JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Oct 26, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #706 of 1,419
Got my open upgraded to the latest revision by John. The soundstage has improved, and it sounds slightly smoother. The XTC value is even better in my eyes now since even that small improvement was on top of an already amazing headphone. I think it will dethrone the HD 800 series for gaming as well for me since it was already very hard to decide which one I liked more for that, but with the upgrade I am leaning XTC.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #707 of 1,419
Got my open upgraded to the latest revision by John. The soundstage has improved, and it sounds slightly smoother. The XTC value is even better in my eyes now since even that small improvement was on top of an already amazing headphone. I think it will dethrone the HD 800 series for gaming as well for me since it was already very hard to decide which one I liked more for that, but with the upgrade I am leaning XTC.
My 2.5 closed backs are amazing! What is the latest revision? Thanks

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #708 of 1,419
My 2.5 closed backs are amazing! What is the latest revision? Thanks
I don't really know what the latest revision is called, but I had one of the older opens so now I have porous carbon and whatever other improvements there were over time.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #709 of 1,419
Would love to read some more comparison of XTC 2.5 vs other closed back such D9200, Rognir Dynamic, GH50, ZMF, etc.
Sounds like XTC 2.5 is real competitor for these higher end closed backs. Getting mine soon.

Are the XTC 2.5 also available in various ohm versions?

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #710 of 1,419
I don't really know what the latest revision is called, but I had one of the older opens so now I have porous carbon and whatever other improvements there were over time.
And what tuning did you choose? I’ve heard about a new “reference” tuning-can someone with experience please explain that? Thanks heaps in advance.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #711 of 1,419
And what tuning did you choose? I’ve heard about a new “reference” tuning-can someone with experience please explain that? Thanks heaps in advance.
I already had XTC opens I just went for upgrades with the same scalpel tuning. I didn't want to change tuning since I already like scalpel.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #712 of 1,419
I already had XTC opens I just went for upgrades with the same scalpel tuning. I didn't want to change tuning since I already like scalpel.
Ok-I went for warm but elevated detail. Amazing bass and lots of treble but it’s handled well and in no way sibilant. What is the scalpel tuning by comparison?

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #713 of 1,419
Ok-I went for warm but elevated detail. Amazing bass and lots of treble but it’s handled well and in no way sibilant. What is the scalpel tuning by comparison?
Scalpel is borderline sibilant it's the most detailed John is willing to do basically. I remember telling him I want the most vocal detail possible. He said it's a tuning for people who like to put a microscope to their music.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #714 of 1,419
Scalpel is borderline sibilant it's the most detailed John is willing to do basically. I remember telling him I want the most vocal detail possible. He said it's a tuning for people who like to put a microscope to their music.
Oh ok so I’m down a step or two in treble then. Thanks. Im
Keen to find out what reference tuning is. I think it started the week after mine were made.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #715 of 1,419
So I’m on the fence ordering the New XTC2 beryllium. Now that they are over the $1k mark it seems the value proposition is being stretched a little.
I’m looking at Hifiman HE1000 stealth from the refurb/open box bin for similar money.

Can anyone chime in on these two?

Cheers

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #716 of 1,419
So I’m on the fence ordering the New XTC2 beryllium. Now that they are over the $1k mark it seems the value proposition is being stretched a little.
I’m looking at Hifiman HE1000 stealth from the refurb/open box bin for similar money.

Cheers
Value proposition not stretched. The XTC competes and compares easily with flagship headphones. What music do you listen to? Anything modern or bass driven will be better on XTC.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #717 of 1,419
Value proposition not stretched. The XTC competes and compares easily with flagship headphones. What music do you listen to? Anything modern or bass driven will be better on XTC.
Good to hear. I listen to all genres really. But when doing dedicated listening its mostly jazz or classical. I particularly enjoy live jazz, blues or rock sets as they seem to have the ability to transport you to the event in a particular way.
I enjoy listening through my vinyl rig and my collection of prime pressings.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #718 of 1,419
Good to hear. I listen to all genres really. But when doing dedicated listening its mostly jazz or classical. I particularly enjoy live jazz, blues or rock sets as they seem to have the ability to transport you to the event in a particular way.
I enjoy listening through my vinyl rig and my collection of prime pressings.
Hmmm Jazz or classical will certainly sound great on both the XTC and HE1000. It's been awhile since I heard the HE1000 but I recall it having superb detail retrieval and resolution but being a bit too bright and lacking significantly in bass and impact/dynamics

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #719 of 1,419

Cheers
Well I can on one. I have the HEK Stealths and I am blown away by them. I have tried just about every TOTL HP out there (I haven't owned them just demoed in stores and at hifi shows) and the Stealths stack up to just about every 1 of them - yes most are slightly better in some ways but for much lower $, Stealths are amazing!. I don't feel the need to ugrade (and i normally have a bad case of uggraditis). I also own the Euforic2.5 cllosed backs and am similarly blown away!!! So I have 1 top open and 1 top closed. And here's the reason I'm chiming in. I'm pretty sure that in the not too distant future, I will be buying a set of John's XTC 2. opens too. I'm not one to collect HPs but would love to own the XTC2 open nd closed, given how good the closeds are. I think for $1k USD (I'm in Australia so about $15-1600), they are amazing value (my closeds were $1300 USD and absolutely worth it). So point being Stealths are awesome but so are JM Audios!!

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #720 of 1,419
Hmmm Jazz or classical will certainly sound great on both the XTC and HE1000. It's been awhile since I heard the HE1000 but I recall it having superb detail retrieval and resolution but being a bit too bright and lacking significantly in bass and impact/dynamics
No - definitely not lacking too much in bass - not a bass monster (like JM Audio closeds) but certainly hold their weight. Clarity/detail retrieval is impeccable and soundstage is pretty big too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back