Job interview tomorrow
May 19, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Oistrakh

Headphoneus Supremus
I am having my first job interview tomorrow at a small starbucks-like restaurant inside a hotel. I'll probably be a person working behind the counter. I'm pretty nervous, considering how this will be my first job interview. How stressful are these types of interviews, considering this isn't a very high position? What should I expect during the interview?

May 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having my first job interview tomorrow at a small starbucks-like restaurant inside a hotel. I'll probably be a person working behind the counter. I'm pretty nervous, considering how this will be my first job interview. How stressful are these types of interviews, considering this isn't a very high position? What should I expect during the interview?

I think that for this type position, they are looking for someone with a pleasant demeanor and is approachable. Of course, it is always helpful to provide evidence that you are a competent performer. At the place I work part time, I got one guy fired because he was too slow making deliveries two times. I think any employer wants someone who is close to 100% reliable. Assure them that you're capable and you've got the job.

May 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 21
Interviews are always stressful, no surprise there. Go to job websites like monster and workopolis, print out the practice interview questions and go over them as thoroughly as possible with a friend. Stress level is easier to manage when you don't have to answer the questions completely on the fly. In my experience, those practice questions cover 90% of the non-practical questions, meaning the non-situational specific ones.

Make sure to dress appropriately, makes a better impression. Good luck, hopefully you'll have some extra money to spend on head-fi related purchases this summer =P

May 19, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 21
I think the best thing you can do is to be very honest and, as others have said, be pleasant. When I interview applicants, I look for good character attributes and test for lying on resumes. If you don't want to be tested on something, then don't list it on your resume.

My $0.02.

May 19, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 21
It doesn't follow that a long resume is bad. More usually, it follows that a long resume is not very well focused. If you have a lot of work experience that is not pertinent to the job at hand, that's a mark against you. It's kind of analogous to listing your high school graduation under Education, when you've already listed your college degrees. Just a little unfocused.

If you have a ton of experience, a long resume isn't bad. I've never known an employer to have issue with two or even three pages if it's necessary.

May 19, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Is it ok if my resume is more than one page long? My school said resumes should be only 1 page, but I won't be able to list a lot then...

Keep it to one page. use bullets, don't ramble on with sentences and paragraphs.

Get a hair cut and wear clean, decent clothes, no jeans or T's.

May 19, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 21
And look your interviewer in the eye, firm sure handshake. Be prepared to give some specific examples that show that you are reliable, competent, and perform under pressure (most all jobs have some sort of pressure). You don't need to be perfect - nobody is - just be yourself. The examples are just to help you communicate clearly.

You might be nervous, but interviews can be fun as well. You get to meet somebody new and explore a new future. This is all good.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you are on the right track!

May 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 21
When it comes to the handshake, there's actually some significance to the body language of it. The dominant figure shakes with their palm facing down, which is many times women shake with their palms facing upward. You want to shake firmly so your palm is facing perfectly sideways, denoting equality with the person you're shaking with. If you're interviewing for management or high position, shake with your palm down a bit. If you're interviewing to be a secretary or a submissive role, you can shake with your palm facing up.

Regarding eye contact, the idea is that you want to not be shifty eyed. You can accomplish this by looking your interviewer in the eye. However, the more common mistake people make is to stare piercingly. This is bad because studies have shown that humans tend to size-up others they're interacting with. When you have unwaivering eye contact, you don't afford someone the opportunity to look you up and down, and generally size you up.

What you should do is give a good, equal handshake, then look down to adjust your briefcase for a short moment, then proceed to sit down and make good, comfortable eye contact. These aren't really "interview" tips per se, but really just guidelines on giving good body language, which sounds important for the job you're considering.

May 19, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 21
I'll give you a small hint I use, if you're nervous about meeting new people. But you'll have to be careful with it in an interview situation: when I'm meeting new people, if their appearance reminds me of someone I know from somewhere else, I think about how easy it is to get along with that OTHER person, and somehow it relaxes me more. You just need to be careful you don't get too casual if your compare them with someone you know very well
smily_headphones1.gif

Also: if you need a 1 second pause to think of a decent answer, then by all means take it. It's better to pause and think about what you're going to say, than blurt out something that might hurt you. Just don't pause too long
wink.gif

Be early to the interview location.
Don't chew gum or food.
Keep your hands out of your pockets before the interview, it may make them sweatier than they already are.

This is the other thing some people forget when in an interview, and I think it makes them more nervous: an interview is as much a chance for you to size the EMPLOYER up as it is for them to judge you. Whose to say you aren't interviewing at other places, and are deciding who is best to go with? May not apply quite as much with this kind of role, but don't feel like all the attention is on you. You can always ask THEM questions too, like how long they have been operating (either as a business, or in this particular branch), if they are family owned or franchise (if it's not already obvious... you'll look silly asking a Starbucks that Q :p ). Having questions will show that you aren't a stunned mullet when put in a situation that turn many into a frozen deer in headlights.

Further to the whole handshake thing: when you do shake their hand at the end of the interview, if you are still interested in the job at the end of the interview (remember you're judging them too!), then SAY you're very interested, and that you look forward to hearing back from them (I'd also ask what timeframe to expect to hear from them).

And just keep in mind... an interview isn't the biggest thing in the world. It will be the first of many, and at worst, if you don't get the job, you'll figure out what to do better next time
smily_headphones1.gif
It's all learning.

May 19, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

during my interview the GM asked me what should happen to employees who are caught stealing.. I immediatly said, FIRE THEM.. His face lit up & I got the job
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 21
LOL

My best was:
Q: "What do you know about configuration and use of Installshield?"
In response, I waved my hand over my head in the international "That's over my head" motion. Got the job too
biggrin.gif
This and the previous post just show how valuable honesty and morality are these days!

May 19, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 21
Wear nice pants or perhaps even jeans (no "destroyed" kind..), and a polo or dress shirt. Wear nice shoes. Make sure you're clean and don't have an stubble on your face. Act confident but not conceited. Don't fidget too much. No gum (make sure you brush your teeth). Eye contact is important. You have to basically make the employer believe that you will not let them down, won't steal/lie etc., and that you will ultimately help them make more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back