Johnny Cash sings NIN "Hurt"
Oct 14, 2003 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i had the good luck to see the cash video of johnny playing solo guitar singing "hurt". his voice is well past it's prime, but the emotion (what is important) is as mature and real as it gets for a singer.

now i'm very familiar with reznor's version, but cash brought a vulnerability to his version that reznor's lacks. when the man in black sang "the needle tears a hole / the old familiar sting" in his failing voice--as good as trent is--he cannot touch cash's version.

i was never much of a cash fan until i heard him do better than trent on his own song.

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 29
I agree completely. Cash puts so much emotion into that song.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 29
Agreed, when rezner sings "Everyone I know goes away in the end", it sounds like a whiny grown up goth kid feeling sorry for himself. When Cash sings it, you know that most of his family and friends are all dead. Packs quite a bit more whallop.

Oct 14, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 29
"Hurt" is so striking because of its radical departure from its original version, a morose recording by NIN, a band far removed, at least musically, from anything Cash has recorded during his 50 or so years making records. Sure, we all know Cash is known as the Man in Black, but still... a NIN song? Cash, who probably dealt with more demons before Reznor was even born than the Nine Inch Nails leader will ever know — appropriates "Hurt." He owns it. Lines such as "You could have it all~My empire of dirt~I will lay you down~I will make you hurt" are imbued with such finality as they're overtaken by guitar playing that grows fiercer with each line.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 29
There was an interview with Cash as the album was being recorded. I wish I could remember where. Anyway when Rubin played the NIN version for Cash he was not impressed. But Rubin insisted and had him read the lyrics and that's when it hit. F'****n brilliant was the term he used.

Also the idea for the video was mostly Cash's. I dont normally give two hoots about music videos but that one is a work of art. Especially the shots of him at the piano with June Carter looking on.

Terrific musical moment

G

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 29
a good version, no doubt. i have trouble saying it's better than the original though.

i have trouble separating hurt from the rest of the downward spiral. in my mind, it will always be the finish of an incredible album. the song always did it for me in many ways, but the more i listen to it over the years, the more i think about it and see it differently.

now it seems like this grandose apology. that's all i can think about when i hear it. sometimes we hurt the ones we love and can't do anything but feel sorry.

cash's emotion definitely shines through on his version, and he did a wonderful thing in making it his own yet keeping the passion there. good song, both versions.

Oct 14, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 29
Cash's version is better, except for the chorus, where he says "You could have it all...I will make you hurt." Reznor does that part with much more emotion.

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
Cash's version is better, except for the chorus, where he says "You could have it all...I will make you hurt." Reznor does that part with much more emotion.

i agree, but when cash sings "the needle tears a hole / the old familiar sting", some of reznor's less than perfect lyrics (but good delivery) seem very small in comparison.

i'm glad cash "got" this song. the video was an emotional experience, especially the images he used singing "everyone i know / goes away in the end".

i know this is going to happen to me [everyone i know / goes away in the end] (it already has started), and all of you some day.

but as the f'lips say, don't waste your time saying goodbye, cause it's hard to make the good times last. instead of saying goodbye, let them know you love them.

you realize the sun don't go down
it's just an illusion caused by the world
spinning 'round

cool.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 29
BTW, you avatar is a SCREAM, Redshifter! You did a fantastic job. Even the colour balance looks like Jack's skintones in the original! LOL!

Oct 15, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 29
thanks chadbang!
i read "the shining" when i was in the 7th grade, and it had pictures from the movie in the middle, including jack's face in the door. i even practiced that grimace/eyebrow thing nicholson does. the funniest part is it looks like i'm breaking in to give someone a big hug!
cool.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 29
Well this is a bit of a stretch but since the Shining was brought up, one of the main things that makes that movie good and creepy is the audio. Kubrick was the master of sound in his movies.

Just a few things to make my point. The echoes when he is walking down the long empty hallways of the hotel; the almost ethereal music of the ghosts in the ballroom.

The mute quiet of the pursuit in the maze in the end when only the breathing of the two is audible because of all the snow.

Well I guess I am WAY off topic, but I love that movie

G

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by sno1man
Well this is a bit of a stretch but since the Shining was brought up, one of the main things that makes that movie good and creepy is the audio. Kubrick was the master of sound in his movies.

Just a few things to make my point. The echoes when he is walking down the long empty hallways of the hotel; the almost ethereal music of the ghosts in the ballroom.

The mute quiet of the pursuit in the maze in the end when only the breathing of the two is audible because of all the snow.

Well I guess I am WAY off topic, but I love that movie

G

sno1man,
the shining" is my favorite horror film. the soundtrack is as important as another character in the film, and adds a great deal to the eerie atmosphere. some scenes are almost "mickey moused", which is a term animators use meaning a musical score that follows every move of the actors. the score in "the shining" often mirrors the feelings and actions in the film--just watch the scene where wendy has the bat. the new dolby 5.1 dvd is an absolute "must have" for this reason.

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 29
is it just my setup, or is his voice in the last 30 seconds or so of this track terribly distorted?(3:10 on)

Sounds really bad on my Speaker setup, a little more forgiving via Melos->HD580...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back