JH13 question - how much improvement does amp/custom cable give
May 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all due respect, you should have your hearing examined by a medical professional.

I got my first TWAgs before my JH16 Pros arrived, so I temporarily recabled my TF10s with them. The difference was not subtle and quite a noticeable improvement in all aspects of SQ. The JH13/16s benefit even more from them.

I do not claim to understand the science behind it, nor do I care all that much. What matters is what I'm actually hearing. My 2 cents.

x2. I can't tell you why the TWag cable replacement makes a difference, but it is not subtle. However, I think you need to train your ears for a while. People who only listen to Bose or earbuds often find better equipment not that much better because they are not sure what they are hearing. I have not gotten into the cable controversy, but to say anyone who hears a difference are just idiots is just like saying if you don't hear a difference you don't know anything either. Listen for yourself and make your own opinion. If there are head-fiers whose opinion you respect, you can also listen to them, but that takes time to get to know them.

May 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have. No difference. Its why I returned it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also heard the TWAG on my JH13. No difference. Looks interesting though.

How long were the cables burned in for? Craig says it takes about 300 hours for the TWag to reach its potential. did you happen to do an a/b test at all?

cheers

May 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 41
Until we see proper double ABX blind test results showing that there is a difference, I know I won't be convinced. A good friend of mine who owns both the 13 and the 16, and is a professional offered whiplashaudio to participate in the tests, they refused. You can draw your own conclusions from this.

May 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #21 of 41
How can you ABX two headphone cables that are completely different in feel, and size (owning both the original and the TWag) there is no way to be blinded, so your are jsut setting up a straw man, and the comment You can draw your own conclusions" is just they way people argue when they have no valid argument other than saying it can't be true because I say it can't be true. WHY does it irk you SO much that people do hear a difference. I have been an audiophile for over thirty years and much crap does come down the pike that claims to improve sound, but this cable is CERTAINLY not in that category.

May 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 41
My Story: I was using the UE custom cable on my Fischer remolded TF10's and was very, very happy. Within about 5 weeks the cable started developing a short. Not wanting to buy another poorly made (but great sounding) cable I bought the Westone cable. So far I hate it...no impact in the bottom end and just not enjoyable anymore. I measured the impedance on all 3 cables (stock TF10 included) and there are differences. Next up is a JH custom cable.
BTW, music out of my diymod ipod via an Mseed Spirit amp is much more enjoyable than straight out of my iphone 3GS playing the same files.
Steve

May 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you ABX two headphone cables that are completely different in feel, and size (owning both the original and the TWag) there is no way to be blinded, so your are jsut setting up a straw man, and the comment You can draw your own conclusions" is just they way people argue when they have no valid argument other than saying it can't be true because I say it can't be true. WHY does it irk you SO much that people do hear a difference. I have been an audiophile for over thirty years and much crap does come down the pike that claims to improve sound, but this cable is CERTAINLY not in that category.

To answer your first question:

You put both in identical "envelope container", so that they are indistinguishable. There are plenty of articles online that outline the methodology of a double blind abx test on cables in plenty of detail - in short, not only is it possible, it's relatively easy too.

To answer your second question:

Actually, it does not "irk" me one little bit. That is why, you'll notice, in my post I said "I wont be convinced", and also wrote "You can draw your own conclusions". As in, your mileage may vary. I was just stating my personal opinion. It's what people write when there's subjectivity involved. Notice how I don't say "it can't be true".

I have absolutely no qualm with people hearing a difference, if you say you can, and expensive custom cables give you a higher sound quality, then great!!! I'm genuinely happy for you.

What I am not happy about is buying based on limited evidence. When I make a purchasing decision, I want to make sure I'll be able to hear the difference. The only way that I can do that without auditioning (with a double blind abx of course) is if there is enough scientific evidence. Currently, there is only some limited evidence from a small sample of users who have not even checked properly for placebo. I want my decision to be based on facts. Your "CERTAINLY" doesn't cut it for me.

There's no need for me to run around disproving any benefits of custom cables. However, if cable manufacturers want my money, they better do a better job of proving that there is one.

May 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Capitalism is a beautiful thing.

While I'm here, anyone know if the Enyo Cable from Null turns green? I want to buy it for asthetics and nothing more.

I'm not sure, but I think they are made from silver. And silver doesnt go green.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long were the cables burned in for? Craig says it takes about 300 hours for the TWag to reach its potential. did you happen to do an a/b test at all?

cheers

Burned in for many hours. Burn-in on cable is a sham. If his cables truly 'opened up' around 300hrs, he would burn in all his cables for that time before selling them to ensure his customers got the best product. And that no one had any doubts about whether or not there is a difference. Since its not done, its just another time delay used to get you past the "Man I don't hear a difference I regret this" to a couple of weeks later when its either past the return deadline or you yourself are past the regret phase and are in the "meh, might as well keep it, money is spent".

In fact, I'll go a step further in explaining myself. There was a difference between the cables. I found the bass worse on the TWag and prefered the sound on the stock cable.

May 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #27 of 41
+2 on your point on cable "burn-in".
At least with driver burn in you have the basis for such a theory, if a little sketchy. Cable "burn-in" just makes anyone who understands high school physics shake his head in confusion.

May 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all due respect, you should have your hearing examined by a medical professional.

I got my first TWAgs before my JH16 Pros arrived, so I temporarily recabled my TF10s with them. The difference was not subtle and quite a noticeable improvement in all aspects of SQ. The JH13/16s benefit even more from them.

I do not claim to understand the science behind it, nor do I care all that much. What matters is what I'm actually hearing. My 2 cents.

With all due respect, the physics involved here are well known, and the tiny differences in impedance between different cables of such short lengths do not affect the audible range. Unless you are claiming to hear 100kHz+.

May 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 41
This is all very interesting, but unfortunately it may be pointless.

If I hear a difference with a new cable and you do not hear a difference, can we both be “right”?? Or am I “wrong” to hear a difference with a new cable simply because I can’t measure a difference that I think would explain the difference in sonic profile I believe I am experiencing?

I do seem to recall that until Galileo turned his telescope towards observation of the movements of the planets and stars the Earth was in fact the center of the universe. And after being brought before The Inquisition for stating that the Earth revolved around the Sun, he was forced to recant and retire.

One thing I have learned in life is that statements of absolutes are ALWAYS WRONG <G>!!

So I will simply go back to HAPPILY listening to my Lossless files, which many people will find to be sonically no different from files ripped at 320kbps, through my TWag-rewired JH-13 Pros, which some people will possibly find to be sonically indistinguishable from Bose Triports.

May 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #30 of 41
Say what you want to about absolutes...but buddy...the physics isn't much more complex than basic arithmetic. If you can add up a grocery list, then you should be able to take in the physics.

Just remember, we're all human, and as such have senses that can easily be fooled. Might I recommend you read up on suggestion as well as its close friend placebo. Then put the two together and you will start to understand psychoacoustics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back