JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 329
any iems in the market that is comparable to jh rosie

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #34 of 329
Hi Headfiers,

Just picked up the JHA Rosie recently and hopefully could give a few impressions of the Rosie vs IE800 after about 100 hours burn-in.
I'm in no way associated with any of these brands or resellers.

Previous set-up:
IE 800, Comply Foam Ts400, MRQ portable AMP w/ Astell & Kern PEF16 Piccolo 3.5mm cable (This I found balanced the bass biased nature of IE800 to become more neutral), Source LG G3 phone or Fiio X3 2nd Gen - NO EQ.

Impressions of JHA Rosie:

FIRST thing I did with my pair of Rosie and during audition was turn the BASS knobs down to the 12 O'clock position - for some reason they seem to ship these set to full blast +13Db of bass...
With the bass more natural sounding and less hard rock oriented. I would say the biggest difference coming from the IE800 was the presentation - Rosie is more full bodied sounding and more intimate like you're within the band; with the IE800 you listen to your music as if from the audience position and was only slightly comparitively sounding thinner. Soundstage and punch though I would still say IE800 has the better punch - likely due to it's Dynamic and baffled speaker/vented design.

For my genre of music, IE800 is great - neo orchestral or anything requiring good sound staging, but when it came to vocals the Rosie was evidently better. The level of detail and clarity is about on-par from both; the IE800 does seem crisper with a slightly darker presentation, but in terms of musical engagement and warmth go with Rosie. Overall the Rosie with the bass tuned down was just more multidisciplined and consistently deliver, if you do listen to rock a lot, I think the Rosie is clearly a better choice - this may be down to the history of JHA and their tuning still seems to make it's way through to their product.

Comfort wise and portability, IE800 is easily the better, but also has less isolation due to it's vented design. The biggest problem I found with the IE800 was to really make it perform well you need to bring along the portable amp and cable etc.. which kind of defeats 'portability'. The Rosie was quite straight forward and sounded GREAT even straight off the phone - surprisingly easy to drive with adjustable bass on the cable - it is a bulky unit though and HUGE comapred to the IE800.

I have previously tried JHA's other models - Roxanne, Layla, Angie - and was always disappointed with them - they felt too flavoured to my ears, but with Rosie it does seem like they have made a universal version of the reverred JH13 customs, with bass tuning as a bonus thankfully.

I hope some of this helps as some loose reference material, I would strongly recommend auditioning everything yourself first regardless.

Happy Headfi'ing!

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #35 of 329
Does anyone have both the Rosie and a Westone UM Pro 50?

I am a little worried that  my ears are  too small for "Rosie"

I would love to see a side by side comparison shot of the two models ... to see the size difference before I actually pull the trigger.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 329
  Does anyone have both the Rosie and a Westone UM Pro 50?

I am a little worried that  my ears are  too small for "Rosie"

I would love to see a side by side comparison shot of the two models ... to see the size difference before I actually pull the trigger.

um pro 50 definitely has a better fit than the rosie!

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #41 of 329
I would say miles better! To me the UM Pro 50 sound terrible, and I am a big Westone fan.

However I don't understand why JH Audio is coming up with so many different versions of the same IEMs. I have Roxanne and Layla and I think they all sound very similar, in fact Rosie doesn't sound that difference from my Layla universal. And now they have Layla II, is that really necessary? I think Rosie is a good buy if one can get good fit with them.

Quote:

but in terms of sound, rosie is better haha

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #42 of 329
rosie is the most balanced out of the entire JH lineup despite it being the entry level iem. On another note, I avoid Shure and Westone products completely. Below par performance.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #43 of 329
Yes, Rosie are very balanced sounding, that's why I love it, but it also depends a lot on the fit and the tips. However, um3x/pro 30 are still my fav IEMs, and am still using them all the time. I like my SE846 and KSE1500, but don't like anything else from Shure (apart from their microphones).

Quote:
rosie is the most balanced out of the entire JH lineup despite it being the entry level iem. On another note, I avoid Shure and Westone products completely. Below par performance.

May 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #45 of 329
i dont like all shure products except kse1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back