Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
Jan 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #121 of 246
I tried something today "Fidelizer"
http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer/

J-River and Jie Extreme sound same after my computer "fidelized" with this small free application.

Last night, I recorded on a different computer the spdif and play the same song with foobar, j-river mc18 and jie. I didn't see any differences except occasionnal bits not exactly at the same place (very near). This variation is probably caused by soundcard imprecision or something like that.
What I don't know it's why when I do file compare, bits are not the same. I make sure to synchronized the files ... any idea someone ?

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #122 of 246
Quote:
I tried something today "Fidelizer"
http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer/

J-River and Jie Extreme sound same after my computer "fidelized" with this small free application.

Last night, I recorded on a different computer the spdif and play the same song with foobar, j-river mc18 and jie. I didn't see any differences except occasionnal bits not exactly at the same place (very near). This variation is probably caused by soundcard imprecision or something like that.
What I don't know it's why when I do file compare, bits are not the same. I make sure to synchronized the files ... any idea someone ?

Yeah the new one is great, I'm a big fan, shame the damn thread got locked - I said to ignore the troll but nobody listens
frown.gif
  Very big soundstage improvement.

I can't quite say that it makes all players the same, but I haven't compared that far yet.  I'm kind of angry at JRMC at the moment as it keeps changing my bitstreaming settings, and I don't like Foobar, so JEP is the only player that is not on my banlist for now.

At least Fidelizer doesn't interfere with JEP, the core still runs with realtime priority and I get no dropouts.  So far I'm very happy.

I think the XXHighEnd author had some interesting technique to capture the audio stream, but I'm not sure how simple it is.  If the guys at AnandTech can capture the timing of data coming out of an SSD I'm sure it's possible to measure and graph the timing of data being sent to a USB DAC.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #123 of 246
WHat my friend have done today ... played a wav and compared the bit.
Neither foobar, jriver and Jie seem to be bit perfect.

The variation I saw in the bits myself keep me confused. I told him to try with audio diff maker and continue the tests.

What we tested this weekend using BUFFER FIFO interface ... player still matter and it's a pure non sense because the data are in the ram of the fifo and the stream is reconstructed completely with the fifo hardware.

If the players are not bit perfect (what we suspect) then ... it's perfectly normal to hear differences because the bits are not the same.

People think they are in bit perfect because they use ASIO, Wasapi, kernel streaming ... but there is no garanty you are bit perfect.

Anyone else have made this simple test (record the digital out and compare the bits to the original wave ?)

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #124 of 246
WHat my friend have done today ... played a wav and compared the bit.
Neither foobar, jriver and Jie seem to be bit perfect.

The variation I saw in the bits myself keep me confused. I told him to try with audio diff maker and continue the tests.

What we tested this weekend using BUFFER FIFO interface ... player still matter and it's a pure non sense because the data are in the ram of the fifo and the stream is reconstructed completely with the fifo hardware.

If the players are not bit perfect (what we suspect) then ... it's perfectly normal to hear differences because the bits are not the same.

People think they are in bit perfect because they use ASIO, Wasapi, kernel streaming ... but there is no garanty you are bit perfect.

Anyone else have made this simple test (record the digital out and compare the bits to the original wave ?)

That's pretty interesting, it's hard to say why there is no bitperfect though, if native bitstream and no volume control is used, there must be some other factor?

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #126 of 246
WASAPI event compatibility generally can be iffy, but WASAPI timer mode should be beter.  Might be worth checking if your sound card or DAC drivers support WASAPI?  Not saying I know what is the problem for sure but just throwing out a couple of ideas - I had problems before but that was because of driver support for WASAPI.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #129 of 246
Quote:
Sometimes it's a little slow to start.

When I load up a WAV file, then press PLAY, it tries to play but immediately goes to STOPPED. I checked the file properties and it's in PCM format (with .WAV extension) but haven't gone beyond that in troubleshooting. I've been used foobar and Musicbee all this time to play my FLAC files and just ripped a CD into WAV to try this out with no luck.

If this helps, I have a Core i7-2600, 2nd gen processor so I'm using the AWX version of JEP2.4.4. Output is via USB to a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, MK I, non-Async version. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #132 of 246
No love. Time to about give up on it. It ain't working and sometimes the pursuit of higher quality fidelity isn't really worth it. Not when other software out there is much more well-written and user-friendly.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #133 of 246
Quote:
No love. Time to about give up on it. It ain't working and sometimes the pursuit of higher quality fidelity isn't really worth it. Not when other software out there is much more well-written and user-friendly.

Sorry it hasn't worked for you.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #134 of 246
other software out there is much more well-written and user-friendly

Some of that "other software" also sounds better, too, as others on this board have noted. Try the pkshan Foobar variant or the Daum PotPlayer/ReClock combo.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #135 of 246
other software out there is much more well-written and user-friendly

Some of that "other software" also sounds better, too, as others on this board have noted. Try the pkshan Foobar variant or the Daum PotPlayer/ReClock combo.

Big caveat there is IF you can get ReClock to work, not much support for ReClock as the project was abandoned years ago. Without reclock you are stuck using the windows mixer or whatever it is called these days, which can sound a little strident to my ears. BTW any hints for getting ReClock to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back