JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #991 of 1,107
Wolf hawk/Bytes and Bull Tuning! Say what? 🤣
I just got my second pair of XTC2’s. I was talking to John about the Susvara and he suggested the only sane thing to do would be to get a second pair tuned differently than my first pair, which is tuned with enhanced bass and detailed on warm side. The new tuning has high current, low gain for maximum definition. John was not exaggerating. If they were a TV they would definitely be 8K. The detail, air, separation, depth is just incredible. Everything just comes at you in high definition. I was a little concerned that they may come across a little harsh or cold being so detailed driven, but those concerns have quickly vanished. They still have that organic sound John is so famous for. They don’t add or subtract anything from the recording. It’s quite the experience if you have a very resolving system and highly recommended. I was even lucky enough to get the Zebra wood. They are very handsome!
Damn they look good. John, when i order mine in a few months, I'll have exactly the same tuning please!!!! Sounds right up my alley!!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #992 of 1,107
Damn they look good. John, when i order mine in a few months, I'll have exactly the same tuning please!!!! Sounds right up my alley!!!
You will not be disappointed based on your previous post! I think they are going to be my new favorites.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #993 of 1,107
You will not be disappointed based on your previous post! I think they are going to be my new favorites.
I was listening to some doof doof on my XTC 2.5s last night on my new portable topping g5 and they absolutely rocked!!!!! I was supposed order a pair of open jm 2s a little while ago but I got the bokehs on sale. JM opens next!!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #994 of 1,107
I was listening to some doof doof on my XTC 2.5s last night on my new portable topping g5 and they absolutely rocked!!!!! I was supposed order a pair of oven ba ks little while but I got the bokehs on sale. JM opens next!!!!!
The 2.5 are awesome but the XTC2 open are just something else. With a little crossfeed it’s about as close as you are going to get to speakers.

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #995 of 1,107
With a little crossfeed it’s about as close as you are going to get to speakers.
Just observation, nothing bad..but why do I read this so often?
Almost everyone who is into headphones craves them to sound like speakers.

I love listening to speakers, headphones, and IEMs. Why?
Because they are all so different.

For me, no headphones can ever replace the sound of speakers.
And no speakers can give me the intimacy I get with headphones or IEMs (which are also completely different from headphones).

Why do I even write this? It's not to confront you; I just took the opportunity of your sentence :) to write that...

Please, John, when I order a pair of XTC 2.5 closed-back this year, I want them to sound unique, as closed-back headphones.
I don't want them to sound anything like speakers; I want them to sound like closed-back headphones!

If I were looking for headphones that sounded like speakers,
I would just continue to listen to my speakers, not something that reminds me of speakers.

Just a short introduction to John of what I would like to have when I get my XTC 2.5 :)

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #996 of 1,107

And no speakers can give me the intimacy I get with headphones or IEMs (which are also completely different from headphones).

Why do I even write this? It's not to confront you; I just took the opportunity of your sentence :) to write that...

Please, John, when I order a pair of XTC 2.5 closed-back this year, I want them to sound unique, as closed-back headphones.
I don't want them to sound anything like speakers; I want them to sound like closed-back headphones!

I would just continue to listen to my speakers, not something that reminds me of speakers.

Just a short introduction to John of what I would like to have when I get my XTC 2.5 :)

Cheers!
Not everyone can have speakers while craving the speakers kind of experience. I understand headphones cannot replace speakers. But I guess some headphones are closer to speakers than others.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #997 of 1,107
Not everyone can have speakers while craving the speakers kind of experience. I understand headphones cannot replace speakers. But I guess some headphones are closer to speakers than others.
IMO, the headphone that comes closest to a speaker-like presentation, i.e. a reproduction of a live musical event in a performing space, is the RAAL SR-1b. If you like this type of presentation, this gets you part way from a closed-cup headphone or IEM to loudspeakers in a room. However, and I have said this before, on some recordings, particularly those with a bass foundation, there is no substitute for the type of bass and dynamics that the XTC gives, even if that is a more intimate perspective.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #998 of 1,107
I have to admit that I am a hopeless sucker for the type of gorgeous pop melodies like those found on Smith Westerns Soft Will album. Try the below link for an example. Mesmerizing sound on the XTC-Closed Euphoric Xtreme Trip ^2.5.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #999 of 1,107

Cheers!
It more a matter of the big perceived soundstage you get with the XTC2. It’s out of your head and all around you.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #1,000 of 1,107
It more a matter of the big perceived soundstage you get with the XTC2. It’s out of your head and all around you.
Oh yah. That’s what I love so much about my XTC2. On my set up the soundstage is wild. Very realistic and full but all around me, not only left and right, forward and back and up and down too. I remember reading and hearing reviewers talk about this experience then when I had my XTC2 on my set up I thought “Oooooooh! That’s what they mean.” The amazing thing to me is that I’m sure other headphones can do the same but at the $1000 price point I haven’t really found many does it anywhere close to as well as the XTC2. And to get it as good with speakers I’d need way more equipment than 2 speakers, an amp, and a dac. I’d need a specific processor that does all the Dolby-esque magic, or other amazing DSP room correction processor, many speakers perfectly set up all over the room, all that stuff. I love that stuff for sure, my friend had it all for his moves and gaming set up and it’s incredible, but for one pair of headphones to do it this well without any of that digital processing is fantastic.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,001 of 1,107
am i correct in thinking the XTC 2.5 is only available in 32ohm?

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,002 of 1,107
am i correct in thinking the XTC 2.5 is only available in 32ohm?

nope... I got 64ohm and suprisingly its still very easy to drive.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,003 of 1,107
nope... I got 64ohm and suprisingly its still very easy to drive.
thanks for the reply.
i may ask John if it is possible for 300ohm as my 2 main amps are both best suited to high impedance cans

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,004 of 1,107
thanks for the reply.
i may ask John if it is possible for 300ohm as my 2 main amps are both best suited to high impedance cans

Im considering 300ohm for XTC Open.. would like to know more details

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,005 of 1,107
Im considering 300ohm for XTC Open.. would like to know more details
loving mine . great match with both my amps.
will update my sig

Users who are viewing this thread

• Zhon
Back