JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #961 of 1,107
I enjoyed your solution to the phones not providing the perfect fit. I too am a pinhead but I guess I was lucky where my 2.5s fit perfectly. The only problem was the slippage of the rods through the adjusting blocks or whatever they are called. My earcups made of the dense African Blackwood Burl probably exacerbated the slippage problem. I had to tighten them down with some Allen Wrenches and now they don't slip anywhere as much.

I have had mine for about 2.5 weeks now and they are still breaking in and sounding better each day.
:smile_phones:

For the slippage problem..

Here is an excellent solution... small rubber rings, you can put them from bottom and top then the problem with slippage is gone.

They can be applied to many different headphones.

1709849608751.png

1709849552184.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #962 of 1,107
Last night received an XTC2 beryllium… emailed following first impressions to JM…

Dare I say… these are wonderful!!!
Aesthetically, I get the feeling I’m interacting with something that’s hand finished with a real sense of quality, packaged for maximum protection and pristine delivery.
The XTC2’s feel (physically) light and quite comfortable and even though they are open backed, the damping material (I think?) offers a sense of sitting down in a quieter semi removed environment without feeling “closed in”. Didn’t expect that…Nice!

Sonically, I get the feeling that the music is being delivered with a sense effortlessness and ease. Nothing feels “pushed” and it seems there is a deep reservoir of dynamics available to drive any musical passage that’s about to gently blossom or forcefully explode. Relaxing and engaging simultaneously.
Wow, the three sets of earpads are like three different headphones. So far the asymmetrical leather pads seem to be the right balance however the fuzzy ones have an interesting liquid quality. Had no idea ear pads made such a dramatic difference. Also, the included cables are beautiful made and pleasure to use and handle.

Only a few hours late last night with them so it seems premature at the moment to address tuning….Will try a few different amps, etc.

Anyway, I’m very pleased and I have enjoyed the process. Thank you.

Best,

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpeg
    IMG_4230.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #963 of 1,107
Since I got the XTC 2.5 they have been amazing. Superb sound that gave me no space to improve it further with some EQ settings. Still there was a small setback in terms of their fit. I have a small head and I really struggled to make the clamp force and seal good enough for my liking. Their seal caused some issues as the bass was good but not great and the surrounding sounds were leaking in. Although I tried to fiddle with the headband to make it more tight I could not achieve this. On the other side my D7200 fits perfectly with great slamp force and excellent seal.

So, I managed to get a new headband and was very keen to try it. Although it might look simple to replace the headband like this, the opposite was true. It took pretty hard work to lose the rods on both sets and then replace them as shown. But on the other side the hard work paid off. The clamping force is perfect and the seal too. What this did to the sound is just amazing. There were improvements across all the frequencies. Well this works with every headphone if you push the cups against your head you will hear the difference.

What was supposed to be just an experiment ended up as a big success for me. I am well impressed with the XTC now and as I wrote before there is almost nothing to complain about. The results are not perfect though... The clamp force and isolation improved but the comfort and overall weight lost their positives. Even the extra headband padding the comfort with the original headband is better. For me it's not a major thing as I can use these for 5+ hours and they do not bother me. Their amazing sound is a priority. As a bonus they are looking as the legendary Sony R10 now.

I just wanted to share my experience, my mini project the XTC Custom.
Thanks to John for this amazing sounding headphones.
I will post some more photos later on.

Happy Listening :)

ART_8 XTC_custom.jpg
Where did you get the head band? Link?

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #964 of 1,107
Where did you get the head band? Link?

I got it about an year ago from Ebay (some chinise seller). Initially, I got it for my other hp D7000 but ended up using it with XTC.
There are some replacement headbands available now but do not see this same type right now. Once I spot it I post the link here.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #965 of 1,107
My XTC-C ^2.5 headband is perfectly fine for me but I realize that others might not see as good a fit and/or they want something different. Good that JM is offering such an "upgrade" for free and the only cost is shipping.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #967 of 1,107
Just placed my order for the XTC 2 open backs! I am stoked to be joining the JM Audio fam. 🤘
To get you more excited, watch Williams review on YouTube-the headphone experience. I won’t give it away but he kinda likes these……..

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #968 of 1,107
To get you more excited, watch Williams review on YouTube-the headphone experience. I won’t give it away but he kinda likes these……..
Ha i was actually watching that last night and then purchased them right after 😅

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #969 of 1,107
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #970 of 1,107
Ha i was actually watching that last night and then purchased them right after 😅
You have to respect a man who gets a 20-pound chunk of wood in the forehead and still, the next morning, does a review of the headphones :)
He is such a cool man! :)
Somehow...I just trust his opinion...I think he bought me to get a closed-back version after all...not yet, but soon, I hope.

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #971 of 1,107
You have to respect a man who gets a 20-pound chunk of wood in the forehead and still, the next morning, does a review of the headphones :)
Somehow...I just trust his opinion...I think he bought me to get a closed-back version after all...not yet, but soon, I hope.

Cheers!
Wait, what??? What was the wood to the forehead bit?

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #972 of 1,107

Cheers!
John’s closed backs are sensational!! I’ll be getting the open version this year!!

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #973 of 1,107
John- I must say I was listening to the 2.5XTC this morning and I am impressed. Easily driven, no hiss with any of my sources. The bass reminds me it is there when it needs to and the highs are so well extended without giving me fatigue. What an enjoyable listening experience. :thumbsup:

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #975 of 1,107
I'd like to see William Murdock soon review the closed version.

Cheers!

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
I am sure I will get around to giving these an honest review...sorry though I don't do Youtube. I enjoy watching him as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back