John Peel BBC radio 1 DJ dies at 65
Oct 26, 2004 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

setmenu

Strongly opposes a DBT-free chair forum.
Details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/alt...ohn_peel.shtml

I am lost for words
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Setmenu

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 26
It's the end of an era
frown.gif

I first heard peel in 1979 and have been listening to his shows on and off ever since.

He's impossible to replace.

Oct 26, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 26
oh man. his "peel sessions" are classic late 70s-early 80s work and i snapped up all the peel session cassettes that ever made it to these shores back then. he will be missed!

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 26
If you ever want to see Machu Picchu, just remember that you have to go to Cuzco, at 3,416 m (11,207 ft). Be sure your heart and lungs are up to the challenge. Also, if you complain of sorroche (altitude sickness), they routinely serve you tea made from coca leaves (cocaine is a derivative), also not so great for the heart. It kills me that Peel had to be a tourist and that no one warned him of the very real danger.

Oct 26, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 26
That's a big shock :frowning2: a very very big shock :frowning2: John Peel made most of the UK bands "succesful" he is / was a diamond geezer and I am seriously shedding a tear here......... a TRUE pioneer (the king of radio) god life is a person........ RIP John Peel
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 26
John Peel gone? Oh that sucks so bad...I first heard The Stranglers doing 'Peaches' on his show and that right there pretty much changed my life...He opened a whole new world for this ex-prog rocker...never looked back...I listened to him all over the world on British Forces radio...The Falkland Islands,Belize,Germany anywhere I got posted...He played a few of my requests too....He was allways spot on with his music.Damn this blows...
So anyway Peelie,take care where ever you ended up..I,for one, will miss you tons.
-Nac...

Oct 27, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 26
Deeply and genuinely missed.

My favorite recollections

John Peel was one of the DJs at Reading Rock in 1976 where I saw the utterly apalling "The sadistas sisters" - they were bottled off the stage and John Peel remarked

" stop throwing bottles - I know they are **** but there is a lot of expensive equipment up there"

And also he once said on Radio
"You cant spend your whole life listening to fleetwood Mac"

Who else could have brought to the world "Bingo masters break out"

requiescat in pace

Oct 27, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 26
a very sad day indeed...
frown.gif
John Peel was one of those DJ's who would never be afraid to put new and exciting music on air. many of his sessions are legendary. indie music will never be the same.

i think i'll listen to Joy Division's Peel Sessions tonight, he was a great advocate of Joy Division.

RIP John Peel

Oct 27, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Who else could have brought to the world "Bingo masters break out"

Fall sessions on the Peel show cool, who can forget. I was travelling in Asia in the mid 80's and while on one of the islands of Thailand I heard a Peel Fall season on World Service. Mark E Smith blaring out of the radio in paradise really serial, hard to equate the two - but always one of my travel storeys.

Still shedding tears

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 26
a real shock.

which i was actually quite upset by hearing this news.

underground/upcoming bands have lost a great ally.

he was quite simply the greatest dj that this country has ever had for willingness to try new things, and the varied nature of the stuff he played.

a truly great loss to music

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweebgal
he was quite simply the greatest dj that this country has ever had for willingness to try new things, and the varied nature of the stuff he played.

a truly great loss to music

And then some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back