John Mayer Concert (Not what you think)
Jul 22, 2007 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

trose49

Banned
Just a quick note to anyone resisting to see a John Mayer concert because you think he only plays girly music.

All I can say is you are making a big mistake, swallow your pride and see him live. He is a [size=small]MONSTER GUITAR PLAYER[/size].

I went to the Hartford CT show on July 14th and had 8th row dead center stage seats. ( got em from a friend of a friend).

I have to say I have just started getting into Mayer about a year ago with the whole John Mayer Trio release and I am a big Blues fan in general. When the newest Continuum CD came out and at first I liked half the songs but is definatley a CD that grows on you and really is blues based meaning the core of the music (and some will argue all music) really will apeal to a blues enthusiast.

John played 2 straight hours without breaks except for maybe 5 mins before the planned encore. He played his arse off.

Anyone who is a guitar enthusist really should treat themselves to a Live John Mayer show. No overstated pyrotechnics, no exceptional crazy light show, just great sounding music that will give you goose bumps if you can aprreciiate true talent. (The talent part is not disputable sorry!)

The sound quality of the show was probably the most impressive I have every heard. The bass was soooo deep and tight it felt like fireworks bouncing off your chest and all the vocals and individual intruments sounded clear as a bell and sounded like a UE-10 pros with 100 subwoofers under your chair! LOL! I honestly never heard sound this good.

Get over the girly song image of JM obviously John has!
wink.gif

And if for some reason you just dont go for the music you will never see an audiance that is over 75% female and Im talkin John has pretty fans! If ya know what I mean. Thats itself was worth the price of admission!
tongue.gif

Check em out!

If you do go to a show I would love to hear your thoughts after!

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 32
I have seen him three times so far, and I don't really like his CDs too much. Not really after Room For Squares, at least. I did really like Heavier Things, though.

And I continue to see him, because he is a machine. I say to people that in 10 years, he might possibly be the next Eric Clapton. He is a jazz/rock badass for sure, and has influenced my own playing very very much. Excellent musician, and I recommend his concerts to every one. He releases pop CDs because they sell - but when you see him live you know that deep down, he just wants to play rock and roll.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 32
My little bro went last week in Boston. He's not a Mayer fan at all (his GF is) and, although he told me Mayer does play a pretty mean guitar - something he doesn't do in recordings - he (my bro) still would've been happy to leave after Ben Folds rocked the roof off the Garden! Ben rules!!!

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(The talent part is not disputable sorry!)

Oh yes it is.
evil_smiley.gif

Glad atleast you enjoyed it. (And I have seen Mayer live.)

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 32
I agree that he is a very talented musician, and has been encouraged by a variety of older greats, including Paul Simon.

But he did himself no favors by diving head first into the tabloids via a "relationship" with the dumb blond du jour. What could he possibly have been thinking? There are far, far more beautiful women, if that's what floats his boat, and some of them even have brains. Again...what was he thinking?

Edit: Another mistake has been his willingness to allow himself to be marketed on his looks. Good for his bank account, no doubt. Not good for his chances of getting a fair hearing from people who care about music.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 32
Glad to hear that he actually made it this year (he cancelled his Connecticut show at the very last minute in 2006).

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 32
+1 more for John Mayer. Very under rated by many, but I think jams with the very best. My wife and I have seen him twice at the The Woodlands (Houston) within that past year (recently, just a few weeks ago). You hear Clapton as well as Hendrix influences, especially when he cuts loose. As a player myself, I'm particularly impressed with him. Did anyone catch him on stage with The Police recently during that Al Gore "rock around the world" gig (or, whatever it was called)? He didn't do much, and I wasn't even sure why he bothered...and, I just cringed when Kanye West came on stage and spoiled the whole thing! I'm digressing...but, I'm a huge Mayer fan.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 32
His first few albums were pure pop in order to gain popularity and support from record labels... Continuum was definitely an evolution in his sound to the music he TRULY likes to play. I wouldn't be surprised if his future albums become more and more bluesey as the record labels give him the freedom and trust to do his own thing, while still being able to sell records.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 32
I heard some of his songs on the radio and never really paid him much attention.
But he was on the Chappelle Show in a skit about rock music and he definately could jam. The skit was pretty funny.

Ed

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 32
I know John back from high school. He's a pretty good guitar player, though he played much different music back in Fairfield, CT. Mayer wasn't even interested in 'blues' when I knew him. He was playing a much more experimental kind of music. People from Atlanta, Georgia who were lucky enough to know him before he hit the big time can back me up on this. His playing was more in line with those like Otoma Yoshide. Now, I won't say he is a virtuoso, but he certainly has chops.

Blues fans and guitar players alike are in their right to dismiss this claim, because his playing clearly wouldn't parallel my comments. However, I've heard a side to John Mayer that few have. The man would always be ON FIRE when he was playing his old original compositions. Yes, I saw him in concert and was not that impressed, but the style of music was totally different (as I expected, after hearing his first hit single, which was written about the high school WE ATTENDED!). It's like an opera singer trying to sing pop music, or vice-versa. Not as extreme a situation as that, but I'm sure most here will get the picture.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 32
I agree!

Saw John Mayer last week in Philadephia, and I must say this guy is one amazing guitar player. Playing a variety of styles from Blues, Alternative, Rock and Acoustic...John Mayer is very talented. Kind of reminds me of a young Eric Clapton.

While I have to admit that the crowd was younger, still, if anyone wants to see a future guitar great...don't miss John Mayer

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aman, I'm really interested to hear the "original" John Mayer stuff. Any idea where I can find this material?

Check out the live album from the John Mayer Trio entitled TRY!

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 32
Rhapsody has most (all?) of his stuff uploaded for streaming. This is a great way for anyone, less familiar with him, to try some of his work--even if you're not a Rhapsody subscriber (you can check out a 30 sec. sample of each track)...

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aman, I'm really interested to hear the "original" John Mayer stuff. Any idea where I can find this material?

John was very open about sharing his music online. In fact, he told everybody who taped his concerts to put them online and get them to as many people as possible. They're out there if you look hard enough for them
wink.gif
He used to say to people, "Okay, I'll give you this recording. However, you have to promise me that you'll give it to all your friends."
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
Check out the live album from the John Mayer Trio entitled TRY!

Nope, not even close. Again, he didn't even have "blues" in his head until after he'd switched over to pop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back