JH7 opinion
May 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ovo

New Head-Fier
Ok, Ive had the jH7's for over a year now and am finally getting round to giving back to the community. Ive been into music for about 20 years, just in my own studio in various projects so my needs in sound range from above average to way above. So when I decided to find out what a $800 pair of IEM's would sound like my expectations were pretty high, not studio mixing high but band practice and everyday listening with my phone high.

I don't speak the audiophile lingo so I will just have to try and describes things as best I can!

Right from the beginning I was disappointed with the sound, the mid range was just so harsh and messy with a ringing to them, so much so I sent them back and JH quickly replaced the drivers which improved things a bit. This however isn't saying much as they were useless for anything before and now they still show a lot of mid range over tones, It reminds me of what happens to sound when you turn it up loud on a cheap PA, the sound thickens from the over tones produced and it quickly sounds like a dense mess if there is to much going on. So heavily compressed mixes like radiohead can be really hard on the ear.

This might be par for the course with IEM's but the JH7's have almost no sound stage to speak of, where only a sense of left and right being conveyed really, but  close and far away isnt really at all,  their bass is adequate but I put this down to the perfect air tight custom molds as much as the JH7's. The sound is so tiring to listen to they are useless for rehearsal at loud volumes that can go on for a few hours. My electric guitar sounds harsh and exposed making me want to put a reverb on it to get it 'out of my ear', I could go on with some elaborate descriptions of where I think the problem frequencies are but I think you get the point

So to everyone thinking about getting these?

If I could go back in time I would have saved my money and bought some good earbuds and got that putty that sets in a few hours with air and heat and tried to make my own as Ive seen a few ppl doing on the net by shoving the putty in their ears followed by the earbud on top and then carving the canal out later, I wouldn't personally put putty in my ears so Id get the Molds done professionally and then use them to make negatives with plaster and then use the putty in that. That way you can easily make another pair if needed, At well under $100 to do I couldn't see them sounding any worse as Ive heard some awesome earbuds in my time, of course they are uncomfortable and lack bass without a good seal but both of these would be solved by putting them in the custom  putty Molds. The only way I could see this not working is if the sound bouncing of the ear canal of the mold created some bounce phasing in their response (which makes me wonder if this is what is happening to the JH7's) as the molds are a rock hard smooth plastic (imagine how bad the acoustics in a room would be made for this material?) Id actually like to hear from some ppl who have tried it, especially those familiar with the JH7's?

So was I expecting to much from the JH7's?

I don't think so, when I think about how the sennheiser cx300's for $50 sounded when u held them in with your fingers I was expecting a night and day improvement in detail but honestly, put the cx 300's in a custom mold and I think Id probably prefer them to the JH7s. Sure they lack detail and have a slightly plastic tone but they also lacked the mid range dogs breakfast of the JH's. I was never expecting them to be used for mixing as I use my HD280's for that but for me to not even want to use them for rehearsal is just pathetic for a $800 pair of monitors.

Im sure there are more musical IEM's out there but at the kind of money companies are charging I doubt I will try again, Now where are those DIY IEM's I saw.

May 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 31
currently I using a rme fireface uc sound card with a few mac computers, rode nt2a/beta 58 mics and monitor through a cambridge audio auzur 540r amp with little know but great sounding orpheus aurora speakers. a bit unconventional, but hey thats the kind of guy I am. not that it really has anything to do with the JH7's as the issue exists through all sources!

ahh, I see u have the Koss porta pro's, now they are great sounding headphones, really uncomfortable after and hour or so but I cant flaw their sound : )

May 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 31
I'll just say there is something wrong with this review.

FACTS:
  1. By virtually everyone (including me) that has reviewed the JH5 has concluded is is equal or better than any universal triple or quad drivers on the market today.
  2. Every person (it has been few) that compared JH5 to JH7 said JH7 was improved across the board.

The fact that the reviewer rates the JH7 with $20-$30 earbuds doesn't jive with the above.  So buyer beware.

Enough said.....

May 28, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

FACTS:
  1. By virtually everyone (including me) that has reviewed the JH5 has concluded is is equal or better than any universal triple or quad drivers on the market today.
  2. Every person (it has been few) that compared JH5 to JH7 said JH7 was improved across the board.

Totally off topic, but the JH5 at the current sale is so tempting. I just wish there mids were a little bit more forward, from everything I've read.

May 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 31
i cant comment on the JH5's as Ive never heard them!

I probably never will given how much of a complete disappointment the 7's are, maybe I got a dud pair but they were repaired and sent back so this seems doubtful.

and yes I did compare them to a $30 pair of IEM's, thats how disappointing they are! If a pair of monitors frequency response is so obviously colored, actually its two colors colliding to my ears then they are useless, I find it interesting how quick posters are to dismiss my review especially when we are talking about something not really that subjective eg. What the JH7's do to music is so obviously wrong and its not a case of the color they add would be tasteful to one set of ears and not another, the problem is simply beyond this.

but anyway, go spend your $800, maybe how much they cost will make them sound good to your ears :)

May 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
i cant comment on the JH5's as Ive never heard them!

I probably never will given how much of a complete disappointment the 7's are, maybe I got a dud pair but they were repaired and sent back so this seems doubtful.

and yes I did compare them to a $30 pair of IEM's, thats how disappointing they are! If a pair of monitors frequency response is so obviously colored, actually its two colors colliding to my ears then they are useless, I find it interesting how quick posters are to dismiss my review especially when we are talking about something not really that subjective eg. What the JH7's do to music is so obviously wrong and its not a case of the color they add would be tasteful to one set of ears and not another, the problem is simply beyond this.

but anyway, go spend your $800, maybe how much they cost will make them sound good to your ears :)

Seems like you are trolling or have some kind of agenda. Reviews like yours are so rare that I don't trust them. There are hundreds of JH reviews that completely contradict yours so It is something on your end, you or your equipment. 

May 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
Seems like you are trolling or have some kind of agenda. Reviews like yours are so rare that I don't trust them. There are hundreds of JH reviews that completely contradict yours so It is something on your end, you or your equipment. 

Don't be that guy...

There are hundreds of thousands of Beats Audio reviews saying they are amazing.  I have a pair and I'm willing to sell them to you for 1000 dollars, that's a discount.  You gonna take?  

May 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Don't be that guy...

There are hundreds of thousands of Beats Audio reviews saying they are amazing.  I have a pair and I'm willing to sell them to you for 1000 dollars, that's a discount.  You gonna take?  

Beats audio is not JH audio. You have to look at who is doing the review and their level of knowledge and integrity. I don't listen to any fool and take their word, that is for people like you who bought a Beats product. Got to do you homework proper mate.

May 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
Beats audio is not JH audio. You have to look at who is doing the review and their level of knowledge and integrity. I don't listen to any fool and take their word, that is for people like you who bought a Beats product. Got to do you homework proper mate.

First off, you make me laugh.  You imply that I purchased a Beats product when it was used as part of sarcastic joke, further refuting your point and augmenting the reality that you are an idiot.  Second of all, just because someone isn't necessarily a quote unquote audiophile doesn't necessarily mean that they have an agenda nor does it mean they are a fool.  Sure, their claims are outrageous but there is always a bad apple in terms of products or reviews or the very fact that that certain product clashes with the interests of the buyer.  Look at Spekkio's review, he heard something utterly different from others.  Are you now going to libel him also?  I am not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion, but don't needlessly bash people.  

Now back off, punk.  Because your ego's writing checks that your body can't cash.

May 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

First off, you make me laugh.  You imply that I purchased a Beats product when it was used as part of sarcastic joke, further refuting your point and augmenting the reality that you are an idiot.  Second of all, just because someone isn't necessarily a quote unquote audiophile doesn't necessarily mean that they have an agenda nor does it mean they are a fool.  Sure, their claims are outrageous but there is always a bad apple in terms of products or reviews or the very fact that that certain product clashes with the interests of the buyer.  Look at Spekkio's review, he heard something utterly different from others.  Are you now going to libel him also?  I am not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion, but don't needlessly bash people.  

Now back off, punk.  Because your ego's writing checks that your body can't cash.

As soon as you resort to name calling you have lost and are lost. Goodbye.

May 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
As soon as you resort to name calling you have lost and are lost. Goodbye.

As soon as one cannot form a proper rebuttal to a point, you realize that they have no wit.  It's not name calling if I'm saying the proper characteristic to describe you.  Just like in Spekkio's review, the bad impressions are almost ALWAYS overrun by the majority. 

Like I love to say, life is run by a tyranny of the majority.

May 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 31
I'll just say there is something wrong with this review.

FACTS:
  • By virtually everyone (including me) that has reviewed the JH5 has concluded is is equal or better than any universal triple or quad drivers on the market today.
  • Every person (it has been few) that compared JH5 to JH7 said JH7 was improved across the board.

The fact that the reviewer rates the JH7 with $20-$30 earbuds doesn't jive with the above.  So buyer beware.

Enough said.....

I think it's fair to note that a given review doesn't match with the majority of reviews-of course, in this case, we don't
have too many reviews of the jh7.

I think Spyro makes good points, but these should be balanced against the age of the jh7 (about 4 years now, or thereabout). For the money, there are more recent customs which should offer better performance and higher value. Look at customs from Clear Tune Monitors, Heir Audio and 1964 Ears, for example. Heir Audio is also having a once of a kind sale on its flagship 8.A, something to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back