JL Audio making Home subs
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah these are too pricey. I think I will stick to my plan of getting one of the Sunfire subs, the super junior sounds incredible.

If you must have a super small sub, you must not care to reproduce the bottom octave.

You might as well do an IB setup. You GET the bottom octave, and it takes up NO space in your room.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you must have a super small sub, you must not care to reproduce the bottom octave.

You might as well do an IB setup. You GET the bottom octave, and it takes up NO space in your room.

It's not that i want a small sub it's that I listened to that Sunfire and side by side with all the overpriced Klipsch multi sub woofer systems, that super junior hands down reproduced the most realistic and clean bass and it was $400 less and 1/4 the size. It is amazing coming out of a 9 inch cubed box. The sub uses a more flat piston design which i guess is capable of moving much more air in such a small enclosure.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 50
Some small subs may sound good, but they're really lacking in the bottom end. No matter which brand. Nothing beats size for bottom end.

Klipsch isn't really high quality either. So not hard to beat them in quality or quantity. Really good subs aren't for sale at places like Best Buy, etc. You'd have to go to a real audio/video dedicated store to hear quality.

Might I also suggest a visit to some A/V forums and do a search in the subwoofer sections.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 50
I can demo velodyne and B&W subs and soon the JL's at a local shop but again too expensive. I ahve also been interested in the Dayton sub kits from Parts express Dayton T1003 10" Titanic Mk III

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #20 of 50
and hey the place I heard the Sunfire at is a real audio store they carry lots of Bose stuff
580smile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

I can demo velodyne and B&W subs and soon the JL's at a local shop but again too expensive. I ahve also been interested in the Dayton sub kits from Parts express Dayton T1003 10" Titanic Mk III

They dayton's pretty good, but it's not as good as SVS' 10" sub from what I've read (extensively).

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 50
What do you think about using a car sub and making a diy home sub? Bazooka RXT114 I know these things absolutely throw down in a car with very little power. Using this Bash Amp. I may end up going that route.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

What do you think about using a car sub and making a diy home sub? Bazooka RXT114 I know these things absolutely throw down in a car with very little power. Using this Bash Amp. I may end up going that route.

I once asked a similar question back in 1999. I quickly learned it was a bad idea.

Bazooka has no bottom octave in a car. In home, you'd lose the 2 lowest octaves. Which would be terrible.

There are a few subs that will work for both, such as Soundsplinter.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

I once asked a similar question back in 1999. I quickly learned it was a bad idea.

Bazooka has no bottom octave in a car. In home, you'd lose the 2 lowest octaves. Which would be terrible.

There are a few subs that will work for both, such as Soundsplinter.

I don't think I am understanding this bottom octave please explain.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #28 of 50
I had a JL 10" w6v2 in a JL enclosure (ProWedge) that I had tried out at home just to see how it sounds in my living room setup. Let's just say my Definitive sub sounded much nicer. Then again, the JL requires a nice amount of power to really sing nicely. I'm interested to hear how the JL home subs are, as I'm a big fan of their mobile audio line. They're very versatile in the sense that they can be used for audiophile purposes as well as those looking for high SPL levels. The home subwoofer is very competitive and I wish JL good luck. Though, IMHO, SVS offers an amazing line as well as HSU Research.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

~20-40hz -bottom range of human hearing -considered sub-bass
40-80hz -next highest octave- bass
80-120hz -mid bass
120-240 -upper bass

Using a bazooka you'd miss 20-80hz.

Why is that even though its freq response is 15 - 3000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back