Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
May 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #226 of 246
Had a chance to listen to 2.5.0. First words that come to mind are ultra stable, solid imaging, excellent control eg much less "sizzle" in the treble compared against 2.4.12 yet somehow even better detail and separation. Absolutely fantastic, well worth the effort IMO.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #227 of 246
Having finally updated to a Sandy Bridge platform and a dedicated Windows 8 installation, I've been using 2.5.0 for two weeks now.

I have to admit that while it sounds different from previous versions, it has, yet again, brought a new layer of realism, detail and holographic rendition of music. Simply amazing.

I've just tested the new 2.6.0 and while it is at least as good as 2.5.0 -I haven't has that much of a chance to listen to it yet obviously- I am wondering why it doesn't allow me to go down to the lowest latency setting. I used 2.4.9 and 2.5.0 with a 3 ms latency setting, but on this one anything at 5ms or below makes the sound crackle and basically not listenable. It works great with a slightly higher latency though, but I'm curious about what changed to make it that way compared to 2.5.0?

Edit: Interestingly, I can use 3 ms latency on timer mode with no issues and it sounds great (as good as event mode, possibly better as it seems to work better with my converter since 2.5.0). Actually, I can even go down to 0 ms in timer time, and it's just shown me the most realistic and "true to life" music I've gotten, period (including analog sources). How that's even possible is beyond me -can JEP technically have the digital signal go straight from the RAM and processor to output in realtime? This being said, I would highly encourage people to try it, going from 1 ms to 0 actually has a much larger impact than going from like 10 to 3 or 50 to 10 (yes, I know half of you think it is BS, which is why I encourage you to try it and give feedback).

So yeah, with no latency, 2.6.0 sounds out of this world, basically (again, on a separate fresh dedicated Win 8 x64 partition with nothing running, and no network access; I doubt you could do 0 ms while browsing the web or running multiple apps).

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #228 of 246
If you set the latency to 0 on JEP it actually = 10.

The lowest setting on JEP is 1 (1 = 2 = 3). So if you pick 3 from the drop down menu you're at the lowest setting. Sorry to burst your bubble!

I agree that 2.6.0 is marvellous. I also can't go to the lowest setting in Event mode, whereas with the previous version I could. No matter though, because I've always preferred Timer mode throughout all the JEP versions, and 2.6.0 is no different. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #229 of 246
Actually, I believe you can enter a number manually for latency. Version 2.6.0 starts out at 64 ms, which isn't even in the drop menu. I tried a number of possibilities and eventually settled on 0 ms (if I type a "1", it automatically fills in a 10, but is still a 1 when I remove the 0 and hit enter) because it gives the best quality.

I'm pretty sure 0 is actually that, since it is the only setting (in timer mode) that gives me occasional drop outs in sound (like small pops and an occasional second-long drop-out before resuming perfectly, unlike event mode, that will just stay garbled if it doesn't work the first second), just like it couldn't read from the RAM fast enough to do real-time without a few errors. Setting a 1 ms latency -or anything else for that matter- removes that problem altogether. But I agree it sounds dubious, although I'm pretty sure it's really doing 0 ms.

Timer mode really does sound better -and works better- than event mode though; I hadn't tried it before as I assumed event mode was the better option. I think I'll stick with timer mode from now on; if only because it allows much lower latencies.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #231 of 246
2.6.1 is sounding great, as usually my antivirus gives me issues but I peace that out when I play music along with the network cable.  This version reminds me more of 2.5.0 but still definitely more refined and improved overall.  As you say, one step closer to perfection!

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #232 of 246
Very nice indeed! 2.6 was a bit sharper and detailed than 2.5, and 2.6.1 seems to go back to a slightly mellower sound, with ever more detail, realistic texture and overall focus and control.

Anyway, still excellent work!

What do you mean by "audio buffer precision control reaches nanosecond level" in coming 2.7.0 though? That it will be possible to select latencies in nanoseconds, or that you just get better audio buffer control in the RAM or something?

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #234 of 246
Quote:
Very nice indeed! 2.6 was a bit sharper and detailed than 2.5, and 2.6.1 seems to go back to a slightly mellower sound, with ever more detail, realistic texture and overall focus and control.

Anyway, still excellent work!

What do you mean by "audio buffer precision control reaches nanosecond level" in coming 2.7.0 though? That it will be possible to select latencies in nanoseconds, or that you just get better audio buffer control in the RAM or something?

Everything is under control. You just have to focus on hardware.
With a faster CPU, faster memory.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #235 of 246
Quote:

Everything is under control. You just have to focus on hardware.
With a faster CPU, faster memory.

Fascinating really. So audio buffer will be 10-1000 times lower than on previous versions then? Will requirements still be a Sandy bridge or higher CPU and 8 Gb dual channel RAM or higher?

Just out of curiosity, do you have an estimate for when 2.7.0 would be ready? Now I just want to try out as soon as possible lol.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #236 of 246
Quote:
Fascinating really. So audio buffer will be 10-1000 times lower than on previous versions then? Will requirements still be a Sandy bridge or higher CPU and 8 Gb dual channel RAM or higher?

Just out of curiosity, do you have an estimate for when 2.7.0 would be ready? Now I just want to try out as soon as possible lol.

Not delay the smaller, but more precise control.
Delay does not directly affect the sound actually, the real reason is buffer efficiency, delay is closely related to a buffer structure.
Recently busy with TheONE debugging, about 2.7 released in August.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #240 of 246
Hi,

I have using last version valid for windows 7, JIE 2.4.8, but I know there is also the 2.4.9, that comes as donation-ware. I want to have it but I don't know if the paypal address thinkspace@hotmail.com is still valid, as I see that no further notice have been about this player after version 2.7.2, in 2013. Somebody knows if the development has stopped or how I can get that 2.4.9 version.

I'm using my 2.4.8 version with wavs files transformed into Ambiophonic sound by Amtra, Ambiophonic Transcoder. Gorgeous hearing!!! 

Thanks anticipated,

Rozzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back