JH13, HD800, or D7000+HF2?
Aug 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Was just curious about people's opinions on some stuff I was thinking about my current setup.

If you had a pico --> gilmore lite, would you rather have:
1. D7000 + HF2 (my current setup)
2. HD800
3. Get rid of Gilmore lite and pico and go D10 --> JH13 + D2000.

Just wanted to know what people would do in my situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 19
Unfortunately I don't quite have the money to power up a O2 or K1000. :\
I feel as though the hd800 can be driven adequately well out of the source/amp i have, whereas Ive heard too much about k1000s being nearly impossible to drive and I like the Hd800 more than the o2 from my experience.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Hmm, do you really think the jh13s make it so i dont ever need a full sized can?

Theres only 2 things keeping me from snatching the jh13 right away:
1. cant resell it
2. heard custom iems dont last any longer than 4-5 years

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 19
The K-1000 is not impossible to drive - it's pretty easily driven. It was designed to run off a speaker amp. The beauty there is that you can use delicious DHT amps to run it. 300B and 2A3 tubes breathe magic into it. I especially love the 2A3. The catch is that you usually can't use those amps for other headphones. However, they lend themselves nicely to efficient singledrivers, horns or AMTs if you can find them.

You can drive a HD-800 nicely with the Gilmore Lite, though. I like the HD-800 on tubes, but the Gilmore Lite has plenty of power and is a very nice, clean-sounding amp.

You'll enjoy the HF-2. It's a strong performer, but the HD-800 gets a lot more head time in my rig. Almost all of the head time - I love those headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wasn't crazy about the Denons, but I want to give them a longer listen at the next meet. I don't think they're a good fit for my tastes, but a lot of people love them and I want to give them another chance.

I haven't heard the JH13. IEMs haven't done much for me, so I passed them over at CanJam. But the JH13 has gotten so many strong reviews I want to try them at RMAF. Like you, I worry about eventual degradation of the fit, that they can't be repaired (I'm not sure about that) and being able to resell them. Also, 95% of my listening is at home, so full-sized open headphones, tubes and speakers fit my listening habits well.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico -> JH-13 + HF2

If it's just the Pico DAC, then he will need the Gilmore Lite.

I would take boomana's advice. Even though I have not heard the JH-13, I feel very temped to buy these at some point.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, do you really think the jh13s make it so i dont ever need a full sized can?

Theres only 2 things keeping me from snatching the jh13 right away:
1. cant resell it
2. heard custom iems dont last any longer than 4-5 years

1. You won't want to
2. Urban Myth

Get the JH-13 Pros

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Oh man this is tempting...

I am trying to keep my finances down as much as possible and not spend any more than i have already since I truly feel I have spent too much on audio recently (also bought a pair of speakers).

Maybe Pico Dac/amp -> JH13 + HF2 .. don't know if that will break my bank or not. I can get the hd800 at the same price as the JH13 though so would that be more worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back