Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
May 18, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #631 of 1,253
Thanks so much for your detailed initial run down! I have a pair of completely clear transparent Jolene's on the way; being that you are now the only individual that has posted a transparent shell, do you think you could upload a pic at an angle that shows the inner components? Also, what are your impressions on it's transparency? Lastly, what do you mean JH Audio doesn't utilize all 7 Pins?
For each pin to truly be utilized for something unique would require at least a 14 wire cable so that each pin had its own wire that could be used for whatever. So I don't believe they are actually utilizing each pin for something separate that can't be achieved with less pins, like the 4 pin cable.

At least that's my understanding of it.

May 18, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #632 of 1,253
For each pin to truly be utilized for something unique would require at least a 14 wire cable so that each pin had its own wire that could be used for whatever. So I don't believe they are actually utilizing each pin for something separate that can't be achieved with less pins, like the 4 pin cable.

At least that's my understanding of it.
Ah makes sense, sounds like a bit of future-proofing with the 7 Pin connectors as future 3rd party cables may be more likely to utilize all 7 pins. As for now, the benefits of the excellent sweat resistance and seal doesn't hurt!

May 18, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #633 of 1,253
Ah makes sense, sounds like a bit of future-proofing with the 7 Pin connectors as future 3rd party cables may be more likely to utilize all 7 pins. As for now, the benefits of the excellent sweat resistance and seal doesn't hurt!
Yes I believe that's part of it. Along with just building a more robust connector, likely with stage artists in mind. But I think the bass pod uses some of the pins, then I think the rest are there should they come up with something down the line.

May 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #634 of 1,253
Agree on 8k being the worst peak to have. That’s where it is “piercing”.

The guys can correct me if I’m wrong, but, to analyse peaks we compare with the other peaks (low and high peaks). For example in this case the difference between 1k and 8k is 10db… when adding the sub 50k peak the difference can be almost zero or 20db(!) those things helps balancing each other.

other point to look is the 4k peak compared to 8k. Definitely some recessed mids there.
Can the 8k peak be adjusted with EQ or is does it pose a serious problem from a neutral sounding standpoint?

May 18, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #636 of 1,253
I dont think its serious from a neutral stand point but if you have any sensitivity to it, it will be a problem. Not the worst implementation ive heard.
I do have a sensitivity to higher frequencies, but didn't notice any harshness when I demoed the Jolene. I have a pair on the way, hopefully it won't complicate my mixing in music production

May 18, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #637 of 1,253
Yes I believe that's part of it. Along with just building a more robust connector, likely with stage artists in mind. But I think the bass pod uses some of the pins, then I think the rest are there should they come up with something down the line.
Yeah, the longstanding rumour is that it'll eventually be incorporated in a DSP system that'll let you EQ the IEM with a smartphone app; almost like Audeze's Cipher, in theory. But, it looks like that'll still be a ways away in the future.

I do have a sensitivity to higher frequencies, but didn't notice any harshness when I demoed the Jolene. I have a pair on the way, hopefully it won't complicate my mixing in music production
I've mixed and mastered with them for the past couple months (sometimes hours on end), and I haven't noticed it at all. If you didn't hear it on the demo, you likely won't hear it on the custom. If anything, highs are almost always finer and smoother on the custom version.

May 18, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #638 of 1,253
Yeah, the longstanding rumour is that it'll eventually be incorporated in a DSP system that'll let you EQ the IEM with a smartphone app; almost like Audeze's Cipher, in theory. But, it looks like that'll still be a ways away in the future.
The concept you speak up appears to have been bouncing around for years; it is mentioned towards the end of Jerry's talk at Google in this video, check it out if you haven't already, really interesting stuff.
I've mixed and mastered with them for the past couple months (sometimes hours on end), and I haven't noticed it at all. If you didn't hear it on the demo, you likely won't hear it on the custom. If anything, highs are almost always finer and smoother on the custom version.
I am glad to hear that from you! How have they held up for you from a mixing and mastering standpoint, would you say that they are neutral enough to use as a point of reference?

May 18, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #639 of 1,253
Thanks so much for your detailed initial run down! I have a pair of completely clear transparent Jolene's on the way; being that you are now the only individual that has posted a transparent shell, do you think you could upload a pic at an angle that shows the inner components? Also, what are your impressions on it's transparency? Lastly, what do you mean JH Audio doesn't utilize all 7 Pins?
Nace,

Thank you for the kind words!
Just wanted to pay it forward as I've been helped by others here on Head-Fi, and if someone was on the fence, just want to say, jump in the waters fiine!

Apologies for the delay but was working....

I chose the grey translucent as I didn't want the true "clear" bodies as having some mystery was my goal, but wanted to see the inner workings if I really wanted to
Chose a selection of shots that help you visualize just how much space what is included takes in these IEM's
I can tell you every spare millimeter is used inside. Compared to my Roxanne's which has empty space, there is none in the Jolene's and IC's and wiring is taking space where they can amongst all of the drivers

I've attached for shots. Sorry again not great quality shots
Again since I choose the grey it is slightly hidden but should give you an idea.

As to 4 pin Vs. 7 pin. I've included a coupe of shots I found on the internet that show the wiring of the 4 pin socket and the Bass Adjusters to a standard connector, and noticed others have mentioned the 7 pin is for future HW, that well they can't add to my existing IEM's so for me it was leveraging what I have already via the 4pin connector. Just Damn Glad JH Audio would build it this way for me!
When the format really changes, well I'll be looking then to see is it time to upgrade
Hope these photos and info help!

And if interested, it was just over 3 weeks from time of order to delivery even with the curve balls I threw them of building with the 4Pin connector and the artwork.

Attachments

• IMG_6914 (2).jpg
    IMG_6914 (2).jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6916 (2).jpg
    IMG_6916 (2).jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6918 (2).jpg
    IMG_6918 (2).jpg
    755 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6921 (2).jpg
    IMG_6921 (2).jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8590.JPG
    IMG_8590.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 0
  • JH Audio 4 pin connector.jpg
    JH Audio 4 pin connector.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #640 of 1,253
Nace,

Thank you for the kind words!
Just wanted to pay it forward as I've been helped by others here on Head-Fi, and if someone was on the fence, just want to say, jump in the waters fiine!

Apologies for the delay but was working....

I chose the grey translucent as I didn't want the true "clear" bodies as having some mystery was my goal, but wanted to see the inner workings if I really wanted to
Chose a selection of shots that help you visualize just how much space what is included takes in these IEM's
I can tell you every spare millimeter is used inside. Compared to my Roxanne's which has empty space, there is none in the Jolene's and IC's and wiring is taking space where they can amongst all of the drivers

I've attached for shots. Sorry again not great quality shots
Again since I choose the grey it is slightly hidden but should give you an idea.

As to 4 pin Vs. 7 pin. I've included a coupe of shots I found on the internet that show the wiring of the 4 pin socket and the Bass Adjusters to a standard connector, and noticed others have mentioned the 7 pin is for future HW, that well they can't add to my existing IEM's so for me it was leveraging what I have already via the 4pin connector. Just Damn Glad JH Audio would build it this way for me!
When the format really changes, well I'll be looking then to see is it time to upgrade
Hope these photos and info help!

And if interested, it was just over 3 weeks from time of order to delivery even with the curve balls I threw them of building with the 4Pin connector and the artwork.
I greatly appreciate the time you took to take those pictures and supply further explanation! I can safely say that your pics as well as your point that every square millimeter is used in this custom cause me to have no regrets and all excitement for my completely clear transparent shells (and faceplates; yes, literally bare bones). I am going to school for audio engineering, so being able to visualize the components I am controlling is an added benefit.

Thanks for mentioning the build time, I got impressions done in the L.A. studio and they sent them out the next day, but considering they are going to Orlando minus the simplicity of the shell, I expect a similar turnaround.

What is your take on the 8k peak? Noticeable or forgettable? I believe my high frequency sensitivity may stop beyond 4k but was curious about your own personal experience.

May 18, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #641 of 1,253
I greatly appreciate the time you took to take those pictures and supply further explanation! I can safely say that your pics as well as your point that every square millimeter is used in this custom cause me to have no regrets and all excitement for my completely clear transparent shells (and faceplates; yes, literally bare bones). I am going to school for audio engineering, so being able to visualize the components I am controlling is an added benefit.

Thanks for mentioning the build time, I got impressions done in the L.A. studio and they sent them out the next day, but considering they are going to Orlando minus the simplicity of the shell, I expect a similar turnaround.

What is your take on the 8k peak? Noticeable or forgettable? I believe my high frequency sensitivity may stop beyond 4k but was curious about your own personal experience.
Nace

To be honest I did not notice it, (8K Peak) but again I only had about 30min before I started my burn in process.
Also I'm thinking doing some cable rolling will minimize this.
I've got a possible cable that is different than what I use on my Roxanne's that in "theory" is where I think I'll land, but until I spend some time listening in detail against my own reference material, I'm keeping an open mind.
But from my time with my Roxanne's, (and my Shure SE846's before, and 535 before that) cabling made a huge difference in attenuating issues, or smoothing them over via slight boosts in other areas.
But its all going to come down to your own ears
You've had advantage of having tried the demo units, and as Mashuto said it could be the deeper insertion, or how JH uses Freq Phase, or as some have mentioned how the measurements were made, this might be an issue or not, but again your ears will let you know quickly!.
But with limited time last night, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

I think I've seen others mention and Jude the proprietor of these forums state in a recent video about the Harmon Curve, state IEM/Headphones that looked great on paper/charts, disappointed, and those that appeared to have peaks/issues, were the most balanced/neutral earphones they've used.

In the end, trust your gut, and if its not quite there, look for things to help change the sound sig.
In the end, pretty sure you'll be happy with your choice, until something new catches your eye, and you'll be at it again
Or look at it this way, Your investment in Jolene's is less than other IEM's out there that are now $3500-$5000K, so while expensive it could have been worse (I Kid....)
All kidding aside, I think you'll be OK, and I've seen here trusted reviewers like Deezel177 saying things similar!

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #642 of 1,253
The concept you speak up appears to have been bouncing around for years; it is mentioned towards the end of Jerry's talk at Google in this video, check it out if you haven't already, really interesting stuff.

I am glad to hear that from you! How have they held up for you from a mixing and mastering standpoint, would you say that they are neutral enough to use as a point of reference?
Oh, I've definitely seen that video. I've quoted it numerous times throughout my time on Head-Fi. :D The concept actually almost came to fruition 2-3 years ago with an IEM called the Janis. I was supposed to be a 3-way hybrid with BA woofers, DDs for the mids and e-stat tweeters. They had concept images for the shells, the faceplates and the DSP component, and it was unveiled in a closed press event in China, which eventually got leaked. It never saw the light of the day, though. Perhaps, it simply wasn't ready to go to market. But, whatever the case may be, it's definitely something JH could pull out at any moment.

From a mixing and mastering standpoint, they've held up really well. Something that I really, really agreed with when I saw Jude's breakdown of Sennheiser's IE900 is that reference can be a range of frequency curves, rather than one, specific, "golden" frequency curve. It's something I've believed in for years. To me, the Jolene definitely falls into that category. It also helps that I can boost the low-end quite a bit, because the CL5 I'm using tends to cause low-end roll-off. So, I bump it up to compensate. But, yeah, overall, I've found the Jolene's neutrality perfect for mixing and mastering. The treble doesn't colour the sound at all. And, its precision allows for easy soundscape-building as well.

One more thing I should mention about the 8kHz peak on Crinacle's measurements is that his graphs always have an 8kHz resonance peak. He mentions it on his disclaimers. It's an inevitable peak, and he always tries his best to position it at 8kHz for consistency's sake. But, I think it's led to the 8kHz region being lifted on a lot of his graphs as well. I've compared the graphs I've taken with his, and most of them are extremely similar apart from the 8kHz region. So, take from that what you will. But, again, the treble you heard on the demo will very likely only be smoother on the custom.

May 19, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #643 of 1,253
Regarding the 8k peak, I've got the demo stuffed in my ears currently (it's one big, big IEM), and using Spinfits (for some more insertion depth as the nozzle is a bit short esp compared to the rest of the shell), I am not really noticing any brightness in the treble at all. It extends really well, and it is a pretty clear and lively treble response, but nothing even close to sibilance or what I'd personally consider bright.

Regarding the shape of the Jolene, I'd place it maybe as a gentle L? At 100%, the bass punches pretty hard, but at no point does it feel like it is dominating the performance or demanding all your attention. The midrange is very linear, and the treble has to my ears a bit of an upper treble tilt for that air and sparkle

May 19, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #644 of 1,253

Users who are viewing this thread

Back