JH Audio - Sharona - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #211 of 534
Can you please email me at AJD@JHAudio.com so I can take care of this for you! Thanks and apologies for the lack of customer service thus far.
Well still haven't got anything sorted regarding getting a cable, as requested I emailed you on 31.07.22, and have not had a reply, and to be honest can't be bothered anymore, have been trying with jh audio now for over 3 months and thd aftersales is just abysmal
Just hope anyone getting their new iem's don't have any problems in the future cause judging by the way I have been treated, they won't get the help
I'll certainly not be buying from them again

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #212 of 534
Well still haven't got anything sorted regarding getting a cable, as requested I emailed you on 31.07.22, and have not had a reply, and to be honest can't be bothered anymore, have been trying with jh audio now for over 3 months and thd aftersales is just abysmal
Just hope anyone getting their new iem's don't have any problems in the future cause judging by the way I have been treated, they won't get the help

Can you please share some additional proof to support what you've supposedly gone through?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #213 of 534

I just messaged you privately to sort this out! Your original email ended up in my junk folder so let's stay in touch via head-fi!

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #215 of 534
I take back what I said

A massive thankyou to A.J for sorting out my problem and getting me a new cable in the post
Cannot wait to start using my Laylas again
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #216 of 534
Still loving these, the perfect upgrade from Layla and Roxanne. I do have one thing to say about the T2 cable though. While I love having a thinner, lighter weight cable again and honestly don't miss the bass attenuation much at all. The way the part that connects to the IEM doesn't lock in one position but instead rotates 360 degrees can be rather annoying at times lol.

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #217 of 534
Still loving these, the perfect upgrade from Layla and Roxanne. I do have one thing to say about the T2 cable though. While I love having a thinner, lighter weight cable again and honestly don't miss the bass attenuation much at all. The way the part that connects to the IEM doesn't lock in one position but instead rotates 360 degrees can be rather annoying at times lol.

I actually had an issue with my T2 connectors where one channel was dropping out depending on how the wire moved and the connection itself was very weak, risking damage to boot. I reached out to support on Monday and sent them out that morning, and having checked them out they're upgrading them to the 4-pin for me as it fits in the shell (apparently in my case the 7-pin might have been tough). Hopefully I'll have them back in hand some time next week.

Hopefully I'm just an isolated incident but I'm glad to be getting a much more stable connection (plus the attenuator) and a big credit to JH's excellent support thus far. I would say that the T2 cable is great if you're looking for something light weight as you mention, and I might have just been an isolated case.

Here's a picture, same as the current avatar. For reference, this is the hyperblack shell.

Sharona.png

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #218 of 534
Those look fantastic. Glad they can get the 4 pin on there for you and that they took care of it so fast. I’m happy I went with the 7 pin. I’ve had really good luck with the 7 on my Jolene. I think it’s the best connector available. I have the 4 pin on my Roxanne’s and it’s been equally as robust and error free. So I’m sure that will work great for you. And I have found that I really enjoy having the bass adjustment. Sharona sounded really bassy to me out of the box, I had to turn it down and I run it exactly where I run the pod on my Roxane … about 1 or 2 o’clock. It just sounds much more natural and true to the recording with it turned down… to me at least. I guess as I’ve gotten older that I’m just no fun anymore. 10 years ago I probably would have preferred it all the way up. As time has gone on My preference’s have moved more towards a “neutral” sound. For whatever that means. Neutral to me at least. The Jolene is the only jh I have that I like with the adjustment wide open. It’s just nice to have the option you know, you might really enjoy being able to fine tune that once you have the ability to. That hyperblack shell looks great though, good pick. 😊

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #219 of 534
I actually had an issue with my T2 connectors where one channel was dropping out depending on how the wire moved and the connection itself was very weak, risking damage to boot. I reached out to support on Monday and sent them out that morning, and having checked them out they're upgrading them to the 4-pin for me as it fits in the shell (apparently in my case the 7-pin might have been tough). Hopefully I'll have them back in hand some time next week.

Hopefully I'm just an isolated incident but I'm glad to be getting a much more stable connection (plus the attenuator) and a big credit to JH's excellent support thus far. I would say that the T2 cable is great if you're looking for something light weight as you mention, and I might have just been an isolated case.

Here's a picture, same as the current avatar. For reference, this is the hyperblack shell.
Oh wow hate to hear that but glad they're taking care of it for you. Hopefully I don't end up with the same issue.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #220 of 534
Those look fantastic. Glad they can get the 4 pin on there for you and that they took care of it so fast. I’m happy I went with the 7 pin. I’ve had really good luck with the 7 on my Jolene. I think it’s the best connector available. I have the 4 pin on my Roxanne’s and it’s been equally as robust and error free. So I’m sure that will work great for you. And I have found that I really enjoy having the bass adjustment. Sharona sounded really bassy to me out of the box, I had to turn it down and I run it exactly where I run the pod on my Roxane … about 1 or 2 o’clock. It just sounds much more natural and true to the recording with it turned down… to me at least. I guess as I’ve gotten older that I’m just no fun anymore. 10 years ago I probably would have preferred it all the way up. As time has gone on My preference’s have moved more towards a “neutral” sound. For whatever that means. Neutral to me at least. The Jolene is the only jh I have that I like with the adjustment wide open. It’s just nice to have the option you know, you might really enjoy being able to fine tune that once you have the ability to. That hyperblack shell looks great though, good pick. 😊
I have mine yesterday and is using T2 connectors, Same as you I find to bassy for me and wish I ask for 4 or 7 pin if had known of the bass (My Jolene has 7 pin and bass knob at 2 pm)) Now only have to use EQ to bring down the bass. With the bass lowered, I prefer Sharona than Jolene (Both are a very good IEM to me)

Attachments

• sharona__4.jpg
    sharona__4.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • sharona__5.jpg
    sharona__5.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #221 of 534
Wow those look great!! I’m happy you’re able to eq them to bring that bass down a bit. I agree they are a better earphone than the Jolene… overall. I love the Jolene too… and the Roxanne. Each one is just a different flavor. I consider myself lucky and grateful to be able to have the ability to choose. I love the clear shells you chose. It’s so cool being able to see the internals. And the caps look great too. You should put some pictures up of the underside of yours so we can see all the drivers and tech they’ve got in there. It’s been fun seeing the designs everyone goes for. Haven’t seen a cobalt yet I don’t think…

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #222 of 534
Wow those look great!! I’m happy you’re able to eq them to bring that bass down a bit. I agree they are a better earphone than the Jolene… overall. I love the Jolene too… and the Roxanne. Each one is just a different flavor. I consider myself lucky and grateful to be able to have the ability to choose. I love the clear shells you chose. It’s so cool being able to see the internals. And the caps look great too. You should put some pictures up of the underside of yours so we can see all the drivers and tech they’ve got in there. It’s been fun seeing the designs everyone goes for. Haven’t seen a cobalt yet I don’t think…
How do you compare Roxanne to Sharona?

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #223 of 534
To me the Sharona is superior in just about every way. The Roxanne is an older design, it’s been out for a bit… the Sharona sounds like a much more modern iem. It’s has vastly better extension in both directions. The Roxanne rolls off a bit in the sub bass, the Sharona digs down very deep into the sub bass with no roll off. It also has otherworldly treble extension with that new super tweeter. I’ve not heard treble extension like this in any transducer before. You catch all sorts of upper frequency stuff you haven’t heard before. It also sounds much more natural and they have all but neutralized that “BA timbre” sound… the Roxanne sounds like BA’s … the Sharona does not. I feel like if you put the Sharona in my ears and I had no clue what it was, and then you told me it was all dynamic drivers… I think I’d believe you. Just from the natural sound it produces and the bass rumble you get with it. It’s just more modern. There has been an insane amount of moving the needle as far as driver and iem tech is concerned over the last 5 years, 10 years. And they’ve done the R&D here and taken advantage of the progress that’s been made. There’s also a lot more detail retrieval in the Sharona, it’s cleaner, more detailed and just sounds bigger as well. It feels like the razors edge of what’s possible with BA’s today, where as the Roxanne felt like that when it came out 5 years ago or so. How old is the Rox at this point? But here’s the deal, I still LOVE the Roxanne. I think I like the overall “tuning” of the Roxanne more than any other iem or headphone I’ve heard to date. For the music I listen to, which is primarily rock and metal… it’s the best tuning and frequency response I’ve encountered. It’s just fantastic for that music. And even though I have the Jolene and the Sharona, there are absolutely times when I put the Roxanne in my ears and feel like it’s still my favorite. It’s so freakin good with heavy music. There’s just something special about the frequency response / tuning. It works absolute wonders with big distorted guitars. It’s also much more forgiving of poorly recorded music, and being that I listen to a lot of metal… that’s pretty commonplace in my library. So as much as the Sharona is a technically superior iem, I still absolutely adore the Roxanne. I still listen to it all the time and I would never sell it. It’s just got some very special magic with the music I listen to. But if you’re looking at buying one or the other, I think the Sharona is the obvious choice with a much smaller chance that you wouldn’t like it. How do you like the Contour? I’d love to hear it at some point. I’ve considered picking it up.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #224 of 534

Sharona.png

I have mine yesterday and is using T2 connectors, Same as you I find to bassy for me and wish I ask for 4 or 7 pin if had known of the bass (My Jolene has 7 pin and bass knob at 2 pm)) Now only have to use EQ to bring down the bass. With the bass lowered, I prefer Sharona than Jolene (Both are a very good IEM to me)

Nice shells1 Both look fantastic!

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #225 of 534
To me the Sharona is superior in just about every way. The Roxanne is an older design, it’s been out for a bit… the Sharona sounds like a much more modern iem. It’s has vastly better extension in both directions. The Roxanne rolls off a bit in the sub bass, the Sharona digs down very deep into the sub bass with no roll off. It also has otherworldly treble extension with that new super tweeter. I’ve not heard treble extension like this in any transducer before. You catch all sorts of upper frequency stuff you haven’t heard before. It also sounds much more natural and they have all but neutralized that “BA timbre” sound… the Roxanne sounds like BA’s … the Sharona does not. I feel like if you put the Sharona in my ears and I had no clue what it was, and then you told me it was all dynamic drivers… I think I’d believe you. Just from the natural sound it produces and the bass rumble you get with it. It’s just more modern. There has been an insane amount of moving the needle as far as driver and iem tech is concerned over the last 5 years, 10 years. And they’ve done the R&D here and taken advantage of the progress that’s been made. There’s also a lot more detail retrieval in the Sharona, it’s cleaner, more detailed and just sounds bigger as well. It feels like the razors edge of what’s possible with BA’s today, where as the Roxanne felt like that when it came out 5 years ago or so. How old is the Rox at this point? But here’s the deal, I still LOVE the Roxanne. I think I like the overall “tuning” of the Roxanne more than any other iem or headphone I’ve heard to date. For the music I listen to, which is primarily rock and metal… it’s the best tuning and frequency response I’ve encountered. It’s just fantastic for that music. And even though I have the Jolene and the Sharona, there are absolutely times when I put the Roxanne in my ears and feel like it’s still my favorite. It’s so freakin good with heavy music. There’s just something special about the frequency response / tuning. It works absolute wonders with big distorted guitars. It’s also much more forgiving of poorly recorded music, and being that I listen to a lot of metal… that’s pretty commonplace in my library. So as much as the Sharona is a technically superior iem, I still absolutely adore the Roxanne. I still listen to it all the time and I would never sell it. It’s just got some very special magic with the music I listen to. But if you’re looking at buying one or the other, I think the Sharona is the obvious choice with a much smaller chance that you wouldn’t like it. How do you like the Contour? I’d love to hear it at some point. I’ve considered picking it up.
Well said, completely agree with your description of Sharona and Roxanne for that matter. BTW hard to believe Roxanne is 8 years old, its still my go to IEM if im out and about or traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back