JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Oct 28, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #736 of 1,419
Interesting. Ever encounter a slight “veiled” effect to the sound? Nothing really thick… it’s slight, but there. Weird because clarity and details are happening as this occurs…crazy.
What port might address this? If any…
Absolutely. It is quite veiled with the all of the ports open on most songs in a portion of the frequencies. It's super clear, clearer than my 64 Ohm beryl open backs all closed up. Just incredible level of clarity and transparency all closed up for any headphone much less a closed back

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #737 of 1,419
I have a pair of XTC-C 1.0, original version, and I use electrical tape to close part or all of the ports. The tape is pretty easy to remove and re-place depending on the recording. Since I have these phones for recordings that need a strong bass underpinning such as Led Zeppelin II, I leave all the ports open for the most bass. On some recordings they have too much bass but nothing like my previously owned Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #739 of 1,419
I have a pair of XTC-C 1.0, original version, and I use electrical tape to close part or all of the ports. The tape is pretty easy to remove and re-place depending on the recording. Since I have these phones for recordings that need a strong bass underpinning such as Led Zeppelin II, I leave all the ports open for the most bass. On some recordings they have too much bass but nothing like my previously owned Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2.
Haha that’s another way to do it. Electrical tape is my friend I use it all the time can’t believe I didn’t think of that. That would look better than the white putty I’m using. The putty works great to easily take off and put on quickly. I’ve been changing ports several times a day not sure I could do the tape that easily but I might do that when I’m done playing around as much. I’m looking for black or brown putty but no luck yet.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #740 of 1,419
If you want something that is nearly imperceptible, get 1/2" Scotch Transparent:

https://www.staples.com/scotch-tran...enser-1-2-x-12-5-yds-1-roll-144/product_29868

If you really want to hide it, you can pull some off and just cut tiny squares big enough to cover the hole and use a pic or tweezers to apply so you don't get your fingerprints all in the adhesive. This transparent tape is good to have around, you'll be surprised what you end up using it for.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #741 of 1,419
You should get some putty for sure and start playing around with closing them. It is huge how the sound changes. Even just opening 2 of the tiniest ports can make a difference. The uppers are clearer, more separated and pushed more forward and less canceled out closed up. Huge difference. Much less bass/boomy reverb like that that can cancel out some of the clarity. It's pretty amazing you can tune the bass texture/tone as well between ports. Best upper midbass accuracy/texture/tone is 4 smallest ports open so far I think but I'm not sure yet. Just 2-4 smallest ports open the bass hits harder and the texture changes from all closed up. The big ports on top are too much for me on most songs very boomy but can sound great on the right song. So far if I had to pick one version it would be the 2 tiniest ports open or all closed up.
I see the 2 larger ports at the top of the cups... the ONLY "Tiny" holes that I see are the ones next to the screws of the metal assembly, connecting to the cups- there are 4 tiny holes total... are these what you are referring to...?

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #742 of 1,419
I see the 2 larger ports at the top of the cups... the ONLY "Tiny" holes that I see are the ones next to the screws of the metal assembly, connecting to the cups- there are 4 tiny holes total... are these what you are referring to...?
There are 5 per cup, 2 are hidden behind the metal band are bigger. 10 total with the whole headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #744 of 1,419
Yes... I see them all now. So, what holes are you covering to "lift that veil", Keeping in mind, I want to maintain the bass as it stands. Any suggestions?
You will lose bass as you close up ports but uppers get clearer on average depending on the songs. Just gotta play with it and find your own preference. Pretty fun stuff to mess with. Love it. I feel like I'm losing the maximum of the more forward sound I love once I go past even just a few ports closed up and it's worth sacrificing the bass. It's still fun to open it all up from time to time though and I would prefer that on some songs but it's just a hassle so I don't usually. I'm still getting better low bass slam than my open backs with just 2-4 smallest ports open so pretty acceptable. Upper mid bass seems best like that too. It loses some texture with all ports open and all closed up and seems to be the sweet spot like that but I need to listen more. Like I said just gotta play with it because your own system and preferences will effect it too, could easily be different whats optimum for you.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #745 of 1,419
You will lose bass as you close up ports but uppers get clearer on average depending on the songs. Just gotta play with it and find your own preference. Pretty fun stuff to mess with. Love it. I feel like I'm losing the maximum of the more forward sound I love once I go past even just a few ports closed up and it's worth sacrificing the bass. It's still fun to open it all up from time to time though and I would prefer that on some songs but it's just a hassle so I don't usually. I'm still getting better low bass slam than my open backs with just 2-4 smallest ports open so pretty acceptable. Upper mid bass seems best like that too. It loses some texture with all ports open and all closed up and seems to be the sweet spot like that but I need to listen more. Like I said just gotta play with it because your own system and preferences will effect it too, could easily be different whats optimum for you.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #746 of 1,419
If interested in purchasing, are you supposed to email John to sort out details before placing an order? Because I emailed him about a potential purchase with a couple questions ~2 weeks ago and didn't get a response.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #747 of 1,419
If interested in purchasing, are you supposed to email John to sort out details before placing an order? Because I emailed him about a potential purchase with a couple questions ~2 weeks ago and didn't get a response.
Follow up with him again. Sometimes it can get lost in the shuffle

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #748 of 1,419
Yes should be a submission form on the website. He’s usually very responsive so maybe try again in case he has overlooked it. I emailed a couple of days ago about a potential 2nd pair and haven’t heard back either.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #749 of 1,419
Recently bought a set of XTC 1.5 Closed Backs with 32 ohm beryllium drivers tuned warm but detailed (using the lambskin pads). They needed about 100 hours burn in before they really started to shine for me. At the same time I bought the XTC 1.5s I also bought some ZMF Verite Closed back headphones. I was going to keep the pair that I liked the best and sell the other one. For half the price the XTCs sound pretty much as good as the ZMF VCs (IMHO), just a different more precise sound with the XTCs (that surprisingly sounds the best on my Fidelizer modified ibasso DX200 DAP with Amp 1 Mk II - balanced output). I actually thought that I was going to sell the ZMF VCs until I heard them through a vintage amp that I own (lots of power and bass slam and very musical), but will keep both now. Love listening to both and change from one to the other depending on what type of experience I'm after at the time (I mainly listen to pop and rock music) - the XTCs are obviously much easier to drive on my portable equipment being 32 ohm versus 300 ohm. Selling my Audeze LCD-X and Beyerdynamic AKT5p headphones as no longer listen to these after buying the XTCs and ZMFs.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #750 of 1,419
As others said just email him directly and check your spam/junk folder because often emails can end up there if they are not from a really big company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back