JH13 question - how much improvement does amp/custom cable give
May 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
I only have enough for JH13 or 16 out of my ipod touch 3G. So no $$ for amp, LOD, or custom cable for it.

So % wise, how much % better is having a portable amp / LOD to it?

And how much % better is having an alternate cable for it?

May 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 41
You're opening a can of worms, but ah well. The objective answer, the answer that any physicist or electrical engineer will give you, is that custom cables are a scam. They do nothing to improve the sound, so you should just stick with stock cables. Of course, pretty soon someone will bring up their own personal impressions to the contrary. I'll tell you this is psychoacoustics (read: subjective) but people can get touchy about this issue.

Getting a portable amp will make a difference - more than a cable would anyway. Here is a review of a purportedly good portable amp.

Edit: The truth about cables.
The above is a worthwile read, especially if it saves you hundreds of dollars on boutique cables.

May 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're opening a can of worms, but ah well. The objective answer, the answer that any physicist or electrical engineer will give you, is that custom cables are a scam. They do nothing to improve the sound, so you should just stick with stock cables. Of course, pretty soon someone will bring up their own personal impressions to the contrary. I'll tell you this is psychoacoustics (read: subjective) but people can get touchy about this issue.

Getting a portable amp will make a difference - more than a cable would anyway. Here is a review of a purportedly good portable amp.

Edit: The truth about cables.
The above is a worthwile read, especially if it saves you hundreds of dollars on boutique cables.

What?!????!!!! Have you heard the TWag replacement cable for custom earphones?

May 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 41
I don't think you really need AMPs, dock cable with JH13Pro to sound there best. They sound amazing out of iPhone/iPod HP jack and they improve further with AMPs help but there's still no match for very highend universal IEMs with AMPs help to sound same as JH13Pro out of iPod/iPhone HP jack.

May 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why would I need to? One of the main purposes of a solid education is to build up a framework of knowledge, thereby conferring the ability to infer and extrapolate facts from a given situation.

For instance, I don't have to personally throw a brick off the empire state building to know that it will fall and not fly. My education gives me the knowledge to make a logical inference. Likewise with cables. I don't have to personally hear a boutique cable to know that it is a scam.

May 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 41
popcorn.gif

May 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 41
^ Ha, it's all fun and games until a new member is conned out of his money.
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you really need AMPs, dock cable with JH13Pro to sound there best. They sound amazing out of iPhone/iPod HP jack and they improve further with AMPs help but there's still no match for very highend universal IEMs with AMPs help to sound same as JH13Pro out of iPod/iPhone HP jack.

so a high end universal like IE8 or UM3X, with an amp and LOD will sound as good as JH13/16 out of headphone out of itouch?

May 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would I need to? One of the main purposes of a solid education is to build up a framework of knowledge, thereby conferring the ability to infer and extrapolate facts from a given situation.

For instance, I don't have to personally throw a brick off the empire state building to know that it will fall and not fly. My education gives me the knowledge to make a logical inference. Likewise with cables. I don't have to personally hear a boutique cable to know that it is a scam.

Could not agree more. I wont get involved in a controversy about cables, but I think newer headfiers need to know not everybody agrees with those "OMG, very transparent, more micro detail" comments.
I you choose to expend your money in snake oil, at least you are forewarned.
*leaves before he gets mobbed*.......

May 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 41
The JH-13's do sound very good out of the iPhone/iPod classic, but they improve a load by using an amp. I dont want to try to quantify the number with a percentage better though. But the bass gets deeper and more impactful, and they open up quite a bit as well. Also once you have an amp, you can use a better source. Without a seperate amp i would not be able to use mine with my dac19 at home.

On the issue of cables, i bought the TWag because i needed it to go balanced with the protector, you can't do that with the stock cable, and also because i think it looks awesome
wink.gif
i have never compared it to the stock cable, because i never listened to the stock cable, my TWag got to my house before the jh-13's so there was no reason to.

May 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so a high end universal like IE8 or UM3X, with an amp and LOD will sound as good as JH13/16 out of headphone out of itouch?

Noway. Even if you use highend universals from desktop dac and amp, Jh13 from iphone beats them quite easily.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 41
An amp takes the already great sound of the JH13s and improves on it. No different that an separate amp improves the sound of Grado RS-1s. Mind you that all amps are not created equal.

The cable is another matter, while I own and love my twag replacement cable it is the icing on the cake, Money should primarily be spent on an amp and IEM/headphones prior to a cable purchase.

May 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noway. Even if you use highend universals from desktop dac and amp, Jh13 from iphone beats them quite easily.

+1.. Money should go into the earphone, source, then amps and lastly cables. I've always wondered why people spend a few hundred dollars on cables, for earphones that cost... a few hundred dollars.

May 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have. No difference. Its why I returned it.

May 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have. No difference. Its why I returned it.

With all due respect, you should have your hearing examined by a medical professional.

I got my first TWAgs before my JH16 Pros arrived, so I temporarily recabled my TF10s with them. The difference was not subtle and quite a noticeable improvement in all aspects of SQ. The JH13/16s benefit even more from them.

I do not claim to understand the science behind it, nor do I care all that much. What matters is what I'm actually hearing. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back