JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #107 of 1,112
Just depends on what kinda of sound you're into.

The beryllium are incredibly good.
I would probably lean towards the "warm/detailed"; "scalpel" sounds like it wouldn't have much bass.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 1,112
I have the XTC-Closed beryllium "nearly scapel" version and it has loads of bass. So much so that I covered the two bass ports on top of the cups halfway to reduce bass and increase detail. If you need more bass than that you could go with the warm and detailed version of the beryllium drivers or even the biowool.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #110 of 1,112
Do you not like much bass?
I do, but not muddy/overwhelming. I sent John an email to talk out the details, but I haven't heard back from him yet. after what @rlawry said about the nearly scalpel having a ton of bass, I might rethink my choice.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #111 of 1,112
I do, but not muddy/overwhelming. I sent John an email to talk out the details, but I haven't heard back from him yet. after what @rlawry said about the nearly scalpel having a ton of bass, I might rethink my choice.
I also have an XTC open but I don't know what tuning it has, I sent an email to John and he hasn't replied yet, strange because he is usually very fast

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #113 of 1,112
I also have an XTC open but I don't know what tuning it has, I sent an email to John and he hasn't replied yet, strange because he is usually very fast
I didn’t see email - what was question?

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #114 of 1,112
I power my XTC-Closed beryllium nearly scalpel phones with a Benchmark HPA4 solid-state amp well-known for its speed, detail, transparency, spaciousness, and immediacy. It also has the lowest THD/IMD/crossover distortion and highest signal-to-noise ratio ever measured by Stereophile and Audio Science Review, so this is to my sonic preferences. I am not a big fan of warm, slow, dark, bass-prominent sound, so I am extra sensitive to this type of sound and may not be the best arbiter of bass. Still, IMO the XTC-Closed beryllium nearly scalpel phones have no shortage of bass even with the HPA4. If you like your bass in heaping helpings, you can influence this through the use of a tube amp, warm-sounding DAC, cables, etc.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #115 of 1,112
I didn’t see email - what was question?
Hi John,
I read this post on head fi:

So JM can tune your set in three different ways. The Beryllium: "Scalpel", "near scalpel" and "warm yet detailed".

As for the Biowool there's two, "warm" and "warm and detailed".

I personally did warm and detailed for both of mine.

There was a tad too much bass on the biowool. I emailed him, sent them back on Monday and he tweaked the tuning and I had them back Friday. Pretty great experience.

how is my XTC Open tuned?
another question, what changes between XTC closed, closed 1.5 and closed 2? the stage? the sound?
Thank you
Roberto

Spam? 😃

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #116 of 1,112
Hi John,
I read this post on head fi:

So JM can tune your set in three different ways. The Beryllium: "Scalpel", "near scalpel" and "warm yet detailed".

As for the Biowool there's two, "warm" and "warm and detailed".

I personally did warm and detailed for both of mine.

There was a tad too much bass on the biowool. I emailed him, sent them back on Monday and he tweaked the tuning and I had them back Friday. Pretty great experience.

how is my XTC Open tuned?
another question, what changes between XTC closed, closed 1.5 and closed 2? the stage? the sound?
Thank you
Roberto

Spam? 😃
Roberto - thanks for the question about what your set is tuned like - All tuning types and driver type should be indicated on a card in the XTC box when shipped similar to this -
C6A76D19-154F-42D3-B7F9-CE40BD860E26.jpeg

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #117 of 1,112
Got my XTC ^1.5 Closed Beryllium (Nearly Scalpel Tuning). Bass is glorious as I mentioned to John. It stands equal with the Audeze CRBN (with heavy EQ bass shelf) as my favorite headphone for bass currently. Sounds like a open back headphone while being closed and the staging/imaging is precise. Just as with the opens I would take these over the Focal Utopia (having tried the older and newer model). Among the best when it comes to dynamic driver headphones. I didn't notice anything offensive standing out after listening to multiple songs from different genres like heavy metal, rap, edm, and orchestral. I'm going to be blunt, but if you don't try XTC you are seriously missing out because the price to performance is insane considering these trade blows or beat headphones that cost much more. They are also excellent for high level competitive gaming and very comfortable.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #118 of 1,112
Also you can call me degenerate, but try this song for bass you should clearly hear the mid and sub bass alongside the vocals. It's a sign your headphone has good bass.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #119 of 1,112
I am leaning on getting the beryllium because.......beryllium. is there any benefit to getting the biowool?

The bass on the Beryllium is already insane, so I'd say Biowool is for if you really wanna rattle your skull. I'd say if you are sensitive to highs and want a V-shaped tuning, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back