JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,036 of 1,161
Since I beat JM to the punch here, I think your review is excellent and covers most of the bases. The fact that the XTC-Open 2.0 can compete with cans many times the price is a huge compliment to JMAE, even if you don't prize the excess sibilance. Maybe it is just being true to sibilance contaminating so many otherwise nice or just plain wretched recordings we all have to suffer through if we want to listen to our favorite artists? I haven't heard the XTC-Open versions, only the XTC-Closed 1.0 and 2.5 Euphoric Xtreme Trip phones that do not to my ears suffer from excess sibilance. Being the owner of RAAL SR-1b, Dan Clark Audio Stealth, and previously the Kennerton Rognir Planar, I am quite familiar with treble that is recorded way too hot, middle age ears notwithstanding.

Anyway, appreciate the nice review.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,037 of 1,161
XTC2 Review: https://bytes-bull.com/2024/03/23/jm-audio-xtc2/

I give it a half hour until John tells me I said something wrong haha.
I found the conclusion rather weak and misleading considering many of us read it first. Having compared the XTC2 favorably to the supposedly perfect Susvara, which I think even John would say is state of the art although at a steep price, it still leaves the reader feeling like we have to wait for the imaginary XTC3. Also referring to the XTC2 as the only headphone under $1K that can come close to the Susvara, while admirable, I think there are few others regardless of price that can compete with the XTC2. Besides you can’t get the Susvara tuned to your preferences, but I guess based on the reverence for the Susvara that it is tuned perfectly for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,038 of 1,161
XTC2 Review: https://bytes-bull.com/2024/03/23/jm-audio-xtc2/

I give it a half hour until John tells me I said something wrong haha.
I tuned your set for extra detail and to be fair the XTC2 you have was in the 32ohm beryllium driver - I usually use the 32ohm drivers for the closed backs and never heard anyone say they sounded sibilant - including the xtc^2.5 review bytes and bull did - I’d like to also mention I did offer to retune the set you have or change the drivers out for the traditional 64 ohm which I always use in the xtc2 or even try the 300ohm. I guess I overshot with the detail - a problem easily rectified - we were trying the 32ohm in the xtc2 to complete with the highly vaunted top of the line headphones of the world - we got really close to it but choices abound as the ball is always in my customers court for choices to retune. When a tuning asks for maximum detail in the tuning I think some songs will reveal their true warts and beauty -

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #1,040 of 1,161
I have the 32 Ohm in my XTC2 and sibliant is not a word that comes to mind.
I offered to retune and I feel the review needs to make that clear/ to be clear about the cables - the $45 extra includes 7N occ internal wiring and the customer gets a choice for two wires - one litz (hand braided - not paracord) wire and one copperhead (xlr, 4.4, 3.5 or 6.35) - also the headband can be adjusted when doing the retune - I’d be happy to do that of course for any owner -

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #1,041 of 1,161
I offered to retune and I feel the review needs to make that clear/ to be clear about the cables - the $45 extra includes 7N occ internal wiring and the customer gets a choice for two wires - one litz wire and one copperhead (xlr, 4.4, 3.5 or 6.35) - also the headband can be adjusted when doing the retune - I’d be happy to do that of course for any owner -
You also told me that damping the sibilance would worsen other aspects as well. So we decided not to do it. I told you if you could figure out how to make it work without ruining the other aspects of the headphones, to let me know and I'd send it back. Cheers.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #1,042 of 1,161
You also told me that damping the sibilance would worsen other aspects as well. So we decided not to do it. I told you if you could figure out how to make it work without ruining the other aspects of the headphones, to let me know and I'd send it back. Cheers.
I’m happy to try - I think I may have gone too detailed - warts get revealed in certain songs- it’s always a give and take - plus I can adjust the headband - can I ask are you on lowest bottom setting on pin? Is the pin so it can go no lower? If so I can still adjust the leather further or even swap the c parts - again this is the first I ever had someone say the headband is too large but again happy to refine the fit - at $1044 with 3 sets of ear pads and two sets of cables and the hard case - the XTC2- is a value I still can customize for both sound tuning and fit - I’m not sure what else one can offer- as far as tuning I never recommend too much detail as long term sessions can get fatiguing - I always think a slightly warmer tuning with tight bass is preferred at least by me… it’s cool to push the boundaries though - /email me so we can arrange refit/retune and that goes for any owner - I’m here to help

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,043 of 1,161
I’m happy to try - I think I may have gone too detailed - warts get revealed in certain songs- it’s always a give and take - plus I can adjust the headband - can I ask are you on lowest bottom setting on pin? Is the pin so it can go no lower? If so I can still adjust the leather further or even swap the c parts - again this is the first I ever had someone say the headband is too large but again happy to refine the fit - at $1044 with 3 sets of ear pads and two sets of cables and the hard case - the XTC2- is a value I still can customize for both sound tuning and fit - I’m not sure what else one can offer- as far as tuning I never recommend too much detail as long term sessions can get fatiguing - I always think a slightly warmer tuning with tight bass is preferred at least by me… it’s cool to push the boundaries though - /email me so we can arrange refit/retune and that goes for any owner - I’m here to help
It's on the lowest setting - new headband, never had that issue on the old ones.

17112432777233255828553236518737.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #1,044 of 1,161
It's on the lowest setting - new headband, never had that issue on the old ones.

17112432777233255828553236518737.jpg
Pm me and we can get that sorted - easy fix same with tuning -

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,045 of 1,161
The other thing that can be said about high resolution phones like the XTC is that they can be ruthlessly revealing of not only recordings but also of associated equipment up the chain, my Benchmark HPA4 amp being one such animal. If your electronic chain has a certain character, as most do, your headphones may not be the driver of the sound you hear but your associated equipment indeed be the culprit.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,046 of 1,161
The other thing that can be said about high resolution phones like the XTC is that they can be ruthlessly revealing of not only recordings but also of associated equipment up the chain, my Benchmark HPA4 amp being one such animal. If your electronic chain has a certain character, as most do, your headphones may not be the driver of the sound you hear but your associated equipment indeed be the culprit.
Yep, I tried them on a couple chains. I have a couple more coming in next week too. I think a 4.5/5 is pretty excellent, not sure why people are treating it like a 3/5.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,047 of 1,161
The other thing that can be said about high resolution phones like the XTC is that they can be ruthlessly revealing of not only recordings but also of associated equipment up the chain, my Benchmark HPA4 amp being one such animal. If your electronic chain has a certain character, as most do, your headphones may not be the driver of the sound you hear but your associated equipment indeed be the culprit.guess owners don’t have any sibilsnce for n their xtc2 and like me I think I dialed them in too much for you and
Gear makes a huge difference - my Holo Red streamer and Gustard a26 w/RSA Apache reveal no sibilance unless the song has it baked in - idk but if it’s a deal breaker I can fix it in a retune and the whole point of why I do what I do - I can’t tell people your streamer or amp or dac is known to have sibilance - I just can’t - so I offer retunes - I think that’s why I grew so fast - people can have it their way -

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #1,049 of 1,161
Well said. I am using an Auralic Aries G1, a modified Bel Canto DAC 3.7 and a 2023 Burson 3X GT with V7 Vivid op-amps and upgraded power supply connected with Wywires Diamond and Platinum cables. There is no hint sibilance or other unwelcome distortions on my 32 Ohm XTC2’s. Having strived for the lowest noise floor possible the detail is amazing!

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #1,050 of 1,161
I have to say John, your customer service and communication is 2nd to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back