John Linsley Hood Amplifier completed
Jun 1, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #91 of 104
How can you say it's not single-ended?

It is definitely single-ended Class-A :) The circuit is basically
an op-amp feeding an emitter follower. The op-amp provides the voltage gain
and the emitter follower increases the output current capabilities. A
constant current source provides the load for the emitter follower.

Nigel

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #92 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by buggalugs
Don't forget to visit wnaudio.com if you are UK residents.
For a commensurate price as the Chiarra kit you get audiophile caps and resistors, top range chips and a mouth watering stepped attenuator - on paper this looks a much tastier package.
Oh and by the way how does the guy at Hart justify calling this a "single ended" amp when there is a dual op amp and dual supply at the centre of his kit? - perhaps it's the purist in me but it's not my understanding of single endedness.

"Single ended" refers to classification of the circuit design, rather than how many channels each unit has.

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #93 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by buggalugs
Don't forget to visit wnaudio.com if you are UK residents.
For a commensurate price as the Chiarra kit you get audiophile caps and resistors, top range chips and a mouth watering stepped attenuator - on paper this looks a much tastier package.

headamp1.jpg

White Noise Headphone amplifier

I assume that this spec is good:

Quote:

The audiophile grade headphone amplifier is supplied with OPA627, Welwyn RC55Y resistors, polypropylene capacitors, and OSCON electrolytics.

Its certainly a good price:
Headphone amplifier, standard version, including A&T plug top psu
Kit: £ 75 Assembled and Tested: £105

Headphone amplifier, audiophile version, including A&T plug top psu
Kit: £110 Assembled and Tested: £140

Wordsworth

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #95 of 104
I wouldn't mind putting this amp together, then maybe later on, fitting it all into one box, with a DACT,
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess I'll pick me up a quality soldering iron and get to practicing asap.

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #97 of 104
Luke I am sure you won't be disappointed and it does get better the more it is used. Since getting mine I haven't bought anything else and am now happy with what I have. By the way i found the amp doesn't work too well with low independance headphones like the a1000 or ER4P though it works great with the ER4S (ER4P with 'S' adapter).

Wordsworth

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #98 of 104
Wordsworth

I am using HD600's and jecklin floats.

reccon the 600's should be fine.

Started to right a long post about the whole project and it just disapeared!!!

still cannot believe the size of this funky opamp!!! its so small

watch this space

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #99 of 104
I manly use the HD580's with mine and it sounds great. Reading the details of your amp makes me wonder how different they sound, there is no doubt that changing the op amp effects the sound greatly with these amp so yours having a hightly rated op amp should sound very good.

Wordsworth

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #101 of 104
I'm adding a post to this ancient thread - bringing it back from the dead in 2021.

I have this amp, bought it used for not much about a year ago, and it's great.
It was my first foray into a decent head amp.
Getting more into headphones and head-amps, I am now curious what will significantly better it.
Would be interesting to hear from past owners where they went next, and what perceivable gains they got (over the last 17 years (!!).

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #102 of 104
I'm adding a post to this ancient thread - bringing it back from the dead in 2021.

I have this amp, bought it used for not much about a year ago, and it's great.
It was my first foray into a decent head amp.
Getting more into headphones and head-amps, I am now curious what will significantly better it.
Would be interesting to hear from past owners where they went next, and what perceivable gains they got (over the last 17 years (!!).
That's great that you're happy with it and thought to resurrect this thread, but don't you think there's something better by now (18 years)?

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #104 of 104
do you really believe amplifier technology has moved on in the last 18 years? What significant improvements are you referring to?
Most of what PinkFloyd tweaked and modded is old hat. He'd probably be the first to admit that, with what he worked on back in 2003. He was later banned or left, I forget which - not that I disagreed with him at the time, just that he left and never came back.

Anyway, until about 2010, you mostly had to build a truly fine headphone amp to have one. What was available at the time was either rudimentary opamp and tube circuits, or nothing at all. There wasn't even a DAC available, either. The world has changed since then.

Sorry, but I'm not biting on your question more than that. Read a bit, do some studying, look at the current mfrs today and what they're building.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back