JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,066 of 1,107
I have the Xtc Open 1.0 bery and love it! May be time to upgrade. Thanks!

The open line is so good.

One of my coworkers has been getting interested in headphones and, after relaying all my experiences with @John Massaria , he picked up a pair of the XTC opens last week. Excited to see his thoughts on it especially since this will be his first real high end set up.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,067 of 1,107
The open line is so good.

One of my coworkers has been getting interested in headphones and, after relaying all my experiences with @John Massaria , he picked up a pair of the XTC opens last week. Excited to see his thoughts on it especially since this will be his first real high end set up.
Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #1,068 of 1,107
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #1,069 of 1,107
Looking at the XTC-2.5C vs XTC-2O, is the choice just whether you need isolation or not? I generally expect Closed backs to have better bass quantity but with the tunings and reviews I've read it seems the Open can be more than sufficient, though I am a bass head. I also can't wrap my head around the various tunings, I feel like warm-yet-detailed is what I would want but not sure if there's a better fit somewhere below or above that.

I can't really describe the sound I'm looking for but I can say I want something of a hybrid between an EMu-Teak, ZMF Eikon, and Meze 109 Pro. I think I enjoy a V/U tuning as well as neutral but I don't like over-emphasized mids. Give me weight behind drums, bass, and piano notes but also give me some staging and imaging with bumped up details.
I agree there are a lot of tunings on the list, and it can be like, uh-oh, I want to make sure I choose the correct one for me. Honestly, reach out to John and let him know what you would like regarding tuning. Maybe John will streamline the list at some point. Many here prefer warm yet detailed tunings to near-scalpel tuning; in-between the two tunings seem perfect to my ears. This is how the pair John sent me was tuned. It sounds like what you are looking for.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 065828.png

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #1,070 of 1,107
I may have missed it in this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has compared the original XTC Open vs the XTC2 Open?
I bought the original open and John did an excellent job tuning it. However after listening to it for several weeks, I sent them back to add more bass.
They sound great, but I was curious if there is enough reason to upgrade?

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #1,071 of 1,107
I have both. Xtc 2 has bigger soundstage, but very similar. Xtc2 has thinner but bigger cups and pads. If you end up grabbing the xtc 2, i recommend possibly a different tuning so you have 2 options.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #1,073 of 1,107
That's a good idea. My opens have a beryllium driver and near scalpel tuning.
Maybe Biowool would be complimentary?
Again, I would discuss your preferred sound with John so that he can recommend drivers, impedances, and tuning options. He will spend a significant amount of time attempting to hit your goal the first time so that you don't have to repeatedly send them to him for retuning. Personally, I have bought 2 phones from him, the XTC-C ^1.0 and the XTC-C ^2.5 Euphoric Xtreme Trip, and both checked all the boxes I discussed with John on the first try. I realize this is in marked contrast with conventional headphone manufacturers where everything is standard off-the-shelf product and maybe the only option is the type of cable, earpads, or earcup finish. With JMAE you not only get those options but also driver type, impedance, and tuning.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #1,074 of 1,107
Going to get a Cen Grand Silver Fox pretty soon. Previous owner is an XTC and Susvara owner and said that it's a very organic and natural pairing with tone and timbre to die for. I will add what I find out about this pairing.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,076 of 1,107
This is very cool!

Ah, com'on John. We are disappointed that you didn't demo eating that block of beeswax.

Leave it to John to come up with another type of wood that we all want. Nice looking African Zebrawood cups.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #1,077 of 1,107
Ah, com'on John. We are disappointed that you didn't demo eating that block of beeswax.

Leave it to John to come up with another type of wood that we all want. Nice looking African Zebrawood cups.
Was lucky to get my XTC2’s in Zebra - gorgeous. My favorite so far. Eating the beeswax would have driven the non-toxic point home for sure! 😁

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #1,078 of 1,107
Having had the XTC 2.5 for a few months now they still keep impressing me. Just came from a couple of weeks holiday and was thrilled to get back to them. Just when the weather was crap and I was in no mood to listen to anything somehow I forced myself to play my last obtained album... The Taxi Driver soundtrack from 1976. I have to admit what a great pick for my current mood it was. Also what an amazing sound quality for the 70's recording. It sounded exactly as I felt at that time and I totally enjoyed it.

Suddenly I feel like I am in the 70s era and it all sounds fantastic. The XTC's timbre, clarity spiced with superb soft bass plus this great soundtrack really made my day. Here I am listening to the Taxi Driver for the second time and sharing my experience. The XTC is a serious contender for the best closed back out there. Whatever I throw into them it sounds phenomenal.

Happy Listening :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,079 of 1,107
Having had the XTC 2.5 for a few months now they still keep impressing me. Just came from a couple of weeks holiday and was thrilled to get back to them. Just when the weather was crap and I was in no mood to listen to anything somehow I forced myself to play my last obtained album... The Taxi Driver soundtrack from 1976. I have to admit what a great pick for my current mood it was. Also what an amazing sound quality for the 70's recording. It sounded exactly as I felt at that time and I totally enjoyed it.

Suddenly I feel like I am in the 70s era and it all sounds fantastic. The XTC's timbre, clarity spiced with superb soft bass plus this great soundtrack really made my day. Here I am listening to the Taxi Driver for the second time and sharing my experience. The XTC is a serious contender for the best closed back out there. Whatever I throw into them it sounds phenomenal.

Happy Listening :)
Yes, that Taxi Driver soundtrack is a famous demo disc from back in the day. I heard it a lot at stereo shows along with others like Muddy Waters Folk Singer, Steely Dan Aja, and others.

I was listening to my XTC 2.5s today to one of the best sounding pop recordings, ELP's Lucky Man and holy squatsauce, Batman, the bass drum whacks were rendered with great impact along with gorgeous midrange body. Reminds me of why I bought these phones in the first place for recordings like these that just don't have the same impact with my other phones.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #1,080 of 1,107
anyone compared the XTC2.5 to Kennerton Magni, GH50 (stock or JM ed) ?

my search for a new closed phone is shortlisted as
XTCc, 1.5, 2.5,Ken magni or gh50.
would be stretching for the 2.5 and gh50 so its a tough gamble for those.
its also frustrating that there is no uk seller of the kennertons anywhere near for a trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Zhon
Back