Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Apr 25, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #556 of 1,253
Which design did you order? Mine were supposed to ship out but I didn’t get a notification unfortunately, hopefully Monday/Tuesday :frowning2:

These look incredible though, any impressions so far?

I just ordered the standard Jupiter. The Jolene plates look great but I have more understated preferences.

I haven't had much time but so far I like what I hear (only listened to rock so far - One song I usually listen to right away is 27 by Biffy Clyro). Also, I am traveling and only have the paw s1 with me. I feel like (hope) the WA8 will work well with the Jolene.

I'm not great at describing what I hear but I'll give some observations...

In a quick comparison it seems the Jolenes at 4 match the Layas at 3 (my normal setting) on bass quantity. Part of this might be that the dials seem to impact the overall sound differently (Jolene's impact seems more limited to the lower end than Layla). The bass extension does seem deeper and more visceral on the Jolene. So far at 4 they match my preference really well but I wish the dial went to 5. They aren't bass light but they certainly aren't a Legend X, Atlas, etc. at 4, and I personally don't see 1 as a useful setting on them.

The Jolene reminds me a bit of the Jomo Trinity Brass (which I loved). The instruments (drums and guitars) and vocals all sound fantastic - The natural sound really brings a smile to your face. However, when there's a lot going on at the same time (fast paced chords, symbols, etc.), the Laylas are easier on my ears. I think my brain just likes the separation (maybe tone) better. I hear a fuller sound vs thinner sound during those congested times.

I don't hear the harsh treble that I did with the Lolas so far (again, to my ears - many rave over the Lolas treble), which is good news for me.

Overall, I feel they'll likely be a good complement to the Laylas which is what I was hoping for.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #557 of 1,253
Are those real wood shells? And would it affect sound with better resonance 😛

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-152840.png
    Screenshot_20210425-152840.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210425-152814.png
    Screenshot_20210425-152814.png
    560.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #558 of 1,253
Here are some pics that show the Jolene size compared to the Layla. I didn't receive the design I ordered so unfortunately I need to send back :frowning2:

Looks like the Hyper Black (B&W) shells...but with the Jupiter (copper) faceplates (?). I think I see some small specs of brown/sand in the shells though.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #559 of 1,253
Are those real wood shells? And would it affect sound with better resonance 😛
The Nebula shells aren't wood. They're made of CNC-milled acrylic resin. The wood designs would be Bocote and Skater, with Purple Haze, Deep Sea and Blood Moon being wood-and-acrylic-resin hybrids. They won't affect how the IEMs sound, because the drivers are firing into tubes in a closed system. They're not using the shell as a resonating chamber.

Looks like the Hyper Black (B&W) shells...but with the Jupiter (copper) faceplates (?). I think I see some small specs of brown/sand in the shells though.
The shells are definitely Jupiter. The Hyper Black shells have no white or brown. They're all black-and-silver. I think there's just a bit less brown on this specific cut of Jupiter, but it could also be the image desaturating the browns a bit, because they're hidden in shadow. I think what the OP was referring to as "standard Jupiter" would be the Jupiter shells without the Jolene's metal faceplates. On JH's online designer, Jolene Jupiter and Jupiter are two different design options, and the faceplate is the difference.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #560 of 1,253
I just ordered the standard Jupiter. The Jolene plates look great but I have more understated preferences.

I haven't had much time but so far I like what I hear (only listened to rock so far - One song I usually listen to right away is 27 by Biffy Clyro). Also, I am traveling and only have the paw s1 with me. I feel like (hope) the WA8 will work well with the Jolene.

I'm not great at describing what I hear but I'll give some observations...

In a quick comparison it seems the Jolenes at 4 match the Layas at 3 (my normal setting) on bass quantity. Part of this might be that the dials seem to impact the overall sound differently (Jolene's impact seems more limited to the lower end than Layla). The bass extension does seem deeper and more visceral on the Jolene. So far at 4 they match my preference really well but I wish the dial went to 5. They aren't bass light but they certainly aren't a Legend X, Atlas, etc. at 4, and I personally don't see 1 as a useful setting on them.

The Jolene reminds me a bit of the Jomo Trinity Brass (which I loved). The instruments (drums and guitars) and vocals all sound fantastic - The natural sound really brings a smile to your face. However, when there's a lot going on at the same time (fast paced chords, symbols, etc.), the Laylas are easier on my ears. I think my brain just likes the separation (maybe tone) better. I hear a fuller sound vs thinner sound during those congested times.

I don't hear the harsh treble that I did with the Lolas so far (again, to my ears - many rave over the Lolas treble), which is good news for me.

Overall, I feel they'll likely be a good complement to the Laylas which is what I was hoping for.
I really like the Trinity Brass too - I think the two reasons why I don’t own one are the staging width and treble extension. The Jolene seems to address both of those having read @Deezel177’s impressions :)

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #561 of 1,253

Like Deezel177 said, they are the Jupiter shells. They are mostly grey, black, and white with a tad bit of brown. They don't look like the online pictures but I really like them and hope they don't require a reshell due to the faceplate issue.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #562 of 1,253
Like Deezel177 said, they are the Jupiter shells. They are mostly grey, black, and white with a tad bit of brown. They don't look like the online pictures but I really like them and hope they don't require a reshell due to the faceplate issue.
I hope so as well man, yours are the most beautiful Jupiter I've seen. Aside from the faceplate issue, is good to see that you like the sound.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #563 of 1,253
I don't think so. Based on the behind-the-scenes footage they showed on the Jolene's launch video, underneath the metal faceplate should be the original Jupiter faceplate, so it isn't just a gaping hole. So, theoretically, all they'd have to do is remove the metal faceplate and sand off any remaining residue.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #566 of 1,253
There are also 2 other things I noticed once I got my pair... the first one is the carbon fiber case design is different from the one showing in the promo video...

this is what I got....
887DC9D4-1EF8-499A-A028-34BD14F6D08E.jpeg
This is from the video

7E1ACC84-5617-4D12-ADB8-53ED86EDF117.jpegAnd the 2nd thing is that, even though there are 4 sound tubes coming out of the drivers... there is only 3 sound bores at the nozzle, so 2 of them merge at the end. You can kind of appreciate the 3 sound bores in this view...

24ADE5EB-CF6F-48AA-8B84-B7B223CA380F.jpeg
🍻

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #567 of 1,253
I got my Jolenes on April 18th as well but had to send them back right away due to a channel unbalance. I’m already working with Jordan on the issue and hopefully I’ll get them back soon. Bummer!!
Thought I had settled on the Hyper Black Signature design, but these are beautiful.

Also, there seem to be some QC issues with these first batches of Jolenes.

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #568 of 1,253
There are also 2 other things I noticed once I got my pair... the first one is the carbon fiber case design is different from the one showing in the promo video...

this is what I got....
This is from the video

7E1ACC84-5617-4D12-ADB8-53ED86EDF117.jpegAnd the 2nd thing is that, even though there are 4 sound tubes coming out of the drivers... there is only 3 sound bores at the nozzle, so 2 of them merge at the end. You can kind of appreciate the 3 sound bores in this view...

🍻
Don Chuy,
Sorry to hear about the different graphics on your case.
I guess its personal taste, but I don't mind the graphics you got as I actually prefer the simpler Script Logo and small flygirl graphics I received with my Roxanne's a couple years back. I could go with either case, but understand the point your making.

As to there only being 3 bores in the nozzle/acoustic sound chamber, if you back up the video to the frame I'm putting here (trust me I've been watching that video and studied it) you can see the FreqPhase tubing for both Dynamic drivers connecting to the bore I've high lighted in Red, were the 2 join into one bore with a "Y" connector
1619491006233.png

If you let the video play, you'll see the dual mid dynamic driver's FreqPhase tube connect to the open port just ahead of the Y and thus both Dynamic drivers will send their sound through that bore.
The Mid-High and Ultra high BA drivers connect their FreqPhase Tubing to their own individual bores.

I put in my order for a pair, and keeping fingers crossed they worked out any build issues by the time they build mine!

Hope this information helps

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #569 of 1,253
Picked up my Jolenes today. The soundstage is HUGE on these. But the cable seems faulty I Iose signal in the left monitor all the time.
I got my Jolenes on April 18th as well but had to send them back right away due to a channel imbalance. I’m already working with Jordan on the issue and hopefully I’ll get them back soon. Bummer!!
Out-of-the-box issues are the most upsetting ones to hear about. Hopefully, JH are able to resolve them soon, and more cases don't show up in the future.

this is what I got....
This is from the video

🍻
That's interesting to hear. The case I got is the one they showed in the video. I mentioned the possibility of customising the graphic on the case in my upcoming review. Though, I may have to make special mention of what the default graphic can be as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back