John Peel BBC radio 1 DJ dies at 65
Oct 27, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 26
Got home from work late last night and heard the sad news of John's passing. I listened on and off to his shows, he was always cheerfull and played some of the best tunes ever.
Part of an ongoing tribute last night was a session by Mr J Hendrix. Awesome.

They were both ledgends.

ian

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 26
Travelling in the car just a couple of days back playing the White Stripes Peel
sessions bootleg and boring my kids silly with stories of how good a DJ(not the right term for him) he was.A real shock to hear of his passing. Network TV here devoted quite a bit of time to him in the main news program.

I lived in London in the mid 70s and always listened to his shows, exciting stuff in 76/77 with the breakout of punk and new wave.
That period is the only time I've made a serious effort to listen to the radio , along with Johns program I have fond memories of Charlie Gilletts Sunday shows and the lunacy of Kenny Everett.

I think my little tribute tonight will be the Son House John Peel show from 1970..Nice one John.

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #20 of 26
the most influential and important radio dj in musical history is gone...

frown.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 26
I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of him, or don't remember hearing of him, until this thread. If his show was ever syndicated to a Toronto FM station, there's a good possibility I have heard it and didn't realize since I almost always change stations as soon as a song ends and someone starts talking.

When this thread started, I assumed the reason I didn't recognize him was because he was a U.K. radio celebrity and I lived in Canada.

However, today's National Post newspaper ran a 1/3 page obituary/article about his life and career. I now realize I missed a great one.

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 26
Respect to the man who have changed music to the better. Rest in peace Mr. Peel.

mbrint,
He was the first to broadcast Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, Pink Floyd to name a few on national radio, and he have influenced rock music like no one else.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Bump for this great exponent of music.

Absolutely, in my view this thread should be a sticky.

Setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back