Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
Jan 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #151 of 246
Ok got reclock working, it does make pkshan player smoother, but a little too smooth IMO, maybe fidelizer is messing wih reclock or something.

JPlay v5 running 2 sample KS extreme engine hibernte mode has huge soundstage, big dynamic shifts, big seperation and black background.

JEP 2.4.8 event mode wasapi with fidelizer has a subjectively smaller soundstage, more detail and overall cleaner transients. Dynamics are great, but maybe JPlay has exaggerated macrodynamics and a slightly weightier sound.

Personally I prefer JEP using the settings quoted and the eqiupment I am using, but maybe if JPlay get wasapi event mode working they could have something fantastic. I might try fidelizer with Jplay to see what that sounds like also...

EDIT: JPlay with fidelizer is fantastic, it keeps the soundstage and separation but i proves in detail and transient accuracy. JEP is just as detailed and precise but lacks the soundstaging of JPlay, still not bad all things including price considered. Overall victory goes to JPlay with Fidelizer.

Jplay is 100 dollars! :basshead: is it worth the money?

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #152 of 246
I do not recommend the use of Fidelizer, it does not work good with JEP. In the discussion group in China, a lot of system optimization for JEP, I will finish later into English. JEP is unique, and cannot be treated with traditional vision it, if you want to get ultimate sound quality.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #153 of 246
I do not recommend the use of Fidelizer, it does not work good with JEP. In the discussion group in China, a lot of system optimization for JEP, I will finish later into English. JEP is unique, and cannot be treated with traditional vision it, if you want to get ultimate sound quality.

This would be fantastic if you could do this, I like some of the features of Fidelizer but I can see that it might conflict with certain audio players. The latest version doesn't seem to influence audio related threads though.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #154 of 246
Yep I'll be damned Fidelizer is actually harmful for JEP 2.4.8  Maybe JEP is so optimised that settings Fidelizer changes are actually harmful, in many ways not least soundstage.  I guess that kind of throws off my comparison with JPlay.  Back to the drawing board.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #155 of 246
Quote:
Yep I'll be damned Fidelizer is actually harmful for JEP 2.4.8  Maybe JEP is so optimised that settings Fidelizer changes are actually harmful, in many ways not least soundstage.  I guess that kind of throws off my comparison with JPlay.  Back to the drawing board.

I downloaded Jplay 5 and compared against the latest 'free' JEP 2.4.4 (Win8).
Jplay mini playing WAVs is a definitive improvement with or without Fidelizer..
Is 2.4.8 such an improvement over the 2.4.4?
Too bad that Jep doesn't have some sort of a trial version to easily test it.

I fail to understand how could Fidelizer degrade the sound of Jep but strange things happens:)

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #156 of 246
Version 2.4.5 onward are much better than the public 2.4.4 which was still showed a bit of glare sometimes, so I wouldn't be surprised that Jplay sound great compared to it. I need to try Jplay at some point too, although the fact it costs 100 bucks is just silly, but still.

I'm currently using 2.4.8 and again I wonder how it can bring such an improvement compared to anything else I've used. It just sounds so natural, almost analog on some tracks.

Quick question though. We know buffer time (latency) has a considerable influence on sound quality, especially when using any kind of USB interface (I use a Hiface Two with minimum latency setting, 1ms). On a previous version of JEP (2.4.4 probably), the last time I tried going below 50ms of latency (which is kind of the historic value I've used in most players where I had the choice; it's the minimum setting in foobar for example), down to 10ms, then 3ms, my computer froze and rebooted, so I went back to 50ms.

But now, on version 2.4.8, I tried it again. Played a whole album with 3ms latency, and not only does it work, it sounds better than higher settings (which is the trend we keep seeing with low buffer settings). Better resolution and detail retrieval, better staging and instrument separation, and slightly better bass texture. Has any one else tried lowering the latency?

And before someone starts flaming with some indisputable theory that latency cannot matter or something, or mentioning how another player is so much better, just remember that's not my question here. Question is have you tried lowering the latency in JEP and did it make a difference?

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #157 of 246
I generally prefer smaller buffer in any player, but in my system i prefer at least a small buffer to no buffer at all. JPlay is expensive, but it has some great features and quite a unique sound, worth trying for sure. It's not any more detailed than JEP though, just with the hibernate mode it seems to stage better and sounds "bigger" as in the musicians sound full scale, or as full scale as possible with headphones...

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #158 of 246
Just in case it seemed I was not confused enough, now I am noticing how precise the timing is with JEP, not so much in terms of detail, but in terms of how the a more general sense of timing.  Maybe the different soundstage perspective is at play here (more of a commanding and further back perspective), but I feel that JEP has a unique ability with timing, so if rhythm is a major priority to your listening, I can heartily recommend JEP.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #159 of 246
Quote:
Just in case it seemed I was not confused enough, now I am noticing how precise the timing is with JEP, not so much in terms of detail, but in terms of how the a more general sense of timing.  Maybe the different soundstage perspective is at play here (more of a commanding and further back perspective), but I feel that JEP has a unique ability with timing, so if rhythm is a major priority to your listening, I can heartily recommend JEP.

I assume this is still in comparison to JPLAY v5?

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #160 of 246
Yes there is a very different soundstage presentation, JPLay soundstage is forward, JEP is seated further back.  I think JEP is overall equal to JPlay just different, and has it's own strengths, and the coherency of tempo is one of these IMO.  Which you prefer depends on personal preferences.  Also to get the best out of JPlay you need to suspend windows in "hibernate mode", while JEP sounds great even while I'm running a browser window.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #162 of 246
Quote:
Jie Extreme Player 2.4.6 released

Where is the dropbox location for the files?

Also, do you know of conflicts with any other drivers/software that has been loaded? I know this may be a possibility on why I've been unable to get it working in my desktop (I bought a Dell, it's got a lot of crap loaded by default). But if you know of any conflicts, I can work on remedying that to see if it's still worth the effort to get this working on my end. Thx!

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #163 of 246
I highly recommend donating to get the best version of JEP. Now I have had time to compare carefully I think I can safely say that it has the best timing and transient nuance of any player I have heard. It more than competes with JPlay IMO.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #164 of 246
JEP2.5 notice
1. JEPCore fully rewritten 100% Assembly language. (Fifth generation playback kernel)
2. based on the Core API, rather than Win32
3. so, is not compatible with Windows 7
4. require AVX, require 64bit
5. about 8-12 months development time

Only JEP devoted entirely to the sound quality.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #165 of 246
Well that gives me at least 8 months to upgrade my computer?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back