JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #946 of 1,107
This is my third crafted creation from John. It is the XTC 2.5 in Brazilian Tiger Burl Wood with the Copperhead cable. 1 of 5 so if you like the wood, move quickly. I opted for wax as opposed to shiny.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #947 of 1,107
Mar 3, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #948 of 1,107
Woah, those cool
Yep, I think so as well! They have hardly left my head, of course I can't see them on my head, but the sound is equally as "cool".

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #949 of 1,107
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #950 of 1,107
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #951 of 1,107
Do you have distributors in the EU?
If not, would you consider one? I could spread the word :)

This idea of an amphitheatre inside the cups is fantastic...
I would buy a pair just because of that...and the XTC explanation :wink:

I am looking for the best closed back planar on the market...these might be it?

It's weird that I just stumbled upon your headphones, since I am on Head Fi...there was not much talk about it.

But I'm not too fond of paying any money to customs (35%)...I hope there's a way to avoid that :)

Cheers!
These headphones are not planar magnetics but use either biowool or beryllium dynamic drivers. That being said, they may well be the best closed back dynamic driver headphones on the market. :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #952 of 1,107
Ok, I have some headphone pics for you guys today: the JM Audio XTC2 1 of 2 Red and White headphones. How cool are those?

PXL_20240307_175250249.jpg
PXL_20240307_175307952.jpg
PXL_20240307_175338433.jpg
PXL_20240307_175231874.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #953 of 1,107
Ok, I have some headphone pics for you guys today: the JM Audio XTC2 1 of 2 Red and White headphones. How cool are those?

PXL_20240307_175250249.jpgPXL_20240307_175307952.jpgPXL_20240307_175338433.jpgPXL_20240307_175231874.jpg

Very cool :) !!

I would be interested to hear how these compare to Tungsten and Tres SE. Would it be possible to make and share some comparison?

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #954 of 1,107
Very cool :) !!

I would be interested to hear how these compare to Tungsten and Tres SE. Would it be possible to make and share some comparison?
I will happily do that - that's one of the reasons John sent me these. Oh, and also the Susvara haha.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #955 of 1,107

PXL_20240307_175250249.jpgPXL_20240307_175307952.jpgPXL_20240307_175338433.jpgPXL_20240307_175231874.jpg
Very cool. John makes phones that punch way above their weight.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #956 of 1,107

Best looking pair I have seen yet!!!! Enjoy!!

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #957 of 1,107
Since I got the XTC 2.5 they have been amazing. Superb sound that gave me no space to improve it further with some EQ settings. Still there was a small setback in terms of their fit. I have a small head and I really struggled to make the clamp force and seal good enough for my liking. Their seal caused some issues as the bass was good but not great and the surrounding sounds were leaking in. Although I tried to fiddle with the headband to make it more tight I could not achieve this. On the other side my D7200 fits perfectly with great slamp force and excellent seal.

So, I managed to get a new headband and was very keen to try it. Although it might look simple to replace the headband like this, the opposite was true. It took pretty hard work to lose the rods on both sets and then replace them as shown. But on the other side the hard work paid off. The clamping force is perfect and the seal too. What this did to the sound is just amazing. There were improvements across all the frequencies. Well this works with every headphone if you push the cups against your head you will hear the difference.

What was supposed to be just an experiment ended up as a big success for me. I am well impressed with the XTC now and as I wrote before there is almost nothing to complain about. The results are not perfect though... The clamp force and isolation improved but the comfort and overall weight lost their positives. Even the extra headband padding the comfort with the original headband is better. For me it's not a major thing as I can use these for 5+ hours and they do not bother me. Their amazing sound is a priority. As a bonus they are looking as the legendary Sony R10 now.

I just wanted to share my experience, my mini project the XTC Custom.
Thanks to John for this amazing sounding headphones.
I will post some more photos later on.

Happy Listening :)

ART_8 XTC_custom.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #958 of 1,107
Since I got the XTC 2.5 they have been amazing. Superb sound that gave me no space to improve it further with some EQ settings. Still there was a small setback in terms of their fit. I have a small head and I really struggled to make the clamp force and seal good enough for my liking. Their seal caused some issues as the bass was good but not great and the surrounding sounds were leaking in. Although I tried to fiddle with the headband to make it more tight I could not achieve this. On the other side my D7200 fits perfectly with great slamp force and excellent seal.

So, I managed to get a new headband and was very keen to try it. Although it might look simple to replace the headband like this, the opposite was true. It took pretty hard work to lose the rods on both sets and then replace them as shown. But on the other side the hard work paid off. The clamping force is perfect and the seal too. What this did to the sound is just amazing. There were improvements across all the frequencies. Well this works with every headphone if you push the cups against your head you will hear the difference.

What was supposed to be just an experiment ended up as a big success for me. I am well impressed with the XTC now and as I wrote before there is almost nothing to complain about. The results are not perfect though... The clamp force and isolation improved but the comfort and overall weight lost their positives. Even the extra headband padding the comfort with the original headband is better. For me it's not a major thing as I can use these for 5+ hours and they do not bother me. Their amazing sound is a priority. As a bonus they are looking as the legendary Sony R10 now.

ART_8 XTC_custom.jpg
I enjoyed your solution to the phones not providing the perfect fit. I too am a pinhead but I guess I was lucky where my 2.5s fit perfectly. The only problem was the slippage of the rods through the adjusting blocks or whatever they are called. My earcups made of the dense African Blackwood Burl probably exacerbated the slippage problem. I had to tighten them down with some Allen Wrenches and now they don't slip anywhere as much.

I have had mine for about 2.5 weeks now and they are still breaking in and sounding better each day.
:smile_phones:

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #959 of 1,107

ART_8 XTC_custom.jpg
Are you a professional photographer? Awesome photo and these look great!!!!! Well done and enjoy!!

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #960 of 1,107
I enjoyed your solution to the phones not providing the perfect fit. I too am a pinhead but I guess I was lucky where my 2.5s fit perfectly. The only problem was the slippage of the rods through the adjusting blocks or whatever they are called. My earcups made of the dense African Blackwood Burl probably exacerbated the slippage problem. I had to tighten them down with some Allen Wrenches and now they don't slip anywhere as much.

I have had mine for about 2.5 weeks now and they are still breaking in and sounding better each day.
:smile_phones:
It's funny - I had the same issue a little way into my journey. Just kept loosening so i'd be tightening daily> I contacted John, he was very helpful and offered a solution and said send back if it doesn't work but weirdly, one day they just stopped loosening. Weird. They are magnificent cans!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back