JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #856 of 1,111
Just got my XTC Open, been listening for the last few hours. 64 ohm Bery tuned Slightly warm but detailed. I told John I listen mostly to Jazz, but listening to blues right now. Carl Weathersby sounds great! The rest of the system is an Audio Note Kit 2.1 Sig into a Schiit Pietous Max. The part I haven't read much about is how light and comfortable they are. And the clamp is perfect. John, well done sir!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_155755944.jpg
    IMG_20240108_155755944.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #857 of 1,111
The fuzzy pads arn't good with the 2^5 to me they eat into too many frequencies or something. The luxury suede pads came with my 2^5 are good more close big mids and warm with the 2^5 (don't like them so much with the open backs). Square pads seem to put center out further and focus mids/uppers nicely, nice and clean always overall and probably closer to neutral on average. I don't mind going pretty far from reference style personally (perfect world would have the option of both reference and wild stuff and I'm working on having a closer to reference option some day) The suede are a nice compromise of an absorbative sound damping type of pad vs the fuzzy with the 2^5. To me the non absorbative pads tend to focus mids and uppers somewhat and the fuzzy and other pads actually reduce it. Suede/fuzzy less bass than square and leather perf but trade bass definition around too. (fuzzy can increase mid bass definition though increasing some other portion of the bass to prominence overall too at the same time but reduce the size of the big hits) The leather perf literally can buzz constantly and not stop reverbing with boominess that is not acceptable if it's setup to the max for bass in my case for sure. I have always pushed bass and have owned many subwoofers ect. so I love pushing headphones to the limits and it must be related how they are tuned in my case related to using the leather pads. I love those pads and use them and they work just fine with the right tubes ect. Love the clarity and focus in the mids and uppers and the bass just slams at the same time when it's at a nice place. They can make the soundstage a bit off though (sound like listening into a tunnel a bit to me if things don't come out right or be just natural and perfect).

Must say the XTC bass are all quite different. Just depends on the tuning you get with the open backs, they do not lack in bass if their like mine the open backs will not extend in the sub bass quite like the 2^5 which wins there. (the two open backs are a phenomenon in the bass no doubt at what they do best with the 2^5 being the closest to a normal type of bass profile or something that I would expect, the Bio and other Beryl do some unusual things moreso) Each one would be defined overall an above average quantity of bass for a headphone how mine are tuned. Each one can express more bass on the right song than the other. The 2^5 extends into sub bass the most "standard" type of sound for bass without anything too extra in the mid bass compared to the others. My stuff is quite custom tuned keep that in mind and easily is very different than other tunings. That said the very detailed beryl can do just something incredible somewhere in between mid bass and low mids (like nothing else I've ever heard) with finesse and detail/texture speed there. The Bio are just simply MONSTROUS in the mid bass, unbelievable dynamics and quantities for a headphone, much more bass than something like a MDR Z1R in some of it, bass drums, musical drums can just be huge and alive with large very dynamic back tones going along in the mids. Also have realized the new Bio have the most intimate tall/wide soundstage by default (only when using fuzzy cutout pad) (others can be close to the same if setup for it but bio drivers do something interesting here tuned like this for sure and were the farthest away sounding of the XTC before), just a phenomenal headphone absolutely in love with them. Each one is too special and unique. I can recognize the XTC and the same nice separated JM style of sound that is never muddled with them all. The Bio are the least close to reference or neutral overall but still part of the sound can sound very natural and incredibly "right". They all express bad recordings differently which is always a non ideal sound with nice revealing headphones so keep that in mind. The bass are one of the most unique thing's I've heard in my life easily from iMax to car audio ect. in the case of the open backs. Nothing remotely like them for dang sure in their specialized zone. Keep in mind I use musically warping cables some of the time + tubes + tube DAC + XTC and push some wild stuff some of the time. I love my Jot 2 as well which is very punchy, extra warm and musical with tube DAC.

Sorry about the length, hard not to ramble here or I might just make too incomplete a picture.

Thanks for the info, very interesting reading indeed. That XTC Open is definitely tempting for me. I would like to compare it with some other open backs, perhaps some planars. Which XTC Open do you have, the 1.0 or 2.0? Im worried that the 2.0 could be a bit too big for my head :)

Having 2^5 only for a few weeks hasn't had proper time experiment with them except playing with EQ settings. I haven't even tried the other pads and I don't even think I am going to as these full leather pads are the best for bass and seal. Maybe I will get the suede ones for the open version.

The bass is exceptional; it is exactly what I wished for. I know no open back will have better sub-bass than these. I also love their great isolation, it's like detachment from everyday routine and pure connection with music.

Found some interesting pairing ... I have the K9 AKM on the way but from the K5 Pro they already sound very good but had to use mid gain. Clear sound, tons of details, solid punch in low end. Moving to Denon PMA800 they did not sound the best. Small distortion and slight boominess but this was in the normal settings. If I put it into a Direct Source setting then it sounds truly amazing. A lot of authority in bass, very clean sound and it also sounds a bit wider / bigger than directly from K5 Pro.

What I found very interesting was the pairing with Xduoo MT-602. If anybody wants superb sound from XTC without spending too much on the amp then MT-602 is fully recommended here. Their pairing is just fantastic. There is just slightly less authority in the bass region but it all sounds very balanced and very clear. Due to the lowered emphasis in the bass region the overall sound is just a tiny bit clearer. Just fantastic synergy between Xduoo and XTC. I am enjoying swapping the sound between Xduoo and Denon. Not sure if pure tube amps would be the best pairing. I think for the XTC I would prefer more analytical / solid amps but you never know until you try. Claiming this based on the exciting XTC tuning it just needs good power and the cleanest sound possible. The top results will be guaranteed.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #858 of 1,111
Thanks for the info, very interesting reading indeed. That XTC Open is definitely tempting for me. I would like to compare it with some other open backs, perhaps some planars. Which XTC Open do you have, the 1.0 or 2.0? Im worried that the 2.0 could be a bit too big for my head :)

Having 2^5 only for a few weeks hasn't had proper time experiment with them except playing with EQ settings. I haven't even tried the other pads and I don't even think I am going to as these full leather pads are the best for bass and seal. Maybe I will get the suede ones for the open version.

The bass is exceptional; it is exactly what I wished for. I know no open back will have better sub-bass than these. I also love their great isolation, it's like detachment from everyday routine and pure connection with music.

Found some interesting pairing ... I have the K9 AKM on the way but from the K5 Pro they already sound very good but had to use mid gain. Clear sound, tons of details, solid punch in low end. Moving to Denon PMA800 they did not sound the best. Small distortion and slight boominess but this was in the normal settings. If I put it into a Direct Source setting then it sounds truly amazing. A lot of authority in bass, very clean sound and it also sounds a bit wider / bigger than directly from K5 Pro.

What I found very interesting was the pairing with Xduoo MT-602. If anybody wants superb sound from XTC without spending too much on the amp then MT-602 is fully recommended here. Their pairing is just fantastic. There is just slightly less authority in the bass region but it all sounds very balanced and very clear. Due to the lowered emphasis in the bass region the overall sound is just a tiny bit clearer. Just fantastic synergy between Xduoo and XTC. I am enjoying swapping the sound between Xduoo and Denon. Not sure if pure tube amps would be the best pairing. I think for the XTC I would prefer more analytical / solid amps but you never know until you try. Claiming this based on the exciting XTC tuning it just needs good power and the cleanest sound possible. The top results will be guaranteed.
I got the 1.0 open backs. That sounds very nice playing around with pairings. The xtc pronounce equipment so well and it feels so good with them when you clean out noise ect. They reflect clarity very well if it’s there and must sound great on a nice digital setup.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #859 of 1,111
New XTC 1.5 closed Berry 64 ohm- tuned near scalpel.

Just finished a few hundred hours listening and trying different pads, cables, port closure...WOW!

Out of the box I found there was a bit of sibilance in high frequencies, so I let them burn in a bit. I also figured that the tuning was ehancing those freq with the comfy fuzzy pads, so the pad swap to perforated leather was a very good fit. The perforations really help reduce the cave effect and opens the soundstage vs the non perforated leather imo.

After a few try out with closing ports, I manage to almost have the same sound tuning as the open XTC., which is nothing short of spectacular for a closed set. The open still wins with more airiness and refinement, but for me this is almost a tie; I feel the closed can be a bit more intimate with the vocals and small ensembles like jazz or chamber classical and this is good.

In the end of the day, John is a master of sound ; and the exquisite feel of luxury from the closed XTC is impressive and excedes my expectations.

Unfortunately the XTC 1 5 closed will be a gift for a very good friend ; I was happy to enjoy them and cannot recommand those enough; probably they are amongst the best closed back right now.

As always, excellent work John!!

Ps: the Feliks Audio Echo mkII tube OTL really bring out the best of these cans. Highly recommended if you wish to try with tubes (64 ohms tested, I can't vouch for 32 ohms..)

Attachments

• 20240109_133525.jpg
    20240109_133525.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #860 of 1,111
New XTC 1.5 closed Berry 64 ohm- tuned near scalpel.

Just finished a few hundred hours listening and trying different pads, cables, port closure...WOW!

Out of the box I found there was a bit of sibilance in high frequencies, so I let them burn in a bit. I also figured that the tuning was ehancing those freq with the comfy fuzzy pads, so the pad swap to perforated leather was a very good fit. The perforations really help reduce the cave effect and opens the soundstage vs the non perforated leather imo.

After a few try out with closing ports, I manage to almost have the same sound tuning as the open XTC., which is nothing short of spectacular for a closed set. The open still wins with more airiness and refinement, but for me this is almost a tie; I feel the closed can be a bit more intimate with the vocals and small ensembles like jazz or chamber classical and this is good.

In the end of the day, John is a master of sound ; and the exquisite feel of luxury from the closed XTC is impressive and excedes my expectations.

Unfortunately the XTC 1 5 closed will be a gift for a very good friend ; I was happy to enjoy them and cannot recommand those enough; probably they are amongst the best closed back right now.

As always, excellent work John!!

Ps: the Feliks Audio Echo mkII tube OTL really bring out the best of these cans. Highly recommended if you wish to try with tubes (64 ohms tested, I can't vouch for 32 ohms..)

this is very interesting.
i have the open XTC and i am really interested in a closed version.
cant afford the 2.5 so i am considering the standard and 1.5.
my open version is 300ohm which works beautifully with my OTL and Cayin iha6 amps.
i fancied being able to use a closed version around the house so 64 ohm would be ideal for my old dap.
had thought it may be a little low impedence for an otl should i wish to use it at my desk but, having read your comments, it sounds like it will work just fine.

forgot to say i am also considering an Audeze lcd2 closed.
dont suppose any of you have had the chance to compare the two? (long shot, i know)

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #861 of 1,111
Just curious if anyone has heard and can give an impression of the XTC 1.0 (original) and the newer 2.0 version?

I have the original with beryllium drivers and would like to know if the 2nd version is better or just different.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #862 of 1,111
Bought second had xtc one from this forum, it had reference tuning. While I noticed the potential of the element, tuning was a no for me. Contacted JM and sent HP:s for re-tuning. Said that I like warm sound and HD650 is what I like. Retuning including shipping to America and back to EU took 2 weeks or so.

Now how does these sound: Improved HD650, fuller sound with improved comfort, detail, imaging and soundstage. Same enticing mids.
Elites and Stealth do beat these, but at what cost? yeah. These are better than Arya V2 and win also Focal Clears that I used to own.
But let's be critical here. Headband build is cheap, but comfort is top notch, clamp is perfect. These will disappear to your head.
With this tuning: Bass is detailed enough, and has impact. Male vocals are excellent, female vocals are slightly recessed. Highs, such as strings could use a bit more energy and definition. I'm missing some detail here also.

EDIT: Swapped pads, now Highs have more clarity and bass is reduced, by a big margin. Sound is closer to my preference now.
EDIT2: So I had some cheap generic pads from china laying around and decided to give them a try. First I had fuzzy pads, bass was thumpy and strong, how I like it, but highs were muted, then the low profile pads, those sounded just off, broken even. The to high pads which were the best of pads included, but lacked something. Now these pads that I had lying around added detail and bass, nice.

These are excellent headphones in the 1000e range, coupled with the excellent customer service, these do get my recommendation.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #863 of 1,111
Bought second had xtc one from this forum, it had reference tuning. While I noticed the potential of the element, tuning was a no for me. Contacted JM and sent HP:s for re-tuning. Said that I like warm sound and HD650 is what I like. Retuning including shipping to America and back to EU took 2 weeks or so.

Now how does these sound: Improved HD650, fuller sound with improved comfort, detail, imaging and soundstage. Same enticing mids.
Elites and Stealth do beat these, but at what cost? yeah. These are better than Arya V2 and win also Focal Clears that I used to own.
But let's be critical here. Headband build is cheap, but comfort is top notch, clamp is perfect. These will disappear to your head.
With this tuning: Bass is detailed enough, and has impact. Male vocals are excellent, female vocals are slightly recessed. Highs, such as strings could use a bit more energy and definition. I'm missing some detail here also.

These are excellent headphones in the 1000e range, coupled with the excellent customer service, these do get my recommendation.
They are lovely headphones. You say that you like a warm sound but then say the highs are not detailed enough. Won’t get detailed highs with a “warm” sound. I love my hifiman hek stealths for their bright signature (without sibilance) and John tuned mine similarly. They are wonderful.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #864 of 1,111
They are lovely headphones. You say that you like a warm sound but then say the highs are not detailed enough. Won’t get detailed highs with a “warm” sound. I love my hifiman hek stealths for their bright signature (without sibilance) and John tuned mine similarly. They are wonderful.
I consider Elites to be warm and have detail in the high end. Stealth is not as warm, but far from sibilant, and also has detailed high end. But again, 4x price....
Like I said XTC open is a solid 1k headphone.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #865 of 1,111
I consider Elites to be warm and have detail in the high end. Stealth is not as warm, but far from sibilant, and also has detailed high end. But again, 4x price....
Like I said XTC open is a solid 1k headphone
I got the XTC closed cause my Stellias leaked very much, and my wife complaints. a lot
Now. I got an awesome seal. Wife is happy. and I don't miss the stellia. to my ears, this sounds better. also, I don't have to EQ anything. on these headphones. I had to eq the Stellia to make them sound good.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #866 of 1,111
I got the XTC closed cause my Stellias leaked very much, and my wife complaints. a lot
Now. I got an awesome seal. Wife is happy. and I don't miss the stellia. to my ears, this sounds better. also, I don't have to EQ anything. on these headphones. I had to eq the Stellia to make them sound good.
which closed version did you go for?
i am thinking of either the original or 1.5.
i would like the 2.5 but just out of my budget.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #867 of 1,111
which closed version did you go for?
i am thinking of either the original or 1.5.
i would like the 2.5 but just out of my budget.
2.5 I'm very happy and wife is also very happy.

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #869 of 1,111
Oh hellllll. New wood. These may have to be my next wood type. African Blackwood.

72740125743__326CAF03-DF39-43A9-8CE1-D715F392DE30.jpegIMG_4918.jpeg
What did you put on them why are there so shiny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back