Jim Croce "Time in a bottle"
Dec 31, 2005 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Any Jim Croce fans here? I just picked up the "Time in a bottle" collection and I am very impressed with the music...nice rhythm, melody and depth to the lyrics.

What genre does this classify under? Country? Folk?

I heard his music for the first time at a karaoke bar
tongue.gif
I dont usually like the music they play at Karaoke bars but I found these tunes very interesting...

I think I have a new favorite CD!!
basshead.gif

I cant believe I havent heard his mucis before!!

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, it's not country, cause I like it!
tongue.gif

For those who grew up during the time, his introduction and initial fame was through "novelty" pop, with "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" and "You don't mess around with Jim". Later, his more melancholic ballads gained him more respect, and of course his tragic death put a lasting spotlight on his music.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 7
I am lucky enough to have a couple of Jim Croce LPs from my parents collection:

Dont mess around with Jim
&
I got a name

Both awesome albums...he definately was a genious. He is truly amongst the greatest songwriters to grace this earth.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 7
I had all three of his records (the ones that came out while he was alive) as a little kid before he died. Now there have been endless compilations. I still enjoy the 50th anniversary 2-CD collection.

His wife runs a restaurant in San Diego.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 7
I've got nearly everything he ever did and a lot of the stuff that has trickled out posthumously over the years. There are a million and one compilations, and "Time in a Bottle" is as good as most of them. The one I'm referring to is called: "The Definite Collection: Time in a Bottle" which is a 2 disc compilation that does a nice job covering all of his mainstream stuff.

The real jewel, but a rare one at that, is "24 Karat Gold In a Bottle" which is a Steve Hoffman remastered DCC gold disc. I finally got my hands on a copy recently, and it is a sonic masterpiece! It should be, it cost me $67... twice as much as I had ever spent on any single CD ever before. The follow up to this disc, which is still widely available, is "Words and Music" (also an DCC gold disc remastered by Steve Hoffman). You can normally find W&M on Amazon.com for $15 or less. The song selection isn't quite as good as Gold in a Bottle, but it's not bad at all and sonically excellent.

For other recommendations, I'd suggest: Jim Croce "Home Recordings: Americana" and Jim and Ingrid Croce "Croce". Neither is a "must" but both help to flush out the man's character. If you really like "Time in a Bottle" they might be worth a try, but they really are not essential in an way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back