John Mayer is a true Blues Man (Hear me out) Try em on your Headphones!
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Whether he is or isn't a "true blues man" doesn't seem to be the original point of the thread.

Huh? You say it IS the point in the first sentence of your post...

Quote:

Didn't the OP merely say he thought John Mayer is a "true blues man?"

It doesn't matter; this guy is making a pretty huge claim, one that most would disagree with (including John himself, if my time spent with him has anything to say about it!)

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? You say it IS the point in the first sentence of your post...

It doesn't matter; this guy is making a pretty huge claim, one that most would disagree with (including John himself, if my time spent with him has anything to say about it!)

Sounds like a jealous classmate that probably past him in the halls and was pee'd off he got all the girls!

I agree with one statement I think he is trying to pass that Genre on to a younger generation.

But how can he do that if he is "not good at it!"
rolleyes.gif
You just dont make any sense!

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

The guy likes John Mayer, deal with it. He thinks he is a "true blues man", again deal with it. I think more would agree that they don't care that you know him and have spoken to him. If I say Jerry Garcia is a great guitar player because I enjoy his guitar playing, it doesn't make him a great player. It does mean that I enjoy listening to his guitar playing. The fact that someone knows him and Jerry told him he isn't a great player, doesn't change the fact that I enjoy his playing. I guess what I am trying to say is why make such a big deal about it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess what I am trying to say is why make such a big deal about it.

I don't know. Try asking the OP that.

There's quite a significant difference between a great guitar player and a 'blues' guitar player. Mayer is, in my opinion, an abnormally talented guitarist for his genre and context. Moreover, he's a nice and good person, with a very unique take on the music industry. But Mayer is no blues man. He's still good, but he's no blues man. Enjoy him all you want - that's what matters - but I think most would agree that classifying John as a "blues" musician is improper. It's giving an improper (and undeserved) label to John, and also describing a style of music he simply doesn't play.

The OP is acting as if you can only be a good guitar player if you've got the blues.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #50 of 85
Quote:

But Mayer is no blues man. He's still good, but he's no blues man.

Right, he isn't a blues man ok, I believe you...
wink.gif

blues-men.jpg

biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #52 of 85
John Mayer makes some good music that I enjoy. That said, when I'm listening to continuum I don't fool myself into thinking that I'm listening to a true blues musician. I'm listening to a “bluesy” pop record. Maybe its some of the best that pop can be, and maybe as his career progresses he will accrue more credibility, song writing prowess and musicianship, but to declare him a “true blues man” after his third studio album is jumping the gun a bit, and perhaps off base entirely. This is along the same lines as the current cover of Rolling Stone declaring him a guitar god and calling him Slowhand Jr.
rolleyes.gif

Isn’t it enough to say that he is a good pop musician with some actual depth and quality? Isn’t it enough that he brings some of that quality to popular radio? Do we have to elevate every pop superstar to god-like status simply because they stumbled on their golden ticket?

Again, that said, I really enjoy continuum, especially on the k701s.

Feb 16, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

There's quite a significant difference between a great guitar player and a 'blues' guitar player. Mayer is, in my opinion, an abnormally talented guitarist for his genre and context. Moreover, he's a nice and good person, with a very unique take on the music industry. But Mayer is no blues man. He's still good, but he's no blues man. Enjoy him all you want - that's what matters - but I think most would agree that classifying John as a "blues" musician is improper. It's giving an improper (and undeserved) label to John, and also describing a style of music he simply doesn't play.

The OP is acting as if you can only be a good guitar player if you've got the blues.

Personally I just think it's pick on Trose week!

But to answer you question I dont think you have to have the blues to be a good guitar player. Hell that Blonde Chick that played with MJ back in the day shreds. I love Eric Johnson as well. (tell me he cant play and thems fightin words)

Anyway my whole point of the thread was really that people DONT classify him in as having the blues for the most part and they should take a second look.

Like John says "You knew the number but I always knew the score-Who do you think I was"

You don't think he was making a point? Maybe its just me!

But this song to me is about having this blues in ya that you cant get out because the record companies dont back it and most people dont know about it so now he is now able to do it if he wants because it is in him and his popularity makes it so knowone is gonna stop him. He is too big right now to be told "NO John YOU CANT DO THAT IT WONT SELL!"

In the beginning he has to listen to what he is told to do (contractually) but there comes a point if your lucky and successful where you pull some of your own strings.

Am I misinterpreting the whole thing?

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #57 of 85
Well, I took a look at the clip. I think he plays a mean shredding guitar, but I did not get the impression that he was a bluesman. I good guitarist? Maybe, but I don't play, so most guitarist sound competent.

A good guitarist does not necessarily mean he is a good blues guitarist.
A good blues playing guitarist does not necessarily mean he is a bluesman.

Having said that, I think it is nice that he is referencing people back to the blues. People at this forum tend to have diverse and deep music libraries, but alot of the people out there who listen to Mayer may or may not know much about blues music. As long as real blues musicians get more exposure, that's fine by me. It may be a calculated business move, but then, I think 90% of the time, when a pop / rock guitarist starts citing the blues as influence, it is a business decision. Anyone remember Gary Moore back in the early 90s converting to the blues? He too had Albert King and Albert Collins backing him up, saying he was a damn fine guitarist who can play the blues. (But note that they did not say he was a bluesman).

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, he isn't a blues man ok, I believe you...
wink.gif

blues-men.jpg

biggrin.gif

Awesome! These things don't just create themselves, and I always appreciate such efforts. I'm sure you had some 'laugh to self' moments while clicking away trying to locate the images, etc.

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Arcuri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this video instead... John Mayer Trio playing on Letterman a little over a year ago. Watch the whole thing, including the little tribute to Jimi Hendrix at the end. I wish all radio artists were as "lame" as Mayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVXuj86VpQ

Ok, so he can play the guitar, but I still don't like him and think he needs a haircut!

(Nah, I'm just having some fun at the expense of those who insist upon having a debate just for the sake of it. If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I like him, generally speaking. Although I must admit that I'm a bit underwhelmed by him as a "bluesman" I can see why others may think differently and can respect that without imposing my superior tastes in, or knowledge of, music on them.)

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

You missed the point of my post.
confused.gif

It's "improper" to classify him. What are you talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back