JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #241 of 739
So I have just ordered a Universal Lola, from Amazon Japan store. I was hesitant at the standard retail price of USD 1599, but if anyone is interested, new Lolas are being sold at equivalent of USD 1,100 at that Japan Amazon site.. couldn't resist at that price. They will ship outside Japan, but not sure what import duties will apply if you ship to US. Still, I cant imagine, even with any duties, that the total price will be anywhere near the US price of 1599 (even if you are a member of JH crew program, and get their discount, the Lola's will still cost around USD 1450, excluding local taxes). Funny how you can find such pricing differences across Amazon's own global websites...

For the record, I have the JH 16 Pro and the JH Roxannes , so you can see I very much like the "so called" JH Audio house sig: slight bass boost, warm mids, and detailed yet NOT shrill or sibilant trebles (I just hate sibilance, or fatiguing trebles... )

My musical tastes change from one period to the next, lately I have been into a lot of tracks dominated by acoustic guitars + male or female vocals.. So I think I will be in my happy place with the Lola's :)

Congrats on the bargain! That's about the street price in China on the regular though (CNY 8k-ish).

I need a pair of Lola for myself too. :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #242 of 739
Have you listened to the Denton wharfdale 80th anniversary ed bookshelf speakers. Very smooth, warm, non-fatiguing and musical sound

No, as those don't go down low enough, minimize diffraction, control their directivity, or have an active crossover.

The three I'm looking at are the Dutch & Dutch 8C, Genelec 8260, and Kii Three.

Already tried multiple speakers from $250 sale on a pair of JBL LSR308/speakers, a used pair of Mackie HR824 that got down to 35 hz, to an Elac Navis that was $2,000.

Sticking with my Hivi 3.1 DIY three way set plus a sub an MiniDSP for now until the Kali IN-8 comes out. (Concentric mid/tweeter, 8" woofer.)

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #243 of 739
I am still wondering why Roxanne was recommended by a lady at JL Audio as an upgrade from my Angie II instead of Lola.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #244 of 739
Adjustable bass, so there's more or less aligned of it, less scooped mids (TripleFi didn't seem too bad with that, though a bit of a U) and on "Circle of Life" my Lola doesn't have the annoying treble peak that made me get rid of the TF10 when the tinkling sound during the latter part of that song played.
What about detail, transparency, and soundstage?

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #246 of 739
I have been listening to my JH 16v2’s customs for the last month or so. Switched back to my custom Lola’s today. OMG, a huge difference! Bass is more pronounced but smooth. Sound stage is wider, and has more three dimensual sound stage. Vocals are smoother. A much more fun experience :).

I really appreciate them a lot more now.
Which do you prefer for listening to pink floyd? Do you have any experience with the older ue triple fi 10's. Looking to upgrade from them to either the jh 16v2 pr lola's and leaning towards lola. Just wonder how much of an upgrade the sound would be in the Lola's. I listen for enjoyment but I do still want earphones that dont sacrifice detail and dynamics, stereo imaging, layering ect. Any thoughts?

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #247 of 739
What about detail, transparency, and soundstage?

How would you define and measure those? Detail wise, I'd say lack of ringing and good impulse response. I think most modern drivers are transparent to the human ear when it comes to this. (In a blind test one couldn't accurately note the difference.)

Soundstage wise IEMS seem like the vary between have 2-3% of a normal speaker soundstage so I don't worry about that and think many people overstate the differences.

Can't comment on musicality, smoothness, graineyness, and all those terms for similar reasons.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #248 of 739
How would you define and measure those? Detail wise, I'd say lack of ringing and good impulse response. I think most modern drivers are transparent to the human ear when it comes to this. (In a blind test one couldn't accurately note the difference.)

Soundstage wise IEMS seem like the vary between have 2-3% of a normal speaker soundstage so I don't worry about that and think many people overstate the differences.

Can't comment on musicality, smoothness, graineyness, and all those terms for similar reasons.
I am not well versed in describing the differences between headphones/iems. These are terms I have heard used to describe them that I feel communicate those differences. My main question is would the Lola's feel like a large upgrade in quality compared to my triple fi 10's or just a very incremental upgrade with different sounds signature

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #249 of 739
I feel that there is a big difference between the 16v2 and Lola. I am not versed in all the verbiage. However, I bought Lola and listened a few months and then switched back to 16v2. After 3 months went back to Lola and never looked back. I enjoy them more. More fun... more pleasure. Better sound stage. Better everything. Sorry I can’t be more audiophile..:wink:

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #250 of 739
I feel that there is a big difference between the 16v2 and Lola. I am not versed in all the verbiage. However, I bought Lola and listened a few months and then switched back to 16v2. After 3 months went back to Lola and never looked back. I enjoy them more. More fun... more pleasure. Better sound stage. Better everything. Sorry I can’t be more audiophile..:wink:
To be honest I am not that well versed either. Do you listen much to pink floyd? Which pair was more emotional, or revealing with their music? And congrats on the sony wm1z , my dream player. Plus one hell of a self defense weapon of needed. Lol

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #251 of 739
Pink Floyd is great. Also have the Moon Audio Black Dragon cables. Very BIG improvement over the silver dragon cables. I also have them balanced. Sibilant sound was not a big issue, but now it is now existent. Base is deeper. Sound stage bigger.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #252 of 739
If you know of anyone that jas used the ue triple fi and either jh 16 or lola let me know.i have tried getting a comparison AMD even opened up a thread on it but no response on the thread and only very limited response of here. Thanks

May 4, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #254 of 739
Totally agree with you assessments. IMO Campfire has yet to make 1 good IEM, 1964 has yet to make 1 good IEM that justify its price.
I was a user of kse1500. Based on my memory I'd still say Lola is better. I could be wrong though.
I've heard rumors the Janis is basically a lola but with electrostatic high end rather than ba

I keep bass at 2:30 on Lola and 1:00 on Layla to get the same amount of bass. My WM1Z outputs beautiful bass. Layla has more driver, hence higher sensitivity, hence louder bass. But for whatever reason the 2 bass drivers in Lola just sounds more intimate, more defined, more punchy than the 4 bass drivers in Layla.

I'd say Layla is the more neutral IEM, as Lola has a slight bump in the upper mids. But to be scalpel-like, the first criteria would have to be overall clarity, transparency and imaging. Lola is just a technically better in those department. Layla sounds congested and muddy in comparison, possibly due to the inferior bass drivers used.

Now I'm really looking forward to the Janis. For one thing, its not acrylic shell so more durable. Same bass and mid drivers (at least that seems to be the case) as the Lola, and possibly better treble. If it ends up less than 2k I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back