.  And I'm sure you'll see me around here more often, as well!  :)

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Hey, welcome and grats on the SR60s. I came to Grados (or Alessandros, rather) from PortaPros myself.

I'm a huge pro-modded 414 pads guy. I used them on my MS1is, these SR60is I just got my hands on, and my Magnums. If you're coming from the stock "comfies", they'll just be a sound upgrade all around, and totally worth doing. Compared to the "bowls", you'll lose a small amount of detail and soundstage and gain better mids, bass and and a metric crap-ton of comfort.

Burn-in time should be around 48 hours or so.

Far as the fit goes, the gimbals slide up and down, so you should be able to find a height that works for you.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I never experienced any improvement of the sound through burn in with my SR60i's.  Not that I noticed anyway.

The easiest way to modify the sound of the Grado is through different pads.  Like Mozu, I preferred the Sennheiser 414 pads to the S-Cush Comfies that came with the SR60i.  I used them in a reverse quarter mod configuration, but eventually went to some home made pads with a sock mod to tame the highs a bit and improve comfort.

One of the best ways to get more bass out of them is to get the L-Cush pads and do the tape mod.  This is completely reversible, so no damage to anything except your wallet if you want to try it.  Basically you just put the L-Cush pads on and wrap the outside of the pads with tape that doesn't leave sticky residue...I've seen people use gaffers tape and regular transparent tape.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I never experienced any improvement of the sound through burn in with my SR60i's.  Not that I noticed anyway.

The easiest way to modify the sound of the Grado is through different pads.  Like Mozu, I preferred the Sennheiser 414 pads to the S-Cush Comfies that came with the SR60i.  I used them in a reverse quarter mod configuration, but eventually went to some home made pads with a sock mod to tame the highs a bit and improve comfort.

One of the best ways to get more bass out of them is to get the L-Cush pads and do the tape mod.  This is completely reversible, so no damage to anything except your wallet if you want to try it.  Basically you just put the L-Cush pads on and wrap the outside of the pads with tape that doesn't leave sticky residue...I've seen people use gaffers tape and regular transparent tape.

I think since I just bought these, I'll probably hold off on getting new pads just yet.  The L-Cush seem to be really nice, though, when I do finally upgrade.

Do you guys think the quarter mod is a happy medium until then?  

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Far as the fit goes, the gimbals slide up and down, so you should be able to find a height that works for you.

Yeah, I've slid them all the way down (since I want the band hugging my head) but they still feel a tiny bit low.  I also noticed though that the cans angle, as well, so I notice I can "point" them back up.  

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I think since I just bought these, I'll probably hold off on getting new pads just yet.  The L-Cush seem to be really nice, though, when I do finally upgrade.

Do you guys think the quarter mod is a happy medium until then?  

The L-Cush are the "bowls" I mentioned earlier. Personally, I don't like 'em at all. Every now and I then I swap back to them, just to make sure I'm not crazy, and, nope, the slight increase in detail and soundstage don't outweigh the better mids, bass and comfort from the 414s.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 7
The tape mod with L-cushions IMO muffles the mids.

Best way to get more bass besides changing the enclosure is the vent mod:
1. Get a hairdryer
2. Separate the headband from the cups (the C-shaped swivel can be removed by gently pulling on it)
3. Turn on the hairdryer and point it at the swivel openings for a few minutes
4. Pull open and separate the cups from the drivers
5. Feel the felt behind the drivers with your finger. Notice how the felt is covering some circular holes
6. Take a ballpoint pen and poke a hole in the circle, then move the pen in a circular motion to enlarge the hole.
7. Note the now-dried glue on the cups. Use the hairdryer on them to warm and make them sticky again.
8. Reattach the cups, reattach the headband. Note that the drivers are supposed to be angled in that the top is pushed all the way in but not the bottom. Get the angle correct by using the swivel holes and cord hole as a guide.

The vent mod will increase bass impact significantly, bass extension not as much. Poke the felt one hole at a time because if you poke too much, the bass will bleed into the mids. Some people prefer 2 while others poke all 10. If you need to reverse this mod, use super glue and a used fabric softener sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back