Johnny Cash Thread... Good Things Only
May 25, 2007 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, I have fallen in love with the one and only Johnny "JR" Cash. He was a legend in his time, and continues that legacy throughout history. With songs like "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line," and "Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash has distinguished himself with his deep voice. He will be missed forever and always. I know this is a bit old, but I thought I'd share my feelings of such a wonderful idol in the music industry.

*Please keep all negative and derogatory marks aside.

May 25, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 12
Johnny Cash is one of my favorite artists. Sadly enough, I didn't really start liking his music until he passed away. :/

Does anyone have a longer music career than Cash did? He career spanned over 50 years. 50 years! What a legend.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 12
How can you speak negatively of the true king?
icon10.gif
I think history will show that Cash is more of a king then Elvis or Micheal Jackson, as he could strike a cord with country, blues, and pop genres. Elvis is over-rated IMO....Micheal Jackson was good in the 80s, but proved he didn't have any staying power. I really like Cash's narration in "A Boy Named Sue"
icon10.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif
I think history will show that Cash is more of a king then Elvis or Micheal Jackson, as he could strike a cord with country, blues, and pop genres. Elvis is over-rated IMO....Micheal Jackson was good in the 80s, but proved he didn't have any staying power. I really like Cash's narration in "A Boy Named Sue"
icon10.gif

I think Cash and Ray Charles are two of the real legends of music.

May 25, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 12
My dad was a country / western fan, so I naturally rebelled. I heard Cash more than I wanted during the 60's. I've come to appreciate his music in the last few years. A guy a work had some CD's that I borrowed and found out what I was missing. A year later, Hollywood does a movie. Nice timing!

May 25, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Elvis is the King, sorry.
biggrin.gif

To quote JC:
" And you know, Elvis was so good. Every show I did with him, I never missed the chance to stand in the wings and watch. We all did. He was that charismatic. "

I digress...JC was an incredible artist that began his career at Sun Studios, just like Elvis. They both started off poor and loved Gospel music. In a way, I believe they both carried that passion into their secular music paths.

I think JC has picked up a lot of fans since the movie that came out a few years ago and that is great. As was mentioned, his career was incredibly long and he was great up until his last days.

May 25, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elvis is the King, sorry.
biggrin.gif

To quote JC:
" And you know, Elvis was so good. Every show I did with him, I never missed the chance to stand in the wings and watch. We all did. He was that charismatic. "

Well since I wasn't even born when he was alive, I don't know what Elvis's character was like....I do know that his music doesn't seem as soulfull as Cash's
icon10.gif
I'm sure if we list influential artists, it would get to be a long list. I think the Beetles might be the tops in that regard. Other artists of the 50s that I like are Patsy Kline, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens. I can't say I've ever gotten into Elvis
redface.gif

May 25, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently, I have fallen in love with the one and only Johnny "JR" Cash. He was a legend in his time, and continues that legacy throughout history. With songs like "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line," and "Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash has distinguished himself with his deep voice. He will be missed forever and always. I know this is a bit old, but I thought I'd share my feelings of such a wonderful idol in the music industry.

*Please keep all negative and derogatory marks aside.

Have you listened to any of his later recordings? The American I-V discs are especially strong... he wasn't just rehashing his old stuff, he continued to put out vital material right up until he died. Amazing. Very few musicians do that. He's transgenerational, as well. Young and old love him. And I think he'll be one of the very few still being listened to 100 years from now.

May 25, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 12
I haven't listened to a lot of JC, but from what I've heard, he's not really my thing. Or Elvis, for that matter. Something about country, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back